Promethians are just plain cheap on Legendary

#21Karsh_14Posted 11/28/2012 7:59:39 PM
I play Spartan Ops on legendary, solo.

Never had a problem with a knight spawning multiple watchers, ever. Are you 100% sure this is happening?

I have never seen a Knight spawn a watcher more than once. In campaign or in Spartan Ops.

Also, here's a tip. Just like the elites (and every badguy really), the knights can be exploited when you're at far ranges. Most of the time you can kill them without them even firing back. One of the first things I noticed about enemy AI in Halo 4. Unless it's a Jackal, the enemy at long distances never returns fire, sometimes they dont even move.

Another thing. If incineration cannons are available, use them. One shot kills anything they touch.

I find the knights the easiest because they're usually running around with Scattershots and will attempt to long range you with them (Or toss pulse grenades).
---
Cheers.
#22Ephidel88(Topic Creator)Posted 11/30/2012 9:29:44 PM
Karsh_14 posted...
I play Spartan Ops on legendary, solo.

Never had a problem with a knight spawning multiple watchers, ever. Are you 100% sure this is happening?

I have never seen a Knight spawn a watcher more than once. In campaign or in Spartan Ops.

Also, here's a tip. Just like the elites (and every badguy really), the knights can be exploited when you're at far ranges. Most of the time you can kill them without them even firing back. One of the first things I noticed about enemy AI in Halo 4. Unless it's a Jackal, the enemy at long distances never returns fire, sometimes they dont even move.

Another thing. If incineration cannons are available, use them. One shot kills anything they touch.

I find the knights the easiest because they're usually running around with Scattershots and will attempt to long range you with them (Or toss pulse grenades).

Yes, 100% sure it was happening. It was the first and, thus far, only time I've seen it. I specifically watched the knight as I blew up the fresh watcher he just spawned, then respawned it over and over and over again.

My biggest problem at range was these ones were teleport-happy. Even when I dumped half my clip into one, reloaded, finished the shields, reloaded, then did a fina headshot barrage, it would teleport right at the last one. Over and over...Eventually I just resorted to shotgunning and AR to slowly mow them down and pray the watchers eventually stayed dead..which they did.
---
I am the rocks of the eternal shore...crash against me and be broken!
GT: Deadly Mantodea
#23OLDBOYviciousPosted 11/30/2012 9:37:29 PM
I totally agree, my mom told me to do my chores, and I said "awww, **** mom, but I dont WANT to play Infinity on Legendary again!"

she told me in that case I would at least have to take out the garbage and clean the dishes and vacuum the living room, so I thanked her profusely.
---
Board user Level: Master Chief, Awarded to those with Karma of 117
#24jimmytheballsPosted 11/30/2012 10:12:50 PM
I find that killing one Knight is a good way to attract the Watchers. One will come to revive it making it an easy kill. Then the next, and so on. I've never had the spawned as bad as you but I'd think with this method you can at least take out one Knight at a time.

But like others have said, use the Promethian auto weapon (forgot the name). It's so much easier. Or use the scatter shot. With these methods I can usually beat the Knights. The only Knights I've had a problem with was the ones with a Binary Rifle.

Anyway, practice makes perfect. You'll eventually find a way that works well!!
#25PatchTuesdayPosted 11/30/2012 10:27:16 PM(edited)
I also have my doubts that this actually happened, no offense to you, TS. Maybe go into theater to check?

Anyway, in Campaign, you rarely fight more than one or two Knights at a time. It happens, but it's uncommon. Like, the last level has you fight five or six at once in the final stretch, but that's like the last part of the last level, it's supposed to be slightly ridiculous. (The environment in said level conspires with you to make them a joke here anyway.)

Knights aren't all that tough, actually. If you can get a Knight by itself, and you aren't already injured from a previous fight, just Leeroy Jenkins it, preferably with a Suppressor. Even on Legendary, this is my go-to tactic against lone Knights. Automatic weapons work surprisingly well against them, but the Scattershot will also suffice. They actually operate a little bit like Hunters when you get in close.

If there are many, you can't separate them, and you can't find a power weapon, stick to the old fallbacks - sneak around and take potshots with the LR/BR/DMR/Carbine.
---
GT: Stringslayer420
#26Darkecho117Posted 11/30/2012 10:23:39 PM
I found the auto sentry armor ability really useful for distracting knights in the campaign
#27GeneralKenobi85Posted 11/30/2012 10:28:08 PM
I haven't had much trouble with them with my Plasma Pistol and BR loadout.
---
Ah, yes, the Negotiator: General Kenobi
<sneaky beeping>
#28GhostlyBenPosted 11/30/2012 10:29:20 PM
Wait till the end of the game.
#29That1GuyyPosted 11/30/2012 11:55:24 PM
I haven't played past the second round of Spec Ops episodes, but it's worth noting that for the campaign and the Spec Ops that I have played, the game pretty much throws power weapons at you. Play smarter, not harder. 4 isn't very hard.
---
Perfection. Where everyone fails.
If you expect nothing you can be happy for everything.
#30Ephidel88(Topic Creator)Posted 12/3/2012 5:39:33 PM
As far as I can tell, that was the only time I've had such a problem with respawning watchers. Maybe it was just respawning them because I hadn't moved in close enough to trigger something or whatever. Spartan Ops can be kinda poorly designed.

That scenario, actually, is now pretty tame compared to the latest. In the first part of the newest Sp Ops (worry not, I'm not gonna make spoilers), you must face Promethians on everyone's favorite base (the one where you get active cammo for the first time in the campaign..and UNSC cannot hold for more than a day, it seems).

Promethians galore, which was fine. Tons of them, but they aren't really THAT hard when there's no shinanigans. Then, I got to the last leg of the level, and the designers decided to simply spawn the entire enemy group all around me, at the usual start-point of that map (at the bottom). Fine and dandy, until I died. Then spawned with 3 knights directly behind me. Then continued to be shifted from one spawn to the other (the 2 starter-spawns at the bottom sides), always spawning within line of sight.

It's not the fault of the Promethian enemy design (though knight resurrection became a whole new level of annoying), but you'd think they'd give you a safe spawn location.

Aw well. Looking forward to very slowly going through the next chapters...and hopefully breaking from Promethians for a while. : )
---
I am the rocks of the eternal shore...crash against me and be broken!
GT: Deadly Mantodea