Why do we have a railgun?

#51Kage-No_KazePosted 11/28/2012 10:02:45 PM
You can still deal heavy damage to a Mantis with the Railgun, just won't kill it as quickly and can attack without warning.
#52MechaKirby(Topic Creator)Posted 11/28/2012 10:10:30 PM
Kage-No_Kaze posted...
You can still deal heavy damage to a Mantis with the Railgun, just won't kill it as quickly and can attack without warning.

thats like the only time I use it, against Mantis's
---
GTag/PSN: MechaknightX === ARE YOU READY FOR HALO 4!!??!
http://i.minus.com/i7veL9wbPUU85.gif
#53The Fir CoatPosted 11/28/2012 10:16:44 PM(edited)
It can take down a Knight's shields in one hit, which allows you to double tap them with the Light Rifle or the DMR.

Oh, you meant in multiplayer? The Railgun is awesome in multiplayer, why wouldn't it exist?
---
======,-' . . . . \###/ . . . .__. . . . ,'======= Auto Phoenix?!?
=====,-' . . . . . . . . . ./###\ . . ,'======== I'm boned!!
#54DrkVrtxPosted 11/28/2012 10:19:33 PM
ViktorMax posted...
I'd say that a railgun kill is probably the single most satisfying kill in this game.
#55UnhingedheadPosted 11/28/2012 10:21:08 PM
I feel that the balance has to be kept among the Human weapons. If you notice, the main rifles are the same way. You have 4-types, each with their own strengths and weaknesses. The Ar, Br, DMR, & SAW.

The Ar is your close to mid-range equalizer with decent sized clips, fast firing speed, and decent damage. The BR has good damage, also a decent fire speed, but can get headshots while in mid range. The DMR does long range fights, fires slowly, but has better accuracy and damage than the others. Finally the SAW, which is powerful, with a lot of ammo with the trade off of fast firing and short range.

You'll see the same balance between the RL, Sticky, Spartan Laser, and Railgun. The laser and the rockets are good against vehicles, while the sticky only works on light enemies and some light vehicles. The railgun is your heavy-enemy friendly counterpart. It fires faster than the spartan laser, and hits sooner than a rocket or a sticky. It just isn't as powerful as the rocket launcher or the laser. On the distance scale, it trumps the rl since rockets are so slow, ditto for the sticky, but the laser is for super distance.

Now, to answer your main point, why use the railgun when rockets are so much better? Situational. If you have both, use rockets on hunters, wraiths, and flyers. The railgun should only be used on ghosts, covenant, prometheans, and spartans. If you have both, odds are you'll be facing vehicles. If not, of course use the rocket launcher. JUST DONT BE SCARED OF HAVING OPTIONS!
#56mike468Posted 11/29/2012 12:10:29 AM
Not sure if its just me, but rockets seem to have a downward projectory as well. The railgun is straight as hell, plus the gun takes up far less screen space.
---
gamertag: Kabal31082
#57TorkzorPosted 11/29/2012 12:17:38 AM
Am I the only one who noticed they got the railgun medal wrong?

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121113175515/halo/images/8/87/Kill-railgun-kill.png

^That shows a coilgun:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Coilgun_animation.gif

Not a railgun:

http://web.mit.edu/mouser/www/railgun/halluc/pictures/rg3.jpg

I enjoyed this neat bit of trivia
---
http://i.imgur.com/ZaSlM.jpg
"Scissors are overpowered. Rock is fine." - Paper
#58Erroneous_SnakePosted 11/29/2012 12:25:56 AM
Cyanocitta posted...
Delta_F14 posted...
Railgun is a 1 shot kill...

...so are rocket. Rockets aren't useless against vehicles either.

The long range of the railgun is the only purpose I've found for it so far. The rare occassion when you see a cross map camper, or stationary sniper.

Hit a ghost with it earlier and was terribly surprised to see it okay.
---
This message has been brought to you from my Galaxy Nexus
#59Kage-No_KazePosted 11/29/2012 12:38:08 AM
INFRARED PYTHON posted...
Cyanocitta posted...
Delta_F14 posted...
Railgun is a 1 shot kill...

...so are rocket. Rockets aren't useless against vehicles either.

The long range of the railgun is the only purpose I've found for it so far. The rare occassion when you see a cross map camper, or stationary sniper.

Hit a ghost with it earlier and was terribly surprised to see it okay.

Takes two shots to kill a Mongoose/Ghost unfortunately. It won't come out alright at least.
#60AoENIACPosted 11/29/2012 2:07:30 AM
It's Spartan Laser: Low Calorie edition. Sucks against vehicles but is handy for anti-personnel compared to the laser since unlike the laser, the rail gun is at full power a few seconds before it forces you to fire, meaning you have a larger window to line up a shot and you also have a higher potential rate of fire. The down side is the projectile is not quite so instantaneous as the laser, and that it's worthless versus armor.

Personally I like it, especially on the Spartan Ops missions where it has infinite ammo.
---
Is there something about the way I type that makes it sound angry? Maybe it's just something about the way you read.