Why do we have a railgun?

#61Kage-No_KazePosted 11/29/2012 3:13:37 AM
AoENIAC posted...
It's Spartan Laser: Low Calorie edition. Sucks against vehicles but is handy for anti-personnel compared to the laser since unlike the laser, the rail gun is at full power a few seconds before it forces you to fire, meaning you have a larger window to line up a shot and you also have a higher potential rate of fire. The down side is the projectile is not quite so instantaneous as the laser, and that it's worthless versus armor.

Personally I like it, especially on the Spartan Ops missions where it has infinite ammo.

It's not completely worthless against armor, takes 6 shots against a Scorpion or Wraith, so while it might not rape one like the Splaser can, it's much harder to defend against at the cost of overall power. Pretty much 1-2 more people helping and it's highly likely you'll destroy the vehicle. It's more of a Jack of All Trades power weapon, at the very least it's great at assisting a vehicle kill.
#62NailbombPosted 11/29/2012 3:20:43 AM
Kage-No_Kaze posted...
It's not completely worthless against armor...

Not completely worthless, but most of the starting weapons will be better for destroying vehicles. The railgun is an AP weapon through and through.
---
I find it amusing that something a drunk person babbled at me is considered "common sense" by Dismind! - Brain Hammer
#63DSquariusPosted 11/29/2012 5:58:46 AM
Just FYI...once you start charging the railgun you can use your regular helmet zoom to hit long range targets.
---
Come at me bro
Xbox Live : DSquarius
#64xoAxeloxPosted 11/29/2012 6:22:38 AM(edited)
mike468 posted...
Yeah same here. One of the few power weapons I really like. I think it actually fires faster than the rocket launcher, plus you really don't have to worry about splash damage in close quarters. The only downside IMO is there is no way to cancel the shot while its powering up.

uh

there is this thing called YY that has been used since the dawn of halo
---
PSN: axeei
XBL GT: axeeeeeeeeL
#65puggerisusePosted 11/29/2012 6:29:29 AM
Happy_MCG posted...
If you feel that way then you're doing it wrong.

You do know that you can fire it immediately when the half-moon part of the reticle fills, correct?

Seriously? Well thanks.
---
dual optiic la2er bla2t!
#66Kage-No_KazePosted 11/29/2012 6:46:29 AM
Nailbomb posted...
Kage-No_Kaze posted...
It's not completely worthless against armor...

Not completely worthless, but most of the starting weapons will be better for destroying vehicles. The railgun is an AP weapon through and through.

Not really. The Railgun does damage to vehicles much faster than any of the starting weapons do. DMR has proven to be the fastest so far and it'll take ~30 seconds of constant firing, no shots missing to destroy a Mantis. Takes ~17 seconds to do the same with the Railgun.
#67Killean_NuggetsPosted 11/29/2012 7:04:01 AM(edited)
with no scope.

The railgun a scope....
---
vBlite
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pw5x_bc9Lvo&feature=plcp
#68zeroboboPosted 11/29/2012 7:25:55 AM
why do we have an assault rifle? the SAW does way better.

why do we have a DMR? the sniper rifle does way better

why do we have concussion rifle? the fuel rod gun is better

why do we have a rocket launcher? the incineration cannon is better.

ect. ect. ect.
---
Gamertag: Clonedzero
#69patkelly929Posted 11/29/2012 7:35:51 AM
ViktorMax posted...
I'd say that a railgun kill is probably the single most satisfying kill in this game.

After launching an enemy into a wall with it, I felt like Agent Coulson in the Avengers.

"...So that's what it does."
---
"Gary was here. Ash is a loser!" = Greatest Tramp Stamp Ever