Made a medium size, symmetrical map to share (images and video included)

#1dante2k5Posted 11/29/2012 9:15:54 PM
With a lack of proper fileshare functionality, it's nearly impossible to preview a map before you download it, so I thought I'd make it more convenient by offering up some media for you:

http://imgur.com/a/PeFUW#0

Walkthrough - Overview Camera:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4c4sHz7kx-o

Walkthrough - Player Perspective:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2Fn8ZaTIhU

My GT is Dante2k4.
Map name is Archie Station.

Recommend 6-12 players for team games, and 4-8 players for free-for-alls. Though I will mention, this level was really designed around CTF and Team Slayer.

NOTE: This video is of a not-quite-finished version of the level. There have been a few adjustments since this was made:

- Weapon placement is no longer via ordnance drops. Snipers, Shotgun, DMRs, BRs, ARs, and Grenades are all placed on the map normally, classic Halo style.

- The bridge ramps used for the lower walkway in the center have been flipped around, so they no longer have railing.

- The ramp at the front of each base has had the inner wall stripped away because it made it feel too claustrophobic.

A lot of people seem to dislike the lack of small-medium sized symmetrical maps in Halo 4, but it just so happens, those are my favorite kind to create!

From playtesting, the map feels pretty fast paced (at least with 10-12 players. Maybe 4v4 would feel different?). A lot of action takes place in the center, but getting off to the lower side bridges and their sniper towers offers a great control point to change the momentum of the game.

There are multiple levels, a variety of sight lines to keep action moving, and even a man-cannon to launch you to the center of the map.

I've had a lot of fun with Archie Station, so hopefully you will as well. If you find the time to leave me some feedback, it is always VERY appreciated. I want to know pros and cons. Tell me about weapon placements you don't like, cover that shouldn't be where it is, etc. I'm going to continue to make maps, and the best way for me to improve is to hear about what works and what doesn't work.

So feel free to tell me what you think! I really genuinely enjoy hearing peoples criticisms, and of course their praises, and I'm very much wanting feedback so that I can make better designs in the future. I love designing levels so I'd really like to keep getting better.

Fun Fact: If you look at the space behind Red Base, it's all orange/red/yellow, and the if you look at the space behind Blue Base, it's all dark and blue. I didn't actually mean for it to end up that way, but I thought it was pretty killer once I noticed.

Anyways, I hope someone ends up liking it. Somewhere. At least a little bit.
#2puppyPosted 11/29/2012 9:19:36 PM
Pretty cool man, I know the feeling...when you finally get a map finished...feels good.

I might peep it sometime.
---
You look under puppy's message.
You find a potion!
#3thethirdthoughtPosted 11/29/2012 9:28:03 PM
Overall map design seems pretty cool.
#4dante2k5(Topic Creator)Posted 11/29/2012 9:57:12 PM
Thanks! Hope you like it (if you find time to play it).
#5thethirdthoughtPosted 11/29/2012 10:08:37 PM(edited)
dante2k5 posted...
Thanks! Hope you like it (if you find time to play it).

I will. One of the problems i have with forge is how dull the colors and pieces/objects look.Though for this map i would recommend a bit more cover since it has plenty or a lot of open space.
#6L337_MuffenPosted 11/29/2012 10:13:40 PM
Nice map looking at it now, might actually use it really soon
---
Be careful around explosions, they're contagious.
GT: L337 Muffen
#7MAZZA69Posted 11/29/2012 10:32:49 PM
Sweet! Definitely gonna download this next time I play.
#8Jaeger13Posted 11/29/2012 10:34:00 PM
i may have to download this...and it will be the first one i download.
---
gt: Jaeger00013
Come to the dark side...we have cookies!!!
#9dante2k5(Topic Creator)Posted 11/29/2012 11:27:29 PM
@thethirdthought:

Are there some areas that really felt like they needed more cover? I tried to put cover where it seemed necessary, but if a certain spot looks a bit bare, let me know where it is and I'll investigate a bit further.

@everyone else:

Hope it doesn't disappoint! And if you remember, feedback is always appreciated :]
#10Wolfsangel90Posted 11/29/2012 11:30:53 PM
Looks nice, I'll probably give it a DL later. Honestly wish the DLC had something along these lines rather than vortex/abandon knock-offs.
---
And this stillness of life did not in the least resemble a peace.
It was the stillness of an implacable force brooding over an inscrutable intention.