Not a fan of the Spartan IV's, nor Sarah Palmer

#1manrightcheaPosted 12/2/2012 2:02:55 AM(edited)
Overall, they are less respectable than any of the other Spartans IMO. Johnson was the only S1 I believe that we were introduced to in the games, and of course was exemplary. The S3's were capable and honorable in battle, even if not quite as powerful as the incredibly skilled SII's.

These Spartan IV's however, I am not a fan. They seem undisciplined: from De Marco unknowingly making a pass at his C.O to Houya with his dangerous rambo routine. Thorne may become the most likeable eventually. They just seem so inferior to what you think of when you think of a Spartan. This includes Sarah Palmer, who has to be one of the worst main characters in a while, about as rude as can be to any and everyone but Lasky. She would likely have been court martialed and/or dishonorably dishcharged long ago for insubordination.
---
GT: FRANK NlTTl
"I am a great wind who will sweep all before me like a........a great wind!"
#2MarkVIMarksmanPosted 12/2/2012 2:21:09 AM
Lmao she would not be court martialed my man. Trust it coming from someone in the submarine force.
---
Seal 2 Remember
#3NovaLevossidaPosted 12/2/2012 2:23:33 AM
I don't get too disappointed with cardboard cutouts. They are fragile, and a strong sigh of frustration would blow them away. I don't expect good writing in FPS games, and you rarely get it anyway in other genres in the medium. A lot of the writing here is poor, and none of it is what I would put in the category of "made the effort."
---
Invading world of the guilty as spirit of vengeance The guilty pay the price.
I hate Square-Activision's FFXIII and its slew of cash-in spin-offs & sequels
#4Zilong17Posted 12/2/2012 2:25:06 AM
That's because....they aren't. The SIVs are stated to be volunteers and encompass surviving Spartain IIs and IIIs, in addition to all new volunteers. Almost none of them have the upbringing or conditioning of their preceding ranks. They're stereotypical "badass special forces" and they revel in it.
---
"You wanted picture perfect...Scream if you want to, shout if you need, fight if you need to, smash if it helps you get control; take it out on me!"
#5rainedownPosted 12/2/2012 2:30:22 AM
I really don't get the hate for Palmer. If it were a tough guy playing the part instead, I think she'd be a fan favorite. They really didn't give quite enough in the way of scenes to back up her attitude, but it feels appropriate if the original CO of the infinity is any example, it's well deserved.

I think the S4's in general were 'dumbed down' to a certain degree because they're completely representative of us in versus and spartan ops. It also makes Chief seem all the more different by comparison.

I mean, I get that they didn't put enough in the game to back up where they were going with all of this, but I don't think she's bad enough to warrant all the complaints, nor are the S4's so bad.
#6SpiduxLimitlessPosted 12/2/2012 2:31:46 AM
MarkVIMarksman posted...
Lmao she would not be court martialed my man. Trust it coming from someone in the submarine force.

I can also back this up serving in the armed service myself (as well as my wife, my best friends, some of my family, etc...). Being Rude doesn't do **** if you're an officer of any kind. She ain't an E-3, that's for sure.
---
They call me Spoke Wrecker...
Thizz iz what it iz GT-Spidux
#7manrightchea(Topic Creator)Posted 12/2/2012 2:46:10 AM
rainedown posted...
I really don't get the hate for Palmer. If it were a tough guy playing the part instead, I think she'd be a fan favorite. They really didn't give quite enough in the way of scenes to back up her attitude, but it feels appropriate if the original CO of the infinity is any example, it's well deserved.

I think the S4's in general were 'dumbed down' to a certain degree because they're completely representative of us in versus and spartan ops. It also makes Chief seem all the more different by comparison.

I mean, I get that they didn't put enough in the game to back up where they were going with all of this, but I don't think she's bad enough to warrant all the complaints, nor are the S4's so bad.

She's no Sgt. Johnson, you can be tough and authoritative without talking down on any and everyone. The way that she mocks and belittles people is the reason I can't stand her ass. Her rude ass demeanor, in Spartan Ops especially, would make me want to choke the *****.
---
GT: FRANK NlTTl
"I am a great wind who will sweep all before me like a........a great wind!"
#8GrimnoPosted 12/2/2012 3:52:20 AM
The Spartan IV's are the first "public" Spartan group (As read in the LE pamplets).
Unlike the other groups that were more "hush hush", these ones are in the spotlight, signing autographs and smiling for Pepsi commercials
While they do have the augmentations needed to survive using the armor that is on par with the master chief's, they don't have the discipline so they are... military jarheads.
I personally like them like that, since it makes you go "Oh God... what has become of Spartan." but it also gives them personalities so you can identify with them, etc etc etc.

Course if you think the Spartans are going downhill now, you should see the future projects!

Spartan IV's - Trained Volunteers from Branches of the Military and Previous Spartan Groups
Spartan V's - Normal Marines just given bigger weapons.
Spartan VI's - Everyone in Medical Bay's B through J
Spartan VII's - The Fry Cooks onboard the Infinity
Spartan VIII's - Homeless people we abducted using dirty magazines and half a sandwhich.
Spartan VIII's - Dr. Cox from Scrubs
Spartan IX's - A picture with an angry face scribbled on it that we dangle from a string at defensive positions surrounding key military locations.
Spartan X's - Dutch Manhandler, The Handler of Many Men
---
~Grimno (The Eccentric Gamer) "I don't need luck, I have ammo."
Dragon's Dogma Pawn - Ridmond
#9BrokenRainY57Posted 12/2/2012 4:06:07 AM
In my view the S-VI's aren't really Spartans, just ODST's or Marines with power armor. Palmer has the stereotypical Marine attitude, which I think is amped a bit by her being a female CO that needs to keep idiots like DeMarco in line. Though yeah, I don't get why she passes the attitude along to Crimson (us), when they're obviously her best team.
#10Nintendo_toPosted 12/2/2012 4:19:16 AM
Crimson is the most unresponsive team on Infinity, and they interfere with their own com lines by shooting radios that transmit RoosterTeeth back to HQ.