How could this game be more restrictive than Halo CE?

#21RickGotti(Topic Creator)Posted 12/3/2012 10:20:28 AM
ParanoidObsessive posted...
The funny part is, when Halo:CE originally came out, I remember a lot of my friends hated the level where you had to wander aimlessly around looking for the escape pods because there was too much area to search, most of it looked like the rest of it so it was easy to get lost, and the game was less than helpful at nudging you in the right direction.

Which is not to say the best answer is to put the player on a rail and never let them deviate, but I'm not sure dumping them in a wide-open space and letting them flounder is the best, either.

The game realized when people were lost & gave markers to the next pod if you took too long
---
GamerTag: xMinorThreat
#22MlCKHEADPosted 12/3/2012 10:25:13 AM
I think all this talk of making games linear because of making the frame rate and graphics better is nonsense. Halo CE: Anniversary had good graphics and the campaign stayed the same as the original. Other games like Skyrim have amazing graphics, but not at the expense of having linear gameplay.

The reason Halo 4 is so linear is to appeal to the more attention deficite player. The one who doesn't want to have to figure out where to go, and wouldn't want to explore or go anywhere that didn't lead to the next section of the game. They would rather be put on a straight path the entire time, and wouldn't explore even given the option.
#23SpiduxLimitlessPosted 12/3/2012 10:29:44 AM
Fade_Chokes posted...
RickGotti posted...
When did Halo come out? 2001? How could a game that came out 11 years later have less freedom than the original? When you land on Halo, you have a completely open area & pods scattered about that you could track down in any order & in any way you want. Where is this type of freedom in Halo 4? There is not one level in this game that is as good as:

Halo
Silent Cartographer
Truth & Reconciliation

They should concentrate less on trying to impress w/ graphics & more on impressing w/ good levels. This is the first of the halo campaigns that I feel I'm just slogging through

Although I agree with your point, you chose a weird time to complain about it. Open levels have only existed in CE, they weren't in Halo 2, Halo 3, or Reach, so at this point it's just following a trend.

Although I do hope for open levels again I highly doubt it will happen.

While that's true, Halo 2 didn't have killzones or fake walls. The second level you can go anywhere you want, and when you first land on Delta Halo you can pretty much just start walking up the ring (...until you fall into blue hell 15 minutes into your journey).

I miss that aspect from the first two Halo games, the exploration. I understand these aren't Sandbox games, but damn it was so fun to treat them as such.

Anyone else get warthogs and ghosts outside of Sidewinder to explore as much as possible, then go jumping back into the map?
---
They call me Spoke Wrecker...
Thizz iz what it iz GT-Spidux
#24NovaLevossidaPosted 12/3/2012 10:33:59 AM
Halo 1: Copy / paste room designs over and over and over with some open areas before going back into copy / paste rooms over and over and over. Half the game is backtracking as well just to extend their copy / paste designs. So exciting! It didn't impress me at the time, and it still doesn't.

Halo 4: Repetitive objectives ("Chief, disable / activate / touch / interact with these 3 objects, and do it again in every mission after that!"). Copy / paste setpieces to an extent, and definite copy / paste building blocks. More linear.

To be honest, neither of them have a good campaign compared to a lot of PC FPS campaigns, and I'll go ahead and say Goldeneye had a better campaign. About the only thing Halo has going for its campaigns is co-op.
---
Invading world of the guilty as spirit of vengeance The guilty pay the price.
I hate Square-Activision's FFXIII and its slew of cash-in spin-offs & sequels
#25DuwstaiPosted 12/3/2012 10:40:12 AM
they just decided to go the linear route. Nothing wrong with it though I did preder ces campaign (well except the later copy/paste levels).

If they wanted to make big open areas with more freedom they could have. Lol at the console holding them back. It was just a design choice.
---
balls