halo's plot holes

#61Nacht004Posted 12/4/2012 9:01:33 AM
This whole topic is misleading. Halo doesn't contain plot holes, it just leaves open ended questions for the sequel and maybe an absence of information that is otherwise contained wtihin the books. A plot hole suggests that something in the story is completely contradictory to something that has already happened. As such the only Halo plot hole that's ever occured really has been in Reach where we hand off the portion of Cortana to Keyes when the Pillar of Autumn should have been in space already at the time.

People have already explained the plot points in question but I think the best answer is from that Arc guy above. Whatever you knew about Halo prior, don't think too much on it. Halo 4 is its own new story, it's supposed to work as an entry point for people as well as move the story, a difficult venture at best, which I think they did fairly well. If you were new to the series, there was nothing mindblowingly weird but maybe it would entice a newcomer enough to check out the fiction. To those that are game devotees, it moves things along but maybe doesn't provide all the details you want.

You shouldn't have to go to the novels for information, you're absolutely right, to those who think this, but some questions do get answered in these Spartan Ops missions, and its also the duty of 343 and Microsoft to try to get you as immersed as possible in their fiction. It's a good business model to have and convince you to read their books they wrote to get the most out of the series.
---
There's really nothing to say.
GT - Pb Farmer
#62BigTlovesBEERPosted 12/4/2012 9:13:53 AM
_Gladiator_ posted...
Read the effin' novels if you want the story, because some of the games (Reach in particular) sh*t on a great story with horrible plot elements added for pure gimmicky purposes. Basically a big middle finger to the authors.

If you rely on the games themselves to explain everything, youre just gonna get the basic bare bones version of the story.

No, Reach was a game with a great story. The novels are garbage you all got suckered into buying thinking any of it mattered.

Like the makers of this game apparently.
#63_Gladiator_Posted 12/4/2012 9:21:00 AM
FlufyW0lf3y posted...
God forbid a game makes someone read to get a better understanding of a story.

This x10
---
Don't be hatin' on Carmine, hundreds of them die every day to keep your ass safe from pale steroid abusers. - Sic_GloryFades
#64BigTlovesBEERPosted 12/4/2012 9:24:49 AM
_Gladiator_ posted...
FlufyW0lf3y posted...

This x10

This divided by 10

It's one thing to let a novel flesh the story out more. It's another when a good chunk of your audience is lost because they didn't want to waste their time reading several bad novels.
#65Nacht004Posted 12/4/2012 9:27:40 AM
BigTlovesBEER posted...
_Gladiator_ posted...
FlufyW0lf3y posted...

This x10

This divided by 10

It's one thing to let a novel flesh the story out more. It's another when a good chunk of your audience is lost because they didn't want to spend their time reading several novels that in my own opinion aren't good, even though I didn't read all of them.

Fixed that for you. Unless you read every novel and hated each one, in which case you may have psychological issues for continously perpetuating a bad habit on yourself. Moreover, its an opinion. Is every novel amazing? No. Is every moment in each novel filled with whimsy and wonderful dialogue? No. But they're decent stories in my own opinion, enjoyable filler, and give interesting views to the world at large we aren't familiar with.
---
There's really nothing to say.
GT - Pb Farmer
#66Nocturnal15Posted 12/4/2012 9:48:31 AM
BigTlovesBEER posted...
No, Reach was a game with a great story.

Confirmed for trolling.
#67WingZero0782Posted 12/4/2012 11:04:49 AM
BigTlovesBEER posted...
_Gladiator_ posted...
Read the effin' novels if you want the story, because some of the games (Reach in particular) sh*t on a great story with horrible plot elements added for pure gimmicky purposes. Basically a big middle finger to the authors.

If you rely on the games themselves to explain everything, youre just gonna get the basic bare bones version of the story.

No, Reach was a game with a great story. The novels are garbage you all got suckered into buying thinking any of it mattered.

Like the makers of this game apparently.

Obvious troll is obvious.
---
Currently Playing: who the **** cares.
DCUO Name: Techno Knight, Level: 30, Server: Crossfire, League: TheGothamKnights.
#68BigTlovesBEERPosted 12/4/2012 11:04:57 AM
I'm not trolling. Reach was fantastic and many people loved it. I thought it was really emotional and moving.

The problem is, a bunch of you guys bought the books and swore that that's the only cannon you'll accept (even though its a videogame series) so you took the the boards in droves and tried to convince the masses, who liked it and gave it great reviews, that it was bad when it wasn't.
#69WingZero0782Posted 12/4/2012 11:06:16 AM
DamorahTalset posted...
WingZero0782 posted...
Reach left plenty of unanswered questions, a few of them are about Master Chiefs whereabouts, etc.

Not everything can be revealed in the game, plus Halo is a franchise like Star Wars and so a lot of the backstory, etc is revealed to you by other means.

If you mean Reach the game, it didn't leave Chief's whereabouts a mystery, you clearly see him jn cryo-sleep near the end of the game. You're obviously someone else who simply didn't pay attention like the TC.

That wasn't him, it was just an Easter egg..
---
DCUO Name: Techno Knight, Level: 30, Server: Crossfire, League: TheGothamKnights.
#70WingZero0782Posted 12/4/2012 11:17:30 AM
BigTlovesBEER posted...
I'm not trolling. Reach was fantastic and many people loved it. I thought it was really emotional and moving.

The problem is, a bunch of you guys bought the books and swore that that's the only cannon you'll accept (even though its a videogame series) so you took the the boards in droves and tried to convince the masses, who liked it and gave it great reviews, that it was bad when it wasn't.

It contradicts the book, oh and you need the book/Halsey's journal to find out what the chief was doing and why there's two Cortana's at the sametime.

Besides the book came first, was approved by Bungie and they **** on the writer by changing the story in the game and contradicting the book.

But what do you care, you don't like Space Marine rubbish and yet you're hanging around here.
---