Assassinations =/= CQC? The heck...

#1Lloyd13ZPosted 12/4/2012 12:54:00 AM
Last match medals: 4 Assassinations, 6 Melee, 2 Beat Downs. You'd think I would have gotten it but nope.

Also, for some reason, this weekly challenge is a bit glitched. Sometimes I actually enter the next match with points carried over. For example, after the 6 of the Melee /Beat Down medals, it popped up with Up Close and Personal - 9/12. I got two more, then ran around trying to get the last one... only I got two Assassinations instead. Never popped up.

Just... why.
---
Treaties not forged in blood or violence are merely fragile fixes in an unending circle or war; a temporary peace soon to be consumed by hate once more. ---Me!
#2metroidman92Posted 12/4/2012 12:54:56 AM
inb4343bashing

Could've been simple oversight.
---
I'll be in my bunk...
One does not simply walk into Skuldafn.
#3Lloyd13Z(Topic Creator)Posted 12/4/2012 12:56:03 AM
They aren't even listed in the medals for the challenge. I thought they might be a beat down override, but I guess not.

I'm not really bashing them, just... hoping logic prevails in future challenges.
---
Treaties not forged in blood or violence are merely fragile fixes in an unending circle or war; a temporary peace soon to be consumed by hate once more. ---Me!
#4PatchTuesdayPosted 12/4/2012 1:18:38 AM
Well, I don't remember if the Boss really touched upon Assassinations in CQC before dropping the Spartans into the Soviet Union. Maybe you forgot some of your training. Call Para-Medic and ask if she knows anything?
---
GT: Stringslayer420
#5Lloyd13Z(Topic Creator)Posted 12/4/2012 1:32:30 AM
lol. But seriously. If I'm shoving a knife into your chest or neck, somehow I don't think we're gunna get any closer. Hell, some assassinations have me diving on top of another Spartan. Any closer quarters than that would be a bit awkward.
---
#6Crystal_DreamPosted 12/4/2012 1:41:42 AM
Assassinations and CQC always had different medals, which is why Assassinations unlock the Venator helmet and CQC unlocks the AEON forearms (which is why I have to "beat down" rather than "assassinate")
---
"I love you, I love you forever, so give me your love
to love me forever." - Hatsune Miku
#7Lloyd13Z(Topic Creator)Posted 12/4/2012 1:59:29 AM(edited)
Crystal_Dream posted...
Assassinations and CQC always had different medals, which is why Assassinations unlock the Venator helmet and CQC unlocks the AEON forearms (which is why I have to "beat down" rather than "assassinate")

True, and I thought of that too. But the difference is that this is a Challenge, not a Commendation. When you assassinate someone AND when you beat down someone, they both give you Medals for commendations, which lead to their respective armor and experience. It's not like you're losing out on anything by doing one and not the other - you still get some form of reward Commendation-wise.

The definition of this Challenge is "Up Close and Personal - Earn 12 CQC Medals in a single match." Just because Assassination has its separate Commendation does NOT make it not-CQC. Hell, you can push the exact same buttons and get a Beat Down instead, almost like it comes down to luck. And back to the point - I am not being rewarded by getting the assassination over the beat down; it's actually making things worse.
---
#8KaitezenbergePosted 12/4/2012 2:21:56 AM
PatchTuesday posted...
Well, I don't remember if the Boss really touched upon Assassinations in CQC before dropping the Spartans into the Soviet Union. Maybe you forgot some of your training. Call Para-Medic and ask if she knows anything?

I love you.
---
PSN: Mikoto-kun. Leader of Emeraude on ACV's US servers.
XBL: Mikoto Saionji. Avid Reach and Halo 2 Vista player.
#9DutchehPosted 12/4/2012 2:41:33 AM
Well an assassination isn't technically combat, its you just supposedly killing another unsuspecting person. For combat to happen, two parties must be engaged in it with "equal odds" of winning. Since assassination cannot be countered by the other person solely, you can't really consider it combat. The only way to get out of an assassination is if someone from their team kills you.

When you melee a guy in the back it doesn't kill him, giving him a chance to defend himself or what have you, but chances are he's gonna turn around and get smacked in the face by you. It all sounds really stupid I know, but its just another way of trying to figure it out.

I completed this challenge with the carry over method you described, I think I had 6 already when the match started but ended up getting 12 melee kills anyway. Oddball was about the easiest to get 9+ beatdowns a game, hope this helps.
---
"Tryhards is a slang word for men with erectile disfunction, which is an actual disease that people don't 'choose' to have." -cayerful1
#10PatchTuesdayPosted 12/4/2012 8:39:53 PM
Kaitezenberge posted...
PatchTuesday posted...

I love you.

Counter-balance the knife... quick slash... retract... counter-balance the knife... quick slash... retract...
---
GT: Stringslayer420