you can't play spartan ops WITHOUT XBL GOLD?!!?

#1Explicitz999Posted 12/4/2012 3:57:06 AM
Why the **** not?!
---
Room/Setup - http://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i292/emubilly/My%20Room%20and%20Setup/
Diablo 3 Profile - http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/emubilly-1395/
#2Lloyd13ZPosted 12/4/2012 4:05:50 AM
Spartan Ops runs off a server. Matchmaking and all the level data is taken directly from a server. That's why Commendations can be acquired there, among other things.

To access this server, you need internet, and to access internet you need Xbox Live Gold.

Face it - Halo's always been a Multiplayer game. halo 4 is no different. If you bought it expecting more single player content overall... That's on you.
---
Treaties not forged in blood or violence are merely fragile fixes in an unending circle or war; a temporary peace soon to be consumed by hate once more. ---Me!
#3zyxomma100Posted 12/4/2012 4:09:22 AM
There was no reason for them to make this feature require an online service.

I mean, I have Gold and all, but it's disconcerting to know that someday, once the servers go down, it will be impossible for me to access single player content that had no business getting locked to a server.
#4jpraelsterPosted 12/4/2012 4:09:33 AM
Explicitz999 posted...
Why the **** not?!

Why didnt you do your research whos really to blame here
#5Explicitz999(Topic Creator)Posted 12/4/2012 4:43:08 AM
Well I bought Halo 4 a couple weeks ago and I knew my Live was going to run out today. Knowing that I thought to myself "I'll just play some Spartan Ops in the mean time" while I wait to renew my XBL Gold service.
---
Room/Setup - http://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i292/emubilly/My%20Room%20and%20Setup/
Diablo 3 Profile - http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/emubilly-1395/
#6RoneZoneFitnessPosted 12/4/2012 6:29:27 AM
Explicitz999 posted...
Well I bought Halo 4 a couple weeks ago and I knew my Live was going to run out today. Knowing that I thought to myself "I'll just play some Spartan Ops in the mean time" while I wait to renew my XBL Gold service.

i hate to be "that guy" but it's 9.99 for a month >__>
#7SPARTAN_D7Posted 12/4/2012 7:23:17 AM
I like 343, I love Halo 4 and the rest of the series. I love the MP in this game. But needing to be online to do something solo. Thats pretty dumb. But it does save us from downloading 100's of MB of episodes every week so what can you do?
---
It's okay if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right.
#8Ultima_WraithPosted 12/4/2012 7:25:10 AM
SPARTAN_D7 posted...
I like 343, I love Halo 4 and the rest of the series. I love the MP in this game. But needing to be online to do something solo. Thats pretty dumb. But it does save us from downloading 100's of MB of episodes every week so what can you do?

To put everything in context, if we did have to download the episodes, they would probably cost MicPoints, or at the very least have people complaining about all the space they are taking up. Where there's a decision, there is a complaint about it.
---
Pokemon Black 2 FC: 5372-8212-5739 | 3DS Friend Code 0430-8284-1167 | Gamertag: UltimaWraith
#9zyxomma100Posted 12/4/2012 9:14:57 AM
Downloading the episodes?

The information is already on disc. There might be small amounts of data regarding object placement and other minor stuff that gets downloaded, but that's giving 343 the huge benefit of the doubt. Spartan Ops Season 1 has been finished for months now, and I highly doubt there's been any work done to it since before the launch discs were pressed. Hell, there are achievements related to specific plot points of some of the episodes!

All the cutscene information and voiceovers, etc, are on disc. All told, the Spartan Ops data is 1.5 GB. You really think that it's all streamed to you in the few seconds it takes to start up the most recently unlocked episode?

Again, there was no reason for them to make the Spartan Ops mode require a server connection.
#10ArcGuardPosted 12/4/2012 9:52:08 AM
zyxomma100 posted...
Downloading the episodes?

The information is already on disc. There might be small amounts of data regarding object placement and other minor stuff that gets downloaded, but that's giving 343 the huge benefit of the doubt. Spartan Ops Season 1 has been finished for months now, and I highly doubt there's been any work done to it since before the launch discs were pressed. Hell, there are achievements related to specific plot points of some of the episodes!

All the cutscene information and voiceovers, etc, are on disc. All told, the Spartan Ops data is 1.5 GB. You really think that it's all streamed to you in the few seconds it takes to start up the most recently unlocked episode?

Again, there was no reason for them to make the Spartan Ops mode require a server connection.

They're providing you with free content every week if you're a subscribing member. This is not an unusual business practice.

Why do you feel this is so outrageous and unreasonable? If you're going to argue it should be completely free what you should be arguing is that XBL should be completely free. After all, you payed for the game, you should get ALL the features of the game for free, should you not? And Paid DLC? Pbbbt. ALL free.