Halo 4 is just a throwaway title to tide us over til Halo 5

#1t2thenobodyPosted 12/4/2012 6:15:27 AM
Anyone else feel this way? By no means is it a bad game, but compared to other titles in the main Halo series it really seems like this one was not built to last.

Whilst Halo's campaigns are not renowned for their longevity, I couldn't help but feel disappointed when I completed it in under 5 hours on the first night on legendary with a friend. As for the multiplayer, I already have 70% of the commendations unlocked in just under a month of release (for comparison, I was near 60% after playing Reach on and off for two years), and it seems likely that a big portion of the player base will be nearing 130 by the turn of the new year. Spartan ops is fun but the re using of maps is already a huge complaint amongst the fan base. The amount of cosmetic changes to your spartan is about the same as Reach's, which is frankly quite lazy on 343's part (in my opinion the quality of the armour is actually worse than Reach's, but that's just what I think).

What will increase this game's lifespan? If the other games are anything to go by, 343 cannot add armor or perks to the game through DLC, which is understandable but also a shame since many other online games have done this (Dark Souls as a recent example). Now the 'wow' factor of a new game has worn off I can't help but feel like Halo 4 is nothing more than a game to please the fans whilst 343 save their big efforts for the sequel on Microsoft's new console.

As it stands, it seems like Halo 4 is the beginning of the series' turn into a Call of Duty-like franchise (especially with the alarming news of the series having a mandatory annual release) with each game being forgotten immediately after the next releases. It seems the days of each Halo game lasting three years with the help of Bungie's dedicated update system are long gone, which is extremely disappointing.
#2kingcodebraPosted 12/4/2012 6:19:02 AM
I feel like I'm beta testing it too.
---
http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/8278/kingcodebrawithtifa2.jpg ~ by masterpug53
#3SunDevil77Posted 12/4/2012 6:19:48 AM
No, it's not.
---
These people are meat virgins. They'll be taken by the grill and delicately and tenderly be shown the ways of flavorful meat love. The first time is beautiful.
#4VoidBeyondPosted 12/4/2012 6:20:38 AM
Mandatory annual release, I've not heard a single thing about Halo becoming yearly release. Also, they could make a Spartan Ops season 2, Halo 2 HD with Halo 4 multiplayer while we wait for Halo 5.
---
You are the child of my makers. Inheritor of all they left behind. You are Forerunner! But this ring... is mine.
#5AbsoluteBKKPosted 12/4/2012 6:24:04 AM
I would gladly take an HD Halo 2 remake with ALL of the old multiplayer maps running on the engine from 4. Mechanics be damned, it would be worth it just to have the maps.
#6EliteGuard99Posted 12/4/2012 6:24:20 AM
I feel the same, I was hoping Spartan Ops would be enjoyable after doing everything in campaign but..............
---
"I like my weapons how I like my music, HEAVY and METAL! - Mordekaiser
#7t2thenobody(Topic Creator)Posted 12/4/2012 6:26:56 AM
VoidBeyond posted...
Mandatory annual release, I've not heard a single thing about Halo becoming yearly release. Also, they could make a Spartan Ops season 2, Halo 2 HD with Halo 4 multiplayer while we wait for Halo 5.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2010/09/microsoft-exec-hints-at-frequent-perhaps-annual-halo-releases/

Plus the fact that there has been a Halo game every year since 2009...
#8SunDevil77Posted 12/4/2012 6:28:40 AM
t2thenobody posted...
VoidBeyond posted...

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2010/09/microsoft-exec-hints-at-frequent-perhaps-annual-halo-releases/

Plus the fact that there has been a Halo game every year since 2009...

They're not all main installments into the series.
---
These people are meat virgins. They'll be taken by the grill and delicately and tenderly be shown the ways of flavorful meat love. The first time is beautiful.
#9CKnightPosted 12/4/2012 6:31:28 AM
Given the changes Halo 4 seems like 343's way of moving players away from Bungies formula. While the basics of the game will always be the same or near it, but I think in Halo 5 they will further the depth of custom load outs and specializations. Moving further away from the running for the best weapon spawn and vehicle.

Expanding perks too. Instead of just weapon drops maybe straight up copy CoD and have pelican bomb drops, Banshee waves.
#10SeikenZPosted 12/4/2012 6:33:18 AM
CKnight posted...
Given the changes Halo 4 seems like 343's way of moving players away from Bungies formula. While the basics of the game will always be the same or near it, but I think in Halo 5 they will further the depth of custom load outs and specializations. Moving further away from the running for the best weapon spawn and vehicle.

Expanding perks too. Instead of just weapon drops maybe straight up copy CoD and have pelican bomb drops, Banshee waves.

Plausible.
---