What makes a good halo map?

#1chamber29Posted 12/4/2012 8:41:45 AM
Many of us are tired of and just disappointed overall by the current maps. It got me seriously into forge for the first time. Not sure how this topic will go, but I would ask you to name favorite aspects of old great maps, things to avoid, etc. I am gonna try to create at least one good map and a custom "Classic Halo" gametype to get my friends and I bye (by?) for the next week.

Also any tips or reasons on this forge sucking would be appreciated...
---
-- I love stats, they tell you everything. If only there was a stat to prove why my stats matter...Not wins, I don't get those
#2chamber29(Topic Creator)Posted 12/4/2012 8:56:53 AM
I'll only bump this a couple times, if no one wants to talk about it, I'll move on and lone wolf it
---
-- I love stats, they tell you everything. If only there was a stat to prove why my stats matter...Not wins, I don't get those
#3Link43130Posted 12/4/2012 8:58:04 AM
lockout and zanzibar
---
Steam/XBL/PSN: Link43130
#4chamber29(Topic Creator)Posted 12/4/2012 9:02:43 AM
Link43130 posted...
lockout and zanzibar

I agree that those are great, but I don't want to just remake a map (if you even could with the current forge). I want to try and make a new great map, asking more "what was it about lockout and zanzibar that made them great?"
---
#5SRR CapdownPosted 12/4/2012 9:04:18 AM
There's 2types I associate.

1. Small, symmetrical, competitive maps.
2. Big, varied, vehicle focused maps for BTB.
---
Fire Bucket
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v413/N_o_R/ron.gif http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v413/N_o_R/BtJ6F.gif
#6AhrimanTheStillPosted 12/4/2012 9:07:20 AM
Balanced maps that still retain personality. Like Lockout and Beaver Creek. Maps like Haven are just lazy as all **** and sure they're balanced but any moron could come up with them. Literally final destination tier in effort to create.
---
The big H . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfxsN423EVs
#7chamber29(Topic Creator)Posted 12/4/2012 9:13:49 AM
SRR Capdown posted...
There's 2types I associate.

1. Small, symmetrical, competitive maps.
2. Big, varied, vehicle focused maps for BTB.

Ya I am starting with a smaller map

AhrimanTheStill posted...
Balanced maps that still retain personality. Like Lockout and Beaver Creek. Maps like Haven are just lazy as all **** and sure they're balanced but any moron could come up with them. Literally final destination tier in effort to create.

Building on what SRR Capdown said, I have started building an asymmetric map. (From above view) The top left corner has the exact same pieces as the bottom right. Once I Built the bottom left Corner, I felt like duplicating it on the other side would be lazy and make the map boring after just a few rounds. The duplicate corners are planned as bases and will give balance, but I'm wanting to add variety...
---
#8the_reaper849Posted 12/4/2012 9:27:28 AM(edited)
its hard to describe a "good" map.

its has to have a certain flow to it. no matter the size it should feel easy to go from one place to another.

(note i said feel easy, rather than be easy) like the other guy said, maps like haven get the move around easy part but dont get the flow or design part.

my favorite map guardian is fairly symmetrical but each side had its own unique trait

in guardian one side had the sniper tower and the other had the man cannons

they older maps felt like arenas/courts where players contested the land.

in this one they feel like knock off playgrounds where we shoot each other aimlessly

EDIT: basically, you should always be able to know what part of the map you are on. i loved that about the previous maps. each part had a trait that set it apart from the rest of the map (the forest area in guardian, the caves in coag. etc) you should be able to call out what zone you died in
---
im a cook, and i play one in my RPG's.
#9chamber29(Topic Creator)Posted 12/4/2012 9:45:21 AM
the_reaper849 posted...
its hard to describe a "good" map.

its has to have a certain flow to it. no matter the size it should feel easy to go from one place to another.

(note i said feel easy, rather than be easy) like the other guy said, maps like haven get the move around easy part but dont get the flow or design part.

my favorite map guardian is fairly symmetrical but each side had its own unique trait

in guardian one side had the sniper tower and the other had the man cannons

they older maps felt like arenas/courts where players contested the land.

in this one they feel like knock off playgrounds where we shoot each other aimlessly

EDIT: basically, you should always be able to know what part of the map you are on. i loved that about the previous maps. each part had a trait that set it apart from the rest of the map (the forest area in guardian, the caves in coag. etc) you should be able to call out what zone you died in

This is all true, and I completely agree. I might have to change up one of the corners and add a new trait to it.

Maybe I could throw in some of the signature areas from the better designed maps. I already have the tower (Tower 3 in forge) from Lockout, and the ramp/giant shield walkway from construct (which I liked, not sure about everyone else).

Anyone want to throw in their favorite locations from previous maps? Even if the map sucked in general, maybe there was that one thing/place you really loved about it.
---
#10_Gladiator_Posted 12/4/2012 9:48:06 AM
Just tossing this out there but, I liked the "base area" in High Ground in H3.
---
Don't be hatin' on Carmine, hundreds of them die every day to keep your ass safe from pale steroid abusers. - Sic_GloryFades