What makes a good halo map?

#11chamber29(Topic Creator)Posted 12/4/2012 9:54:46 AM
_Gladiator_ posted...
Just tossing this out there but, I liked the "base area" in High Ground in H3.

do you mean the entire back base area? so the whole tunnel system and upper half of the map...
---
-- I love stats, they tell you everything. If only there was a stat to prove why my stats matter...Not wins, I don't get those
#12Paper_Mario_4Posted 12/4/2012 10:07:32 AM
Great topic man.

Well, in my opinion of course, the best map is a Big Team Battle map. A map where 16 players (hopefully we'll have 20 player max one day) can have an all out war. If this Big Team Battle map were done perfectly, it will make for some epic CTF and Assault and Big Team Slayer games and all of those gametypes will be enjoyable in their own little unique way.

I look at the Halo 2 Big Team Battle maps as some of the best battlefields one can fight on. Headlong is one I'm particularly fond of. I can't describe it's appeal as accurately as I would like to but I think overall, the map was perfect. If you played the CTF and Assault on that map then you know just how intense it got. People really fought hard and communicated like they wanted it. I remember people would get into it man. People cussing and getting frustrated and some would be plotting strategical moves to plant the bomb and waiting for the perfect time to infiltrate. It was just an overall joy to play on Halo 2's BTB maps because they were so large and had so much stuff and items on the maps yet everything seemed fitting and not overkill. The game is just art.
#13Paper_Mario_4Posted 12/4/2012 10:12:45 AM
I've been a part of three map creations in Halo 4. One I've made by myself and two with a friend and all of them turn out to be fun if you can just let your creativity flow and try your best to keep everything looking good. If you can have fun with it then that usually means the map is going to turn out really fun to play on.
#14chamber29(Topic Creator)Posted 12/4/2012 10:24:05 AM
Paper_Mario_4 posted...
Great topic man.

Well, in my opinion of course, the best map is a Big Team Battle map. A map where 16 players (hopefully we'll have 20 player max one day) can have an all out war. If this Big Team Battle map were done perfectly, it will make for some epic CTF and Assault and Big Team Slayer games and all of those gametypes will be enjoyable in their own little unique way.

I look at the Halo 2 Big Team Battle maps as some of the best battlefields one can fight on. Headlong is one I'm particularly fond of. I can't describe it's appeal as accurately as I would like to but I think overall, the map was perfect. If you played the CTF and Assault on that map then you know just how intense it got. People really fought hard and communicated like they wanted it. I remember people would get into it man. People cussing and getting frustrated and some would be plotting strategical moves to plant the bomb and waiting for the perfect time to infiltrate. It was just an overall joy to play on Halo 2's BTB maps because they were so large and had so much stuff and items on the maps yet everything seemed fitting and not overkill. The game is just art.

I know what you are talking about, love the old big team objective matches. I am starting out small, but maybe after the Dec 10th maps drop and get tired, I'll move on to a bigger challenge. Although, the 10K and piece budgets are making it hard already on a small map.

I am thinking about more than just slayer when designing this map, hoping for some intense objective matches between friends.
---
-- I love stats, they tell you everything. If only there was a stat to prove why my stats matter...Not wins, I don't get those
#15Nocturnal15Posted 12/4/2012 10:53:00 AM
Valhalla and The Pit are examples of great maps. Ghost Town was fun too. Hell, halo 3 was littered with great maps off the bat and with dlc.
#16sew182Posted 12/4/2012 1:42:10 PM
Don't know (and don't really care) about BTB maps.

As for smaller, competitive maps, somebody had a thread on here recently that summed it up pretty well:

Good maps:
-somewhat small
-simple, with no gimmicks
-even terrain
-symmetric (with few notable exceptions, if they are very well done)
-long lines of site to accommodate team BR/DMR battles, with symmetric block-type objects for cover
Case in point: Midship, Lockout, Sanctuary, Wizard/Warlock, Beaver creek, Colossus, Elongation, Haven, Zealot, Kingdom, The Cage, Construct, Guardian, Narrows, The Pit, etc.

Bad maps:
-gimmicks
-huge
-complicated, with tons of little pathways everywhere to run away from battles
-areas accessibly by only 1 route
-no long lines of site for BR/DMR battles
-trees, rocks, ditches, and other uneven types of landscape
Case in point: Backwash, Complex, Solace, Sword base, Chiron TL-34, Boarding action, Epitaph, Snow bound with the shield doors, Adrift (this map is okay, but there are too many tiny hallways for my taste), Abandon (I like the general layout, but too many trees, uneven terrain, etc)

Obviously, there are exceptions. Not every "good" map is going to fit each of those criteria, but most good maps will fit a large number of them.
#17Urdnot_RuntPosted 12/4/2012 1:49:49 PM
walls

and ground. gotta have something to walk on
#18SRR CapdownPosted 12/5/2012 3:11:48 AM
Sew, for a start, the fact that you include Cage as a good map just voids your opinion completely. But then you include Solace as a bad one, and whilst it's nit my favourite and us maybe a tad on the bug side, it fits your description for a good map perfectly.
---
Fire Bucket
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v413/N_o_R/ron.gif http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v413/N_o_R/BtJ6F.gif
#19Gyro822Posted 12/5/2012 3:50:17 AM
- Good jumps.
---
360 GT/PSN: frostysquirrels
Currently Playing: DayZ, Minecraft, Dota 2
#20Asherlee10Posted 12/5/2012 7:58:03 AM
Capdown nailed it for me:

SRR Capdown posted...
1. Small, symmetrical, competitive maps.
2. Big, varied, vehicle focused maps for BTB.

sew182 posted...
Don't know (and don't really care) about BTB maps.

As for smaller, competitive maps, somebody had a thread on here recently that summed it up pretty well:

Good maps:
-somewhat small
-even terrain
-symmetric (with few notable exceptions, if they are very well done)

Bad maps:
-huge
-no long lines of site for BR/DMR battles
-trees, rocks, ditches, and other uneven types of landscape

Sew, to me, you've basically described a box.
---
"Opinions should be a result of a thought, not a substitute for it."