The Didact isn't the ancient evil *spoilers*

#21tristin809Posted 12/7/2012 1:32:18 AM
Waldofoo20XX posted...
Demigod_Elessar posted...
If you watched the terminal videos to Halo 4 you would understand completely how he became an "evil".

It is explained that the Didact (this one which is Bornstellar) used the Composer on a bunch of humans during the Forerunner-Flood War, hoping to turn them into powerful warriors to combat the Flood. Instead, they turned into the twisted Prometheans we see in game. This act was shunned by the Forerunners, even the Librarian, and that is why she ultimately betrayed him and sealed him up in the cryptum.

I get that, but the didact doesn't believe he is doing the wrong thing for the forerunner civilisation. Therefore he believes himself to be good. It is only the others who perceive his acts as heavy handed and against the mantle... I just wouldn't consider him evil after reading the book, just head strong.

Wait, I haven't read anything about this but, is this Didact confirmed to be the Bornstellar one? When was this mentioned? I read Cryptum, but never finished Prinordium (Soooo boriiing) got all the way to the part where Chakas meets those Forerunners without armor.
---
"Shop smart, shop s-mart." -Ash, Army of Darkness
SSF4AE Mains: Guy & Cody Subs: Gouken & Dee Jay
#22Demigod_ElessarPosted 12/7/2012 1:33:14 AM
"Right or wrong are not what separate us and our enemies. It's our different standpoints, our perspectives that separate us. Both sides blame one another. There's no good or bad side; just two sides holding different views."

Free internet cookies to whoever knows where this quote comes from (without looking it up...), as well.
---
IRON MAIDEN IS MY RELIGION!
Gamertag: Demigod Elessar (I was formerly Demigod Tyek on these boards, and as a gamertag)
#23Demigod_ElessarPosted 12/7/2012 1:38:16 AM
tristin809 posted...
Waldofoo20XX posted...
If you watched the terminal videos to Halo 4 you would understand completely how he became an "evil".

It is explained that the Didact (this one which is Bornstellar) used the Composer on a bunch of humans during the Forerunner-Flood War, hoping to turn them into powerful warriors to combat the Flood. Instead, they turned into the twisted Prometheans we see in game. This act was shunned by the Forerunners, even the Librarian, and that is why she ultimately betrayed him and sealed him up in the cryptum.

I get that, but the didact doesn't believe he is doing the wrong thing for the forerunner civilisation. Therefore he believes himself to be good. It is only the others who perceive his acts as heavy handed and against the mantle... I just wouldn't consider him evil after reading the book, just head strong.

Wait, I haven't read anything about this but, is this Didact confirmed to be the Bornstellar one? When was this mentioned? I read Cryptum, but never finished Prinordium (Soooo boriiing) got all the way to the part where Chakas meets those Forerunners without armor.

Well, it's not officially confirmed by 343 themselves, but it is HEAVILY hinted at in several different areas.

1) Bornstellar had 6 fingers, while the Ur-Didact had 5. The Didact in Halo 4 CLEARLY has 6 fingers.

2) Going back on the 6 finger business, and the Halo 4 terminals: In the first couple of videos, which detail the Human-Forerunner War, the Didact that is shown is more "normal" looking and has 5 fingers. Then, in the later half of the terminal videos, which detail parts of the Forerunner-Flood War, the Didact is all of a sudden MUCH more uglier, and has 6 fingers. (Seriously, go watch and see if you don't believe me).

This is because, according to the lore, the Ur-Didact (who was in command during the Human-Forerunner War) is shown in the first few videos. Then, after Cryptum's events, Bornstellar becomes Didact. So he is the Didact during parts of the Forerunner-Flood War. Hence the much uglier appearance (as a result of the mutation) and the 6 fingers.

3) The Ur-Didact is confirmed to be alive, and will be a central character in Silentium. Silentium will arguably take place after the Librarian's betrayal of Bornstellar, since the Ur-Didact and Librarian are the main characters, and the book will lead up to the Ur-Didact firing the Halo arrays.
---
Gamertag: Demigod Elessar (I was formerly Demigod Tyek on these boards, and as a gamertag)
#24Demigod_ElessarPosted 12/7/2012 1:40:18 AM
Or... I could have just reposted this, instead of typing all that back out.

I made this topic shortly after discovering this possible revelation.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/632877-halo-4/64566976
---
#25Waldofoo20XXPosted 12/7/2012 1:41:03 AM
"Right or wrong are not what separate us and our enemies. It's our different standpoints, our perspectives that separate us. Both sides blame one another. There's no good or bad side; just two sides holding different views."

Free internet cookies to whoever knows where this quote comes from (without looking it up...), as well.

That says it far more eloquently than I could hope to say it. There is no such thing as evil! (Apologies to all those religious people out there)

Where is that quote from?
#26Demigod_ElessarPosted 12/7/2012 1:43:05 AM
Waldofoo20XX posted...

Squall Leonhart, from the game Final Fantasy VIII. One of my all time favorites.
---
#27thethirdthoughtPosted 12/7/2012 3:40:47 AM
In all honesty though, we will get our answer in 3 months once Silentium comes out.
#28Wookie_Is_BackPosted 12/7/2012 4:01:15 AM
VoidBeyond posted...
Yes he is. That's why the tag line for Halo 4 was 'An Ancient Evil Awakens" and, as far as I know, no other human hating, force using, 100 thousand year old Alien awoke during the course of the game other than the Didact.

The "course of the game" is still going on in Spartan Ops
#29VoidBeyondPosted 12/7/2012 5:29:46 AM
Waldofoo20XX posted...

Squall Leonhart, from the game Final Fantasy VIII. One of my all time favorites.

I was going to say that but I scrolled through the comments to make sure no one answered it >.> That is also one of my favorite quotes. Along with "I dreamt I was a moron"
---
GT: Dethrow2112
PSN: DuodecimKnight
#30WingZero0782Posted 12/7/2012 6:19:13 AM
Why did the Didact want to compose humanity? The Flood was nowhere to be seen and so he didn't need any more Prometheans.
---
Currently Playing: who the **** cares.
DCUO Name: Techno Knight, Level: 30, Server: Crossfire, League: TheGothamKnights.