I dont get why everyone say halo is a skill game

#31NovaLevossidaPosted 12/8/2012 11:02:31 AM
The-Tactician posted...
SUPER BOUCN-

I mean BUMP.

On the topic of it being a skill game, why do we get to start with a one shot kill weapon that serves not as a primary weapon but as a secondary weapon? I know it's easy to avoid if you already know the guy is there, but it seems very counterproductive to a skill argument. Sometimes you can't see them (unless you're using PV, and even then if they have a certain perk to nullify that), and it seems to be more of a problem in objective games than Slayer.

And in some cases you literally have to fight them on their terms, like if they're camping in your base on Ragnarok in CTF, which means unless you flush them out, they'll take the flag, and despite throwing grenades you're not likely to take them out if they move at all. If you go in with your own boltshot, they still have the element of surprise in there, and realistically it's going to take at least two people to get him out of the base without risking him grabbing your flag if you fail to do it alone.
---
Invading world of the guilty as spirit of vengeance The guilty pay the price.
I hate Square-Activision's FFXIII and its slew of cash-in spin-offs & sequels
#32Velvet_LlamaPosted 12/8/2012 1:37:54 PM
Don't mind me, just an ARMA 2 player stopping by to look down on all of you and your skilless games. CoD, Halo. HA! Children's games.
---
This space reserved for future witty comment.
Maybe it can be yours!!!! (Probably not).
#33The-TacticianPosted 12/8/2012 3:47:24 PM
NovaLevossida posted...
The-Tactician posted...
SUPER BOUCN-

I mean BUMP.

On the topic of it being a skill game, why do we get to start with a one shot kill weapon that serves not as a primary weapon but as a secondary weapon? I know it's easy to avoid if you already know the guy is there, but it seems very counterproductive to a skill argument. Sometimes you can't see them (unless you're using PV, and even then if they have a certain perk to nullify that), and it seems to be more of a problem in objective games than Slayer.

And in some cases you literally have to fight them on their terms, like if they're camping in your base on Ragnarok in CTF, which means unless you flush them out, they'll take the flag, and despite throwing grenades you're not likely to take them out if they move at all. If you go in with your own boltshot, they still have the element of surprise in there, and realistically it's going to take at least two people to get him out of the base without risking him grabbing your flag if you fail to do it alone.

The Boltshot is near useless whenever it isn't charged though, so outshoot it, it needs to be overly useful whenever it's charged.

The Boltshot is not anymore unbalanced than any other promethean gun, lol.
---
Did you know that the internet is used for comfort above all else?
#34Slayers8anFTWPosted 12/9/2012 3:15:41 PM
NovaLevossida posted...
The-Tactician posted...
SUPER BOUCN-

I mean BUMP.

The latter situation requires that the player tap into a new skillset: being able to communicate with your team and call out a threat. If you chose to take on the boltshot player in this situation solo, he has the advantage and you will probably lose. He will then recharge his shields and be there waiting for an unsuspecting ally. Coordinating with your team would allow for you to efficently remove the threat through sheer numbers.

While this skillset is present in CoD as well there is one that is not, and it is the sole reason I believe Halo requires more skill at any given time: The ability to have consistent aim throughout a single encounter. Needing 5 shots to put an opponent down with a BR requires a greater amount of skill than most of CoD's weaponry.

Since this skillset is tacked onto the large number of sets that both games share, I believe it is the reason that Halo has a higher skill ceiling than CoD, meaning Halo does require more skill to consistently play at an above average level.

Feel free to disagree. Lol!
---
IMASIANMANG posted... If I could abstractly have sex with you, I'd think about it.