What if the Master Chief gets promoted???

#11Bluestar72Posted 12/8/2012 6:43:26 PM
I could see the Master Chief being promoted, but only at the end of Halo 6. It would be a good way to write him off if another Halo game/trilogy would come after.

...Or maybe not. Video game characters never really seem to retire. Super Middle Aged Mario will have a GOTY in 2050!
---
How many lasers does it take to open a bank account at McDonalds?
#12pblimp360Posted 12/8/2012 6:45:07 PM
ParanoidObsessive posted...
MetaIGearRex posted...
He can't get promoted, he is the highest enlisted rank.

He technically could, if he was willing to take the officer's test and enroll in officer's training.

Enlisted men have been promoted to officer ranks even in the real world (and it tends to be a lot easier to do during wartime, as people above you in rank get killed off faster).

Considering the extreme nature of his service, the naval command could also theoretically waive other requirements and jump him up even higher in rank as a reward for pretty much saving the entire human race multiple times over.

The thing is, it won't happen. Because they want to keep him on the battlefield so they won't want to promote him, he would never feel comfortable anywhere other than the battlefield so he'll never ask for promotion, and 343 will never do it because then he'd stop being the Master Chief.

Man...You answered the s*** outta that question.

---
#Halo 4
#13DAS420MANPosted 12/8/2012 6:46:07 PM
Echoe_AC posted...
He gets referenced as "Sierra 117" a lot, and he is called by his first name at the end of H3, and several times in H4.

He told Cortana his name is John at the end of the first one, didn't he?
---
"You can't spell the word slaughter without laughter" Not sure of origin.
Gamertag:DAS420MAN
#14MetaIGearRexPosted 12/8/2012 7:07:15 PM
MetaIGearRex posted...
He can't get promoted, he is the highest enlisted rank.

He technically could, if he was willing to take the officer's test and enroll in officer's training.

Enlisted men have been promoted to officer ranks even in the real world (and it tends to be a lot easier to do during wartime, as people above you in rank get killed off faster).

Considering the extreme nature of his service, the naval command could also theoretically waive other requirements and jump him up even higher in rank as a reward for pretty much saving the entire human race multiple times over.

The thing is, it won't happen. Because they want to keep him on the battlefield so they won't want to promote him, he would never feel comfortable anywhere other than the battlefield so he'll never ask for promotion, and 343 will never do it because then he'd stop being the Master Chief.

You forgot to mention Warrant officers. XP
---
My sarcastic tone doesn't translate over the Internet, which makes me sound like an ass. Usually I mean no offense.
#15rush2547Posted 12/8/2012 7:27:39 PM
^^^ Who the hell would want to go to warrant officer after reaching a top enlisted rank?
---
My fate is determined but I have yet to determine it. - St. John de Crevecoeur
#16PoppadopPosted 12/8/2012 7:38:23 PM

OCS? Pfft, just give Chief a battlefield commission like Kurt and Fred got.

What makes you think an officer rank would put Chief behind a desk? Just look at the Noble Team officers. If anything, a higher rank in the field would just give him more authority and autonomy from people that have no idea what they're doing. *cough*DelRio*cough*
---
"Today, science fiction - tomorrow, science fact." ~ Isaac Asimov
"What's the point of living if you don't believe in anything?" ~ Me
#17Wolfsangel90Posted 12/8/2012 8:32:34 PM
Chief is just his own thing now. He has so much respect that it doesn't matter what his actual rank is; hes just Chief.

And I'm 90% sure hes never referred to in the games as John until Halo 3, and even then I don't think anyone calls him that, it just shows up in a credits scene or something (not positive, but I remember it being a big deal that you find out his name at the end.)

What the hell is "Master Chief" anyway? Is it just a fictional rank for the UNSC or Navy or Spartan II program or what? It sounds so cool but I only ever thought of it as his name basically not so much as an actual rank.
---
And this stillness of life did not in the least resemble a peace.
It was the stillness of an implacable force brooding over an inscrutable intention.
#18bongtronic420Posted 12/8/2012 8:40:11 PM
Wolfsangel90 posted...

What the hell is "Master Chief" anyway? Is it just a fictional rank for the UNSC or Navy or Spartan II program or what? It sounds so cool but I only ever thought of it as his name basically not so much as an actual rank.

It's a real rank in the US Navy, Master Chief Petty Officer.
Don't know about other countries' navies.
#19Arok2092Posted 12/8/2012 8:42:05 PM
R_O_DFanboy posted...
Cortana calls him John throughout the entire games series, what are you talking about?

She calls him John once in Halo 3 and then multiple times in Halo 4. That's hardly the entire series.
---
Henshin-a-go-go baby!
#20PoppadopPosted 12/10/2012 8:08:53 PM
Honestly, I'd want Chief to get a promotion just so he's the highest ranking active Spartan again. I mean, Fred and Palmer both outrank him now. That's insane.
---
"Today, science fiction - tomorrow, science fact." ~ Isaac Asimov
"What's the point of living if you don't believe in anything?" ~ Me