So... with there being a hiatus for Spartan Ops...

#1Lawfish66Posted 12/10/2012 12:46:05 AM
Anyone think that they might throw in fred, Linda, and/or Kelly? I mean, they did get offered a position in the SPARTAN-IV program, I'm pretty sure they mustve taken it.
---
"Oh of course, forward it to the top-secret stealth ship. Everyone knows about the top-secret stealth ship."~ shootsmack
#2Knight_Rider_3KPosted 12/10/2012 12:49:11 AM
I doubt you'll see much reference to anything outside the games as the games are the only thing considered canon.
---
You may beat me at a game, but with my smoking hot wife, I win at life.
#3Lawfish66(Topic Creator)Posted 12/10/2012 12:51:30 AM
Knight_Rider_3K posted...
I doubt you'll see much reference to anything outside the games as the games are the only thing considered canon.

0_o? How can you say that when they threw Halsey in here? prior to Halo: Reach, she was in the books. Now look at her: she's got a dominant role in Spartan Ops, so yeah.
---
"Oh of course, forward it to the top-secret stealth ship. Everyone knows about the top-secret stealth ship."~ shootsmack
#4Trinity of DarknessPosted 12/10/2012 12:53:33 AM
Maybe Halo 5, don't think they would show up in Spartan Ops, still wonder how MC is gonna make appearance, at least that's what I heard.
---
"Blame your fate!" - Kratos Aurion
#5Knight_Rider_3KPosted 12/10/2012 12:54:08 AM
Lawfish66 posted...

0_o? How can you say that when they threw Halsey in here? prior to Halo: Reach, she was in the books. Now look at her: she's got a dominant role in Spartan Ops, so yeah.

I didn't say no chance. So yeah...don't get your hopes up.
---
You may beat me at a game, but with my smoking hot wife, I win at life.
#6JolteonPosted 12/10/2012 12:55:24 AM

Kelly makes an appearance in the Forward Unto Dawn mini-series, which I'm fairly certain is considered canon, too. Not to mention that the foundation for Halo 4's plot is described almost entirely in novels.
---
Is this finally a conundrum that CAN'T be solved by helicopter theft?
#7CynicalZealotPosted 12/10/2012 1:05:21 AM
I doubt we're going to see Kelly, Fred, or Linda on the Infinity. Keep in mind, the ENTIRE Spartan-IV project isn't necessarily all on Infinity, and there are plenty of other missions they could be off handling.

People say this a lot, but it's not true, it's never been true, and odds are, it will never be true.

When Bungie was in control, the only novel that was expressly non-canon was The Flood. And 343 is pretty clearly deliberately integrating the novels and games in ways where you are effectively forced to read the novels if you actually want to know what the hell is going on in the game.

---
"This calls for a particularly subtle blend of psychology and extreme violence."
--- Vyvyan, The Young Ones
#8o5pr3yPosted 12/10/2012 2:45:54 AM
CynicalZealot posted...
I doubt we're going to see Kelly, Fred, or Linda on the Infinity. Keep in mind, the ENTIRE Spartan-IV project isn't necessarily all on Infinity, and there are plenty of other missions they could be off handling.

People say this a lot, but it's not true, it's never been true, and odds are, it will never be true.

When Bungie was in control, the only novel that was expressly non-canon was The Flood. And 343 is pretty clearly deliberately integrating the novels and games in ways where you are effectively forced to read the novels if you actually want to know what the hell is going on in the game.

^Pretty much what he said.
When Bungie was developing H2, they mentioned they'd respect teh books are Canon, but they'd retcon anything ridiculous, like Johnson being Immune to flood.

I personally don't like them using the books as source material. It feels like glorified Fanfics to me. But that's just me.
---
GT: Ninja Gunpants
#9CynicalZealotPosted 12/10/2012 4:59:29 AM
o5pr3y posted...
they mentioned they'd respect teh books are Canon, but they'd retcon anything ridiculous, like Johnson being Immune to flood.

But they didn't really retcon that. Or, at least, they only retconned WHY.

Johnson pretty clearly gets infected in Halo 1. Yet he is still alive in Halo 2. Aside from simply shrugging and going "Who cares about story logic, it's just a video game" (which is basically why Bungie put him in Halo 2 in the first place in spite of him clearly being pretty obviously dead), it's kind of necessarily to come up with an explanation WHY he didn't turn into a shambling mass of protomatter.

(and, for that matter, how the hell he managed to get off the Halo in the first place, when the game clearly showed the Chief as the only survivor)

The answers to those questions given in First Strike are still mostly canon. The only thing that was really changed was switching from "Oh, he was near some plasma grenades that blew up which can give people a physiological condition known as Boren's Syndrome, which coincidentally renders them immune to Flood infection" to "Oh, he was part of the Orion Project, which was basically the original pre-Spartan program, which means he had a number of biological alterations done to him that made him immune to the infection, and the whole Boren thing was a lie made up by ONI because Orion is still classified. Not that any of this matters anymore anyway, because he's dead."

The brush-off in Halo where they allude to "Hey, how did you survive?" and Johnson doesn't really answer wasn't because there was no canon answer, it was because it would have required a lengthy explanation that had zero value to the story at hand. They were basically saying "He's here, either go read the novels or just deal with it."

---
"This calls for a particularly subtle blend of psychology and extreme violence."
--- Vyvyan, The Young Ones
#10Sooner201Posted 12/10/2012 10:25:08 PM
isnt Linda in halo 4 because when u see the spartans arming at the bieging i think you hear them say 058 which is Linda
---
XBL GT Sooner201