It's probably old on here, but is Halo really Halo anymore?

#1KSU-WildcatPosted 12/11/2012 12:18:45 AM
First time poster.

I've seen it on here enough, and have had it echoed by friends. I'm not too sure that Halo, as it is, is really Halo anymore.

It's difficult to point to just one thing, but it started with Reach. Just to be frank, I really enjoyed Reach. I was great with a DMR, enjoyed its accuracy, and didn't have problems with as many spammers as many people did. I could go on and on with things I enjoyed, but there were certainly valid criticisms, many of which I'm sure have been mentioned millions of times here. The game changer here was, of course, Armor Abilities. I like Sprint, and enjoyed what it added with many gametypes in the game, but do this day I'm bothered by many of them, some of course more than others.

The biggest bugger for me was how they obviously tip the scales in a fight. As a Halo player since the original, I, as I'm sure the millions of fans did as well, enjoyed the great balance these games always offered. They were easy enough to pick up and play, rarely frustrating, and full of wild moments. But it was clear that the better players almost always prevailed and won, as it should be. What Reach tended to do was tip these scales a bit. A Jet Pack would upset a verticals advantage, or completely change map control. A cloaked sniper could enjoy relative safety on a large map, a skilled one being able to avoid danger for the most part. And, of course, we're all aware of how Armor Lock upset so many frenzied battles.

This (finally) brings me to Halo 4. It has the right pieces in place, I believe, but I feel the balance killing Armor Ability likeness of Reach has only been amplified in four. Ordinance drops bring random power weapons to players in an instant. Cloak returns. And now, different players will have more or less ammo, more of less sprint, a default pistol that can out shotgun a shotgun, some can see you through walls, some can deploy a riot-like shield, some my have a speed boost, hell, some may have a damage boost. Pitched battles in 4 are no longer skilled and strategic maneuver warfare. They're a chaotic mix of what Halo used to be, and a mash up of game altering, game breaking, and balance shattering abilities and perks.

Many on here have echoed that, sure, it's fun to play with buddies now and again. I'm beginning to agree with them, however, that playing solo and the amount of time you want to play are dwindling. Too many times I'll die and just be frustrated. I won't recognize, like in old games, that I was team shot, out maneuvered, or simply out played. Instead, I'll see a kill cam showing he saw me through a wall. He took a lift and then jet packed to the sky. He was glowing red and three shot me. He one shotted me from out of melee-range with a default pistol.

More and more, it seems, I'll die and feel like I'm playing a different game. Halo just doesn't seem quite Halo enough anymore.

Sorry for the long post. I half expect to be flamed or ignored. Just trying to share my thoughts and open a discussion. Thanks.

(For people who'll just say I'm horrible, my gamer tag is N0VA PR0SPEKT (the 0s are zeros). This is the only account I've played with on Reach and 4, somewhat on 3 (had a fifty on an older account, the same one I used in 2).)
#2AlphusUltimusPosted 12/11/2012 12:47:09 AM
well it's been 10 years. you can't expect a game to not evolve or change it up like ever.
---
X360 GT: AlphaUltima
PSN ID: AlphusUltimus
#3VauntXPosted 12/11/2012 6:25:22 AM
It always bugs me when people try to make that point. There's innovation that works and then there's innovation that roflstomps all over the formula that made people love the game in the first place.

For instance, when I first heard that waypoints were being put into the game, I wasn't all that against them. Cool, I thought, now newer players can get on board with the power weapon aspect of the game and everybody benefits. Neat idea. Innovation that works. Then I heard that they were taking out static spawns and I was just absolutely dumbfounded. They removed an aspect of the game that was present in every. single. previous. Halo. game. There innovation didn't even improve on the original idea. It just butchered it.

Too much innovation, and you destroy what you had originally and end up with a confused and tangled mess that satisfies nobody. Right now, we have a system where dead bodies stay on the map longer than dropped weapons. Absolute madness.
#4VoidBeyondPosted 12/11/2012 6:30:19 AM
Yes, it is.
---
GT: Dethrow2112
PSN: DuodecimKnight
#5Lionheart MasterPosted 12/11/2012 6:35:48 AM
no halo is earthbound now
---
--
-
#6ArcGuardPosted 12/11/2012 6:42:43 AM
VauntX posted...
It always bugs me when people try to make that point. There's innovation that works and then there's innovation that roflstomps all over the formula that made people love the game in the first place.

For instance, when I first heard that waypoints were being put into the game, I wasn't all that against them. Cool, I thought, now newer players can get on board with the power weapon aspect of the game and everybody benefits. Neat idea. Innovation that works. Then I heard that they were taking out static spawns and I was just absolutely dumbfounded. They removed an aspect of the game that was present in every. single. previous. Halo. game. There innovation didn't even improve on the original idea. It just butchered it.

Too much innovation, and you destroy what you had originally and end up with a confused and tangled mess that satisfies nobody. Right now, we have a system where dead bodies stay on the map longer than dropped weapons. Absolute madness.

But, the question is, was removing those static spawns better for the game as a whole? I say yes. It was always a BIG hindrance to new/not as good players. Older players knew exactly where weapons spawned. They could time when they'd respawn after they dropped them. they'd control the map with these power weapons and just farm newer players.

With this system, there are STILL spawns on the map. And things DO keep respawning (contrary to popular belief), but some of them are random. So it makes it much less advantageous to camp power weapons, as all that might come might be grenades or a BR.

Basically, just because every other halo did something, doesn't mean it was the best course of action. Things slowly change over time with each iteration. I felt armor abilities added a good aspect to the game. It removed another barrier between new/old (Where older players knew exactly where and what the power-ups were in H3, and the new players wouldn't have one and old players would.

But does this play like a Halo game? I say yes. I know there are many who agree. Does this play strictly like Halo 3? (Thank god,) no. But Halo 3 was not the only halo. This build upon the good aspects of all the old Halos.

If it wasn't supposed to build, and if change wasn't good, we'd still be playing Halo 1. And I wouldn't be playing.
#7SunDevil77Posted 12/11/2012 6:43:16 AM
Yes.

I already didn't like you when you made the username supporting K-State.

KU>>>>>
---
These people are meat virgins. They'll be taken by the grill and delicately and tenderly be shown the ways of flavorful meat love. The first time is beautiful.
#8ChrisSLPosted 12/11/2012 6:43:28 AM
Lionheart Master posted...
no halo is earthbound now

THAT would be quite a crossover.
#9IcefrioPosted 12/11/2012 7:06:01 AM
An Earthbound FPS might be the worst idea I can think of.
---
//
#10lderivedxPosted 12/11/2012 7:09:50 AM
they'd control the map with these power weapons and just farm newer players.

This is solved by a trueskill system and so random spawns is not necessary. Plus, there is less strategy in higher level games because you can't set up for a weapon and who gets a drop comes down to luck.

Why do we have to hold new player's hand and give them things? Maybe I'm getting "old," but if I wanted to do well and wanted power weapons when I started playing, I spent like 5 minutes learning where they spawn.
---
this is a shining example of why people with alternating caps in their names are treated like special children. - Sin
GT: i derive dx