It's probably old on here, but is Halo really Halo anymore?

#11SirenHunterPosted 12/11/2012 6:13:39 AM
I think it's evolved exactly how it should have, as have each of the Halos before. I personally find this game a little dull but I think this is the maps. The game needed to evolve or everything would have got very stale by now.
#12TheSilentMiragePosted 12/11/2012 6:14:28 AM
AlphusUltimus posted...
well it's been 10 years. you can't expect a game to not evolve or change it up like ever.

This. People who aren't as in tune with the series saw it as stagnant before 4.
#13VauntXPosted 12/11/2012 6:15:05 AM
There was a recent game at a Halo tournament where neither team got any kills on Adrift TS. They just hung back at their respective bases and waited for the other team to come to them. Who could blame them: the bases were the strong points and there was no reason to move to the center of the map and lose that advantage.

This is what competitive Halo has become: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz9jRoDWB7I&t=18m29s
#14VauntXPosted 12/11/2012 6:19:45 AM
I think it's evolved exactly how it should have, as have each of the Halos before. I personally find this game a little dull but I think this is the maps. The game needed to evolve or everything would have got very stale by now.

How can people still say things like this when the third post in the thread explains why this line of thinking is so dumb. Innovation and respecting a games tried and tested elements are not mutually exclusive. Right now, we have so few classic Halo elements in the game. It's fair to say that the only things that have stayed the same in the series are the controls and the two weapon system. That's it.
#15SunDevil77Posted 12/11/2012 6:22:09 AM
VauntX posted...
How can people still say things like this

Opinions.
---
These people are meat virgins. They'll be taken by the grill and delicately and tenderly be shown the ways of flavorful meat love. The first time is beautiful.
#16DSquariusPosted 12/11/2012 6:23:20 AM
ArcGuard posted...
VauntX posted...
It always bugs me when people try to make that point. There's innovation that works and then there's innovation that roflstomps all over the formula that made people love the game in the first place.

For instance, when I first heard that waypoints were being put into the game, I wasn't all that against them. Cool, I thought, now newer players can get on board with the power weapon aspect of the game and everybody benefits. Neat idea. Innovation that works. Then I heard that they were taking out static spawns and I was just absolutely dumbfounded. They removed an aspect of the game that was present in every. single. previous. Halo. game. There innovation didn't even improve on the original idea. It just butchered it.

Too much innovation, and you destroy what you had originally and end up with a confused and tangled mess that satisfies nobody. Right now, we have a system where dead bodies stay on the map longer than dropped weapons. Absolute madness.

But, the question is, was removing those static spawns better for the game as a whole? I say yes. It was always a BIG hindrance to new/not as good players. Older players knew exactly where weapons spawned. They could time when they'd respawn after they dropped them. they'd control the map with these power weapons and just farm newer players.

With this system, there are STILL spawns on the map. And things DO keep respawning (contrary to popular belief), but some of them are random. So it makes it much less advantageous to camp power weapons, as all that might come might be grenades or a BR.

Basically, just because every other halo did something, doesn't mean it was the best course of action. Things slowly change over time with each iteration. I felt armor abilities added a good aspect to the game. It removed another barrier between new/old (Where older players knew exactly where and what the power-ups were in H3, and the new players wouldn't have one and old players would.

But does this play like a Halo game? I say yes. I know there are many who agree. Does this play strictly like Halo 3? (Thank god,) no. But Halo 3 was not the only halo. This build upon the good aspects of all the old Halos.

If it wasn't supposed to build, and if change wasn't good, we'd still be playing Halo 1. And I wouldn't be playing.

I personally would prefer the weapon spawn system to revert back to the classic way because it rewards skill and map control. At least in a competitive ranked playlist. I want the best player / team to win and not to have it determined by some random power weapon spawns.

The new system would be perfect for a social playlist though.
---
Get at me
Xbox Live : DSquarius
#17VauntXPosted 12/11/2012 6:29:12 AM
Opinions.

The opinion that it's alright to butcher a game's core elements and leave its loyal fans in the dust is a ****** opinion.
#18SunDevil77Posted 12/11/2012 6:30:36 AM
VauntX posted...
Opinions.

The opinion that it's alright to butcher a game's core elements and leave its loyal fans in the dust is a ****** opinion.

I'm a loyal fan, and I love Halo 4.
---
These people are meat virgins. They'll be taken by the grill and delicately and tenderly be shown the ways of flavorful meat love. The first time is beautiful.
#19ArcGuardPosted 12/11/2012 6:33:28 AM
lderivedx posted...
they'd control the map with these power weapons and just farm newer players.

This is solved by a trueskill system and so random spawns is not necessary. Plus, there is less strategy in higher level games because you can't set up for a weapon and who gets a drop comes down to luck.

Why do we have to hold new player's hand and give them things? Maybe I'm getting "old," but if I wanted to do well and wanted power weapons when I started playing, I spent like 5 minutes learning where they spawn.

Even if you knew where they spawned as a new player, there'd be no way you'd get them.

But a trueskill system is obviously not perfect, and even then, the team with the slight advatage would dominate. Basically, it was a perpetual system. the team who got the power weapons, kept the power weapons. That was it.

That's what every game came down to. It was rare to see a come-from-behind victory. And that was for a reason.

In 4, there are actually situations where the tide of the battle can change, this is good.

In old games, if you started losing, you might as well quit then. If the other team had rockets, shotgun, sword, and sniper, you might as well leave.
#20ArcGuardPosted 12/11/2012 6:37:33 AM
DSquarius posted...
I personally would prefer the weapon spawn system to revert back to the classic way because it rewards skill and map control. At least in a competitive ranked playlist. I want the best player / team to win and not to have it determined by some random power weapon spawns.

The new system would be perfect for a social playlist though.

The old system is a self-perpetuating system. If you get behind, you stay behind. Once you control the map, it's game over.

So yes, the old games did reward Map control, but that's the problem. It rewarded it too much. In this game, terrain is a bonus. It's not the deciding factor. Personal skill and preference can beat out terrain advantage.

Also, the loadout system? Much better. I could absolutely destroy people in previous halos with the Carbine (and needle riffle), but I couldn't spawn with my weapon of choice. They could. So I was at an immediate disadvantage since I was better with a non-starting weapon. Now I can rectify that situation.