It's probably old on here, but is Halo really Halo anymore?

#31VauntXPosted 12/11/2012 7:27:09 AM
That is how math works.

............................................________
....................................,.-'"...................``~.,
.............................,.-"..................................."-.,
.........................,/...............................................":,
.....................,?......................................................,
.................../...........................................................,}
................./......................................................,:`^`..}
.............../...................................................,:"........./
..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
............./__.(....."~-,_..............................,:`........../
.........../(_...."~,_........"~,_....................,:`........_/
..........{.._$;_......"=,_......."-,_.......,.-~-,},.~";/....}
...........((.....*~_......."=-._......";,,./`..../"............../
...,,,___.`~,......"~.,....................`.....}............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-"
............/.`~,......`-...................................../
.............`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....,__
,,_..........}.>-._...................................|..............`=~-,
.....`=~-,__......`,.................................
...................`=~-,,.,...............................
................................`:,,...........................`..............__
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
........................................_..........._,-%.......`
#32ArcGuardPosted 12/11/2012 7:36:23 AM
VauntX posted...
That is how math works.

If you're implying skill is not quantitative, as I was saying (it isn't really possible for skill to be equal, as it's a subjective term), then I'm not getting your point.

Please, explain to me how my proposed situation is false.
#33CKnightPosted 12/11/2012 8:05:33 AM
DSquarius posted...
CKnight posted...
Balancing the game for the average player is more important than MLG and making a game where only the most skilled dominates. The mediocre to average player needs to be thrown a bone or the community will shrink, become alienating to anyone new who doesnt have tons of hours logged into the game already.

The community would be nothing but a handful of elite douche bags.

I love when devs makes games more accessible.

I can compete fine in past Halos but I don't want to have to go full throttle every time I play online.

Was the community only a handful of elite douche bags in previous Halos?

That's what trueskill is for. The mediocre to average should be playing just that.

It ended up being trash talking elite players and racists.

One point Halo had one of the worst communities in gaming.
#34DSquariusPosted 12/11/2012 8:10:31 AM
CKnight posted...
DSquarius posted...
CKnight posted...
Balancing the game for the average player is more important than MLG and making a game where only the most skilled dominates. The mediocre to average player needs to be thrown a bone or the community will shrink, become alienating to anyone new who doesnt have tons of hours logged into the game already.

I can compete fine in past Halos but I don't want to have to go full throttle every time I play online.

That's what trueskill is for. The mediocre to average should be playing just that.

I don't think it was that bad and I've played every Halo game.

I won't deny there's douche bags and racists but so did every other online shooter I've played. Rainbow Six was equally as awful for example. I just think that's the nature of society these days. Everybody feels so secure in their anonymity online.
---
Get at me
Xbox Live : DSquarius
#35creasy_bearPosted 12/11/2012 8:24:46 AM
CKnight posted...
DSquarius posted...
CKnight posted...

And then they all moved to CoD.
---
Other people need to use this ladder.
#36VauntXPosted 12/11/2012 8:31:01 AM
ArcGuard posted...
VauntX posted...
That is how math works.

If you're implying skill is not quantitative, as I was saying (it isn't really possible for skill to be equal, as it's a subjective term), then I'm not getting your point.

The situation where one team get's complete control of a map and proceeds to dominate the map? Sure, it happens, but only very rarely and only when the team's are ludicrously mismatched. The root of the problem is then the trueskill system, not the gameplay design, so I'm not sure where your point is.

I was facepalming because your post contained no mathematics at all. Not even pseudo-mathematics,
#37ArcGuardPosted 12/11/2012 8:41:07 AM
VauntX posted...
ArcGuard posted...
VauntX posted...
That is how math works.

The situation where one team get's complete control of a map and proceeds to dominate the map? Sure, it happens, but only very rarely and only when the team's are ludicrously mismatched. The root of the problem is then the trueskill system, not the gameplay design, so I'm not sure where your point is.

I was facepalming because your post contained no mathematics at all. Not even pseudo-mathematics,

s1+p1=s2+p2. If p1>p2, s1+p1>s2+p2

This is not math? Please explain to me as to why. I'd like to know. If it's my lack of appropriate subscripts, I apologize, I don't believe I can do those on these boards.

As to everything else, I still hold to the believe that static weapon placements promote camping and a rich get richer, poor get poorer situation in gameplay. Which in turn, equals less fun than in a situation where things are varied and more random.
#38DSquariusPosted 12/11/2012 8:51:47 AM
ArcGuard posted...
VauntX posted...
ArcGuard posted...
VauntX posted...
That is how math works.

s1+p1=s2+p2. If p1>p2, s1+p1>s2+p2

This is not math? Please explain to me as to why. I'd like to know. If it's my lack of appropriate subscripts, I apologize, I don't believe I can do those on these boards.

As to everything else, I still hold to the believe that static weapon placements promote camping and a rich get richer, poor get poorer situation in gameplay. Which in turn, equals less fun than in a situation where things are varied and more random.

Ultimately to each their own. You presented your views in a mature manner so I respect your opinion. I just disagree :D
---
Get at me
#39ArcGuardPosted 12/11/2012 8:53:29 AM
DSquarius posted...
Ultimately to each their own. You presented your views in a mature manner so I respect your opinion. I just disagree :D

You insulted Rainbow Six. I don't like you no more.
#40DSquariusPosted 12/11/2012 8:55:54 AM
ArcGuard posted...
DSquarius posted...

You insulted Rainbow Six. I don't like you no more.

haha :D

Hey, I played all of the R6 games extensively. Even Lone Wolf.
---
Get at me