Random question for those that say Halo 2 had the best multiplayer.

#1ZeroSkyPosted 12/12/2012 11:35:59 PM
I'm sure I'm going to get some sort of crap for this, but it's been nagging me for a while now.

For those of you who say that Halo 2 had the best multiplayer, hate the fact that it's gone, and say that Halo multiplayer died with it, I have a question: Why aren't you playing the PC version? It still works just fine, though there aren't many players. It's no more than $20 new, it doesn't require an impressive PC by today's standards, it supports the Xbox 360 controller out of the box, meaning it plays exactly like Halo 2 on the 360, and it actually looks fairly nice (for an eight year old game) when run in widescreen 1080p on an HDTV. Certainly nicer than the original Xbox version. It's also much less of a hassle than dealing with an XBConnect or Xlink Kai sort of thing.

I know back when it launched there were various complaints ranging from it not being very well optimized, to the lack of Windows XP support, to Microsoft's short-lived absurd attempt to get PC gamers to pay for Xbox live. But none of that is really very relevant anymore.

So I would like to know. If you enjoyed and miss the game so much, why haven't more of the Halo 2 fans moved to the PC version? This isn't any sort of "if you hate *insert Halo game here* so much, then go play Halo 2" thing, it's seriously just an honest question out of curiosity. That, and I wouldn't mind seeing a few more players online on the random occasion I decide to fire up Halo 2 for the heck of it.
#2koichiPosted 12/12/2012 11:40:10 PM
Im not one of them but i can still answer quite well.

community is pretty dead unless it changed in the past few months. a pre built pc around 500 can play it easily but i would assume a lot of people still own a pc much older and dont see the need on spending more than a xbox to play 1 game.
---
"It seems to have run its course, gone off course, rolled down a cliff, hit a cow and then exploded."~Sven(About a thread.)
#3Arok2092Posted 12/12/2012 11:40:22 PM
Because most of these people who say its the "best ever" played just a few matches and that's it. It's just that it was killed early. Whenever something dies early it becomes idolized. Just look at the "King of Pop".
---
Henshin-a-go-go baby!
#4dudeasaurusPosted 12/12/2012 11:49:48 PM
I did actually buy Halo 2 for PC when I got this sick computer for Christmas, and I played it a bit, but my internet connection here isn't ideal. (I have random issues with Xbox Live all the time too), and I found it to be slightly different than Halo 2 on Xbox.
Also, another large part of it for me was having a LAN party. For goodness' sake, when Halo 2 released, I had a LAN party at my house, cake and all. Because it wasn't portal, the cake was NOT a lie. :)
All my friends came over and we played for hours.
A bunch of my friends played online as well on Xbox Live.
I realize that hypothetically, all my friends could come over with their systems and we could do an old school system link party, and I've attempted to do just as much, but the plans never materialize. Noone even owns it anymore
Halo 2's multiplayer was not just my favorite Halo multiplayer but my favorite multiplayer of any game I've ever played.

Given all that, I still have Halo 4 on my Christmas list (I rented it and played through the campaign) as I feel the multiplayer is much better than Reach, so I'm not completely closed off to newer Halo installments...It's just that I suppose I love reminiscing on those great glory days of mine, and when the current generation talks about the new games, I wish they (the ones new to the gaming world) had experienced what I experienced with Halo 2 because I thought it was so fantastic, that I'd love for everyone else to have an opportunity to experience that too.
If I like something, I want others to experience it too. My mother calls it my Lemonade theory. (I love lemonade so I want all of you to try lemonade too in case you end up loving it as much as I do because I want you to be happy...I just get disappointed when they end up not liking the lemonade.)
#5dudeasaurusPosted 12/12/2012 11:53:10 PM
Arok2092 posted...
Because most of these people who say its the "best ever" played just a few matches and that's it. It's just that it was killed early. Whenever something dies early it becomes idolized. Just look at the "King of Pop".

I vehemently challenge your statement. I played from the beginning of the series. I played the life out of Halo: Combat Evolved, and did the same with Halo 2. I played A LOT of Halo 2 online. More than any other game, I'm sure. I did not just play "a few matches". As not entirely proud as I am to say this, Halo 2 was my LIFE. I knew the ins and outs of that game better than well...most anything else in my life at the time.
I love Halo 2 the most because I feel it was the best...I didn't put it on a pedestal. It earned its spot there in my mind.
#6weezergabePosted 12/12/2012 11:55:28 PM
It wont run on my Windows 7 PC. Last played it on my laptop about two years ago
#7oODecimateOoPosted 12/12/2012 11:57:41 PM
Preach Dudeasaurus Preach!!! I bet if they turned the halo 2 servers back on it would compete against halo 4's online numbers right now lol
#8AnthonyBrock2Posted 12/12/2012 11:58:56 PM
I don't think it had the best multiplayer ever because of it's gameplay, it's controls, or it graphics. It had the best multiplayer because of the memories it has for me. Before I moved away from my friends we played it for hours on end the summer before I had to leave.

The amount of fun was what did it for me.
---
Gamertag:SonowRaevius,psn:SonowRaevius
Youtube:sonow666.
#9ZeroSky(Topic Creator)Posted 12/13/2012 12:09:21 AM
koichi posted...
Im not one of them but i can still answer quite well.

community is pretty dead unless it changed in the past few months. a pre built pc around 500 can play it easily but i would assume a lot of people still own a pc much older and dont see the need on spending more than a xbox to play 1 game.

I suppose. I just figure that if all these people that miss Halo 2 hopped on the PC version, it'd have an active community. Sort of. Last I checked there were more people playing Halo CE on the PC, although I haven't fired that up in a long time. Really should drop into that again sometime, as that's what got me into online gaming to begin with, but I'm getting sidetracked here.

weezergabe posted...
It wont run on my Windows 7 PC. Last played it on my laptop about two years ago

That's odd, I and a friend of mine have no issues running it in Windows 7.

AnthonyBrock2 posted...
I don't think it had the best multiplayer ever because of it's gameplay, it's controls, or it graphics. It had the best multiplayer because of the memories it has for me. Before I moved away from my friends we played it for hours on end the summer before I had to leave.

I can certainly understand that. That's pretty much what Halo 3 is for me, although it's gameplay is still one of my favorites as well. Probably most of the gaming I have done online with the people I play with currently was in Halo 3. Countless hours of both normal multiplayer and absolutely hilarious stupidity in customs and Forge. Although I still enjoy it for legitimate reasons, no other game holds the same sentimental value for me. So I can see how a lot of that would be the same for people who played Halo 2 extensively in it's prime.
#10rainedownPosted 12/13/2012 12:10:40 AM
AnthonyBrock2 posted...

This. This is why most people saying Halo 2 was the best multiplayer aren't lying, they're just remembering it fondly.

Most experiences that MOST of us had with Halo 2 involved our friends far more than the XBL pit that we played against in Halo 3. I used to play online with friends, on a couch with friends, system-linked with friends...It was fantastic. When someone iced me well, it wasn't anger-inducing, it was was all "nice shot, man! lol".

Now, playing solo in Halo 4, I get pissed...like...ALL the time lol. Someone got me tonight with a Jetpack over a pass, PP my mech, landed on top and hijacked it; and my first reaction was "What a D-bag!" before I realized it was pretty awesome lol. If that had been one of my friends I would have been rolling over laughing.

But yeah, besides that, I'm actually intrigued by Halo 2 on PC, but wonder if it's got issues with Modders and the like. That's the only thing that got me off PC FPS games in the first place.