Random question for those that say Halo 2 had the best multiplayer.

#11Arok2092Posted 12/13/2012 12:11:28 AM
dudeasaurus posted...
Arok2092 posted...
Because most of these people who say its the "best ever" played just a few matches and that's it. It's just that it was killed early. Whenever something dies early it becomes idolized. Just look at the "King of Pop".

I vehemently challenge your statement. I played from the beginning of the series. I played the life out of Halo: Combat Evolved, and did the same with Halo 2. I played A LOT of Halo 2 online. More than any other game, I'm sure. I did not just play "a few matches". As not entirely proud as I am to say this, Halo 2 was my LIFE. I knew the ins and outs of that game better than well...most anything else in my life at the time.
I love Halo 2 the most because I feel it was the best...I didn't put it on a pedestal. It earned its spot there in my mind.

I said most of the people. Not all. I was in your spot too actually. Played it up until it got removed. But that doesn't change that its numbers were constantly dwindling, with an average of less than 2,000 by the time it was taken offline.
---
Henshin-a-go-go baby!
#12jpraelsterPosted 12/13/2012 12:13:26 AM
Arok2092 posted...
Because most of these people who say its the "best ever" played just a few matches and that's it. It's just that it was killed early. Whenever something dies early it becomes idolized. Just look at the "King of Pop".

Gotta agree about the michael jackson thing he was made practically a god when he died as was halo 2 when it was killed it was a good multiplayer but it wasnt as good as everyone says
#13dudeasaurusPosted 12/13/2012 12:13:41 AM
rainedown posted...
AnthonyBrock2 posted...
I don't think it had the best multiplayer ever because of it's gameplay, it's controls, or it graphics. It had the best multiplayer because of the memories it has for me. Before I moved away from my friends we played it for hours on end the summer before I had to leave.

The amount of fun was what did it for me.

This. This is why most people saying Halo 2 was the best multiplayer aren't lying, they're just remembering it fondly.

Most experiences that MOST of us had with Halo 2 involved our friends far more than the XBL pit that we played against in Halo 3. I used to play online with friends, on a couch with friends, system-linked with friends...It was fantastic. When someone iced me well, it wasn't anger-inducing, it was was all "nice shot, man! lol".

Now, playing solo in Halo 4, I get pissed...like...ALL the time lol. Someone got me tonight with a Jetpack over a pass, PP my mech, landed on top and hijacked it; and my first reaction was "What a D-bag!" before I realized it was pretty awesome lol. If that had been one of my friends I would have been rolling over laughing.

But yeah, besides that, I'm actually intrigued by Halo 2 on PC, but wonder if it's got issues with Modders and the like. That's the only thing that got me off PC FPS games in the first place.

You're a better person than me. I raged when I played Halo 2. haha. I went to a birthday party, and played as a team of one against 15 others all against me, and I won.
and you're also better than me for thinking that both jetpacks and mechs in Halo could be cool. I hate them both. but I digress....
#14Wolfsangel90Posted 12/13/2012 12:46:10 AM
I might give Halo 2 on PC a try if my lappy could run it. Def wouldn't play as much as I'm playing 4 (I do love 4) but it'd be cool.

Same as others here, Halo 2 just has so many fond memories. Playing with friends at my house, or just the thrill of gaming online for the first time ever, or the very social community (even if there were still many d-bags back then too). Just aside from the awesome matchmaking games, I have soooo many memories just fooling around in custom games both with friends and friends of friends or randoms. Just literally hanging out glitching, modding, doing whatever. Same as that kid above, Halo 2 was my life for like a year at least.

I legit am friends in real life now, 8 years later, with kids I randomly met in the first game I ever played online, and we still play together regularly and have gone out getting drunk together in Boston. Like, how often does that ever happen? Game was special man.
---
And this stillness of life did not in the least resemble a peace.
It was the stillness of an implacable force brooding over an inscrutable intention.
#15dudeasaurusPosted 12/13/2012 12:50:52 AM
Wolfsangel90 posted...
I might give Halo 2 on PC a try if my lappy could run it. Def wouldn't play as much as I'm playing 4 (I do love 4) but it'd be cool.

Same as others here, Halo 2 just has so many fond memories. Playing with friends at my house, or just the thrill of gaming online for the first time ever, or the very social community (even if there were still many d-bags back then too). Just aside from the awesome matchmaking games, I have soooo many memories just fooling around in custom games both with friends and friends of friends or randoms. Just literally hanging out glitching, modding, doing whatever. Same as that kid above, Halo 2 was my life for like a year at least.

I legit am friends in real life now, 8 years later, with kids I randomly met in the first game I ever played online, and we still play together regularly and have gone out getting drunk together in Boston. Like, how often does that ever happen? Game was special man.

Right on!
That was the other thing. I got Xbox Live FOR Halo 2. It was the first online gaming experience I ever had. The social aspect of live back then was GREAT. Before Microsoft ruined it with party chat. I like party chat, but it seriously takes away from the experience.
I remember getting into a lobby with 15 other people (or less depending on playlist) and EVERYONE had their headset plugged in. Everyone talked. It was great. I feel I was an original Xbox Liver and as such I've grown up with it and seen the changes it's made. Some have been good. Others are lame and pointless.
Halo 2 just brings back so many memories.
#16Wolfsangel90Posted 12/13/2012 12:57:15 AM
dudeasaurus posted...
Wolfsangel90 posted...

Right on!
That was the other thing. I got Xbox Live FOR Halo 2. It was the first online gaming experience I ever had. The social aspect of live back then was GREAT. Before Microsoft ruined it with party chat. I like party chat, but it seriously takes away from the experience.
I remember getting into a lobby with 15 other people (or less depending on playlist) and EVERYONE had their headset plugged in. Everyone talked. It was great. I feel I was an original Xbox Liver and as such I've grown up with it and seen the changes it's made. Some have been good. Others are lame and pointless.
Halo 2 just brings back so many memories.

Yeah dude, I got Live the day i got the game as well and it was just mind-blowing to me. I remember the day my mom randomly bought me an xbox and Halo: CE (even though she didn't like me playing video games and I never had any interest in xbox) as well as my first time setting up my Live account and firing up Halo 2.

And yeah it was so cool just talking to tons of people every game. It just made everything so much more memorable. Plus hearing the other team at a certain proximity was priceless. I do like party chat to conveniently talk to my friends, but yeah it does basically take the social aspect out of the game and hurts the community.
---
And this stillness of life did not in the least resemble a peace.
It was the stillness of an implacable force brooding over an inscrutable intention.
#17ParanoidObsessivePosted 12/16/2012 2:56:52 PM
dudeasaurus posted...
I vehemently challenge your statement. I played from the beginning of the series. I played the life out of Halo: Combat Evolved, and did the same with Halo 2. I played A LOT of Halo 2 online. More than any other game, I'm sure. I did not just play "a few matches". As not entirely proud as I am to say this, Halo 2 was my LIFE. I knew the ins and outs of that game better than well...most anything else in my life at the time.
I love Halo 2 the most because I feel it was the best...I didn't put it on a pedestal. It earned its spot there in my mind.

Arguably, you just described the problem AND supported TC's original premise in some ways.

The reason why Halo 2 was so great in your eyes was because you played it so much. At the time of its release, there were almost no other console-based online FPS alternatives, so there was almost nothing to compare it to, or to distract you from it. You played obsessively, mastering gameplay, mastering maps, and generally becoming emotionally invested in it.

When the later games came out, you were so invested in Halo 2, it actually prevented you from enjoying those games as much as you might otherwise have. Nearly all changes would be perceived as bad to some degree, because they would force you to break the habits you'd developed in Halo 2. No game will ever be as good in your eyes, because your subjective experience will never be the same. Just like no adult will ever truly enjoy Christmas as much as they did when they were an 8-year old and filled with innocent wonder. We remember more than just the game - we're also remember what sort of people we were at the time we played it, what sort of people we played it with, the overall culture and zeitgeist of the time, and so on.

What we're NOT doing is objectively comparing two games, fairly pointing out the old game's flaws and faults as well as the things the new game does well (even if we don't personally like those things). We're essentially comparing an overly critical analysis of the new game against the memory of the old game, and memory is rarely accurate in any objective sense.

I'd argue that the vast majority of love for Halo 2 is pure nostalgia. People cling to the past because it's familiar, not because it's good (the same reason why The Simpsons is still on the air, in spite of the fact that it probably should have been cancelled 20 years ago).

---
"Wall of Text'D!" --- oldskoolplayr76
"POwned again." --- blight family