The DMR will ruin this game if left as is, actually it is doing so as we speak

#1manrightcheaPosted 12/13/2012 9:25:41 AM(edited)
I've been having issues with Halo 4 for a while now, and up to now, I was growing frustrated because I could not nail down why I was losing so many 1v1 encounters. This includes 1v encounters where I would often have a 1 or 2 shot advantage on my mark.

Having played for longer now, I know why this is. You see, I have up to now been using the BR about 50% of the time, with the other 50% spread between the Light Rifle, Carbine and DMR. When I initially picked up the game, I saw very little difference in lethality between the DMR and each of its counterparts. However, having played longer now, one thing has become clear to me.

THE DMR OUTCLASSES EVERY OTHER PRIMARY/STARTING WEAPON IN THIS GAME.

It has a higher overall damage output than the BR, and due to its ROF and the aim-assist functionality of this game, it still outclasses the BR even at close-mid to mid range. Now the first argument many will say towards this is that both the DMR and BR are 5 shots to kill. This is deceptive however, as the BR shoots a 3 round burst, has lateral spread, and has a bit more recoil. If ANY of those 15 pellets needed to kill misses, then then BR is no longer a 5 shot weapon. This would be fine, if not for the fact that the ability to spam the DMR at great speed while making use of its higher damage profile and the games aim-assist make landing 5 shots with the DMR a cakewalk . Little markmanship.

At long range, it dominates each other primary rifle.

The Carbine, it is seriously underpowered. However fast the firing speed may be. To say you like the Carbine and main it is fine, however it is also true that if you main the Carbine, you can expect to lose many a 1 v 1 encounter due to its pathetic damage. Not only this, but you will run out of ammo fairly quickly due to the ROF and fact that is is a rare/nonexistent primary for ammo pickups, even with the Ammo perk.

The Light Rifle. It is slow to the point that the gun becomes the perfect assist primary. You'll basically be weakening your opponents for teammates with better primaries to clean up for free. The Light Rifle lacks the speed/rate of fire to compete with the DMR. This is added to the fact that the DMR has a huge line of sight.

In addition to the DMR's power and range lethality, it is made even easier to use due to the fact that the gun lacks any sort of functional bloom, and thus can compete inside of ranges that belong to either the BR and even the fully automatic starting weapons.

What does all of this mean for Halo 4?
----------------------------------------

1. The DMR will become the weapon of choice, in fact, it has already happened. Now why would this be a bad thing you ask. Well, it defeats the purpose of having such a large variation of loadout weapons, when you will only use 1 of those weapons. I'm sure many have noticed this, as they bore of using this 1 weapon, yet quickly switch back to it after seeing how easily/often they will be beaten in 1 v 1 encounters if they
switch to another primary.

2. The DMRs range and kill speed/easiness are beginning to discourage pushes or map movement and flow. I'm not sure if you guys have noticed it to the extent that I have, but many matches are beginning to denigrate into lethargic, campy battles fought on the very fringes of each of the maps. Team firing has always been a big component in Halo games, which is great. However, players will quickly refuse to push or use large portions of the map, only to be cut down from great distance if he/she dares enter open terrain. This effect has an especially devastating effect on Big Team Slayer.

3. The game will become stagnant. Every person using 1 primary for fear of disadvantage. Nodody being willing to move around the map (at least into open terrain) or make pushes. The population will shrink as interest in this game is lost.

Thoughts?
#2X250Posted 12/13/2012 9:16:51 AM(edited)
It's been the same in Halo 1, 2, 3, and Reach with the Magnum, Br, and DMR respectively. It didn't kill any of those games.
#3Wolfsangel90Posted 12/13/2012 9:17:03 AM
"tl;dr: All guns should be the same."
---
And this stillness of life did not in the least resemble a peace.
It was the stillness of an implacable force brooding over an inscrutable intention.
#4Asherlee10Posted 12/13/2012 9:17:11 AM
http://i.imgur.com/53B0O.gif
---
"Opinions should be a result of a thought, not a substitute for it."
#5MorbiosoPosted 12/13/2012 9:20:49 AM

Thoughts?

Play better.
#6lderivedxPosted 12/13/2012 9:20:50 AM
Lmfao bad players
#7Linctagon7Posted 12/13/2012 9:29:55 AM
I agree. The DMR doesn't have a niche, it just fills them all.

I use the Battle Rifle over the DMR for two reasons. Firstly for nostalgia. Secondly because the DMR is just TOO DAMN EASY. I hate using the overused weapons, yeah go ahead and call me a "elitist" or "snowflake". I don't caren it's the way I am. The DMR is just a nub weapon.

Oh, before anyone calls me bad, I have a few game on my Fileshare where I hit k/ds over 5 going 30-5 consitently with the Battle Rifle. With the DMR I could go like 50-10 easy.
#8manrightchea(Topic Creator)Posted 12/13/2012 9:30:15 AM
Ah yes, the "get better" rebuttal. The hell with balance, surely any person that makes a post outlining negative game balances must be bad at the game.

Fair enough, you mark my words though, and remember when you read this post.
---
GT: FRANK NlTTl
"I am a great wind who will sweep all before me like a........a great wind!"
#9blazinapplePosted 12/13/2012 9:31:38 AM
every time i read one of these posts, it just starts to sound like they want the BR to be the best or they have problems killing people.

i think everything is fine except for that silly boltshot...i forget its a mini shotgun from time to time lolol

i say we just nerf everything so we can shoot nothing but foam nerf darts with the sticky suction tip.

this way there wont be any butt devastation.

p.s. i bet someone would complain there nerf dart shot faster though lolol
---
vote for pedro
#10DSquariusPosted 12/13/2012 9:31:42 AM
X250 posted...
It's been the same in Halo 1, 2, 3, and Reach with the Magnum, Br, and DMR respectively. It didn't kill any of those games.

TC, please respond to this post.
---
Get at me
Xbox Live : DSquarius