The trueskill system doesn't seem to work very well for me?

#1PoopyMcPoopsterPosted 12/30/2012 9:05:38 AM
I just started playing this game last night. I played for a couple of hours and now I'm up to SR15, but I'm playing people who are SR130 (I thought it was supposed to cap out at SR50). I've played every main Halo game for probably 400+ hours (except Reach which I stopped around 50 probably), so I'm pretty good with the mechanics, but I haven't touched a Halo game in over a year.

The first several games I destroyed, but it seems the trueskill system completely flipped and is now putting me against people way above my level. Luckily I've been put on good teams and have won many, but I contribute very little and have gone negative the past 4-5 games (out of a total of like 16 games). I don't know how trueskill is determined, but even if it thinks that I'm at the same level as these people, someone who has put in 200+ hours already will obviously know the maps and best strategies better.

How long will it take for ranking to normalize? This is the same thing that happened to me with Reach and why I stopped playing early...it felt like the ranking system was significantly worse than previous Halo games.
---
GT: Adamantus
#2SierraReiPosted 12/30/2012 9:09:18 AM(edited)
PoopyMcPoopster posted...
(I thought it was supposed to cap out at SR50)

Nope, the cap is 130 - unless you're one of us plebs that didn't play the game before November 20, in which case you're stuck with a cap of 70 until 343 removes their fingers from their collective rectums.

...boy that came out kinda ranty.

Edit for on-topic: I was under the impression that Trueskill wasn't prone to sudden jumps in either direction - although it's been a good while since I read up on the algorithm.
#3PoopyMcPoopster(Topic Creator)Posted 12/30/2012 9:11:52 AM
That's weird about the quick jumps. My first 2-3 games I was playing levels 1-20. Then all of a suddent I started seeing levels 20-60 and a few games later it was level 130. I can't imagine that these people are at my skill level.
---
GT: Adamantus
#4furykiddPosted 12/30/2012 9:24:25 AM
SR rank is not your trueskill rank. Trueskill rank is currently hidden, but is supposed to eventually be visible.
#5SpiduxLimitlessPosted 12/30/2012 9:26:28 AM
I believe you have to get around 50 games in a specific game type (slayer, KOTH, CTF, Oddball etc) before your trueskill actually starts grouping you with people around your skill level.
---
They call me Spoke Wrecker...
Thizz iz what it iz GT-Spidux
#6crazycloysterPosted 12/30/2012 9:49:42 AM
SpiduxLimitless posted...
I believe you have to get around 50 games in a specific game type (slayer, KOTH, CTF, Oddball etc) before your trueskill actually starts grouping you with people around your skill level.

Source?
---
Gamefaqs lurker since 02'
"...Now it is you that have made a bold charge across the neutral zone..."
#7SpiduxLimitlessPosted 12/30/2012 10:19:36 AM
crazycloyster posted...

Source?

I'm on a ****ing cell phone, I'm not sourcing **** for anyone. Go to google and search for Trueskill Ranking Halo 4. There ya go. I hate repsonding to people on gamefaqs with "google it", as message boards are for questions, but for ****s sake this isn't something that needs verification. I'm pretty sure that's how it works, if not oh well. If you are that curious then google it.
---
They call me Spoke Wrecker...
Thizz iz what it iz GT-Spidux
#8NeeTamaPosted 12/30/2012 10:41:16 AM
crazycloyster posted...

Source?

I'm on a ****ing cell phone, I'm not sourcing **** for anyone. Go to google and search for Trueskill Ranking Halo 4. There ya go. I hate repsonding to people on gamefaqs with "google it", as message boards are for questions, but for ****s sake this isn't something that needs verification. I'm pretty sure that's how it works, if not oh well. If you are that curious then google it.

What he's trying to say is, you can look around yourself and find lots of other people saying that. I believe i've heard the same thing though i'm not sure from where.

Until 50+ games, get used to either stomping people or getting stomped.
#9ChariloePosted 12/30/2012 11:12:17 AM
furykidd posted...
SR rank is not your trueskill rank. Trueskill rank is currently hidden, but is supposed to eventually be visible.

Isn't it supposed to be visible after the big January update?
---
Chariloe http://www.youtube.com/user/Chariloe?feature=mhee
C2 FC: 0175-1657-6468 [BPB]Char: 4986-1275-1328
#10LordSanjianPosted 12/30/2012 11:47:16 AM
SR ranks don't mean poop. I'm at 130 and I'm terrible.
---
XBL Gamertag: Kensei USA