Why do people hate Sprint?

#221SpiduxLimitlessPosted 1/5/2013 9:51:44 AM
TheAdoringFan posted...
SpiduxLimitless posted...
You admit you're not an expert. Tell me, do you know the mechanics that go into game balancing? If you're inclined to say yes I'm going to want an example of your knowledge base.

I ask this because like you claim I have been playing Halo since it originated, except I played competitively; meaning I understand the game mechanics much more than the casual fan. My point is, if you don't know what you're talking about and just generalizing... Stop.

Do I know about game balancing in general? Yes, very much so actually. I have played other games competitively before. Do I know specifically about the balancing of game mechanics in Halo games? Mostly. As I said, I am no expert here. But I am very good at this game. If I had more free time to practice and get better, I probably could play this game at a competitive level. I also draw knowledge from my brother, who was a pro Halo 1 and 2 player. I understand that neither of these points means much for the sake of this discussion, but you did ask where I draw my knowledge from.

So you can't give me a single example of how game balancing works or the mechanics that go into it then?

However, that doesn't mean I can't participate in this discussion. I believe you are misunderstanding my position here. As I have previously stated, I do not draw a very strong opinion on this issue. I don't care about sprint at all really. And I never did say you guys were wrong. What I did say though is that I think you guys are clearly exaggerating the affect of sprinting on Halo competitively. If not, then why don't you explain why "adapting" will not work? The way I see it, there are ways around the problems associated with sprint. If that is not the case, then explain why. You guys claim to be experts, but all I see you do is attack people and claim that they are not as enlightened as you. Prove that you know more than we do. Then maybe people will listen to your arguments if you are less aggressive in your presentation.

There is no adapting to something that breaks balance. That is why you get "lol'd". If the mechanic at its core is in contrast to the rest of the mechanics that go into game balancing then it is broken and there is no adapting. Sprinting in Halo is pretty much an "OP" ability that shouldn't be there, especially in competitive play.
---
They call me Spoke Wrecker...
Thizz iz what it iz GT-Spidux
#222NeeTamaPosted 1/5/2013 9:52:04 AM
And you can understand that I give a **** less what you think? Anyone with any real intelligence knows I'm right, and if you're just one of those "PICS NOW OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN" people you're comments are just disregarded as trolling and your opinions just don't matter. But hey, it's not like anyone on this board knows who you are or cares either way, right?

Nope, not elite, just a ****ing ass.

You seem proud of that fact, your mother must be disappointed.
#223ssj3bladePosted 1/5/2013 9:57:43 AM
And you can understand that I give a **** less what you think? Anyone with any real intelligence knows I'm right, and if you're just one of those "PICS NOW OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN" people you're comments are just disregarded as trolling and your opinions just don't matter. But hey, it's not like anyone on this board knows who you are or cares either way, right?

Anyone with real intelligence would see that Sprint is not a bad thing. See, I can make baseless claims too.
---
http://i.imgur.com/CqnIz.png
~ ssj3blade || Gamertag = finalfantastica
#224TheAdoringFanPosted 1/5/2013 10:20:20 AM
So you can't give me a single example of how game balancing works or the mechanics that go into it then?

Sure I could. You didn't ask for specific examples though, so I didn't put them there. Do you want me to actually type a five paragraph essay on balance and mechanics?
Here's one at least:
Weapon balance. The effectiveness of a weapon is determined by factors such as ammo capacity, clip size, rate of fire, reload times, possible bullet magnetism, shots needed to kill, etc. If the weapon uses explosives, splash damage comes to mind. Also, how available is the weapon? Is it a loadout weapon or an ordinance? How available is its ammo? Also, many Halo weapons have "special effects" I guess you could say. Some weapons leave a trail like the sniper rifle, or have a laser like the Spartan Laser. This can allow people to pinpoint your location on the map. Other weapons, like the Lightrifle, function differently when zoomed in. Weapons like the needler have totally unique functions. The needler will cause death if the enemy is stuck with four needles, and the needles have a slight homing capacity. The plasma pistol will drop shields instantly or stop a vehicle from moving when overcharged, which makes it a useful secondary for maps with a lot of vehicles.
Those are examples of just the basic mechanics behind various weapons. Need I continue?

There is no adapting to something that breaks balance. That is why you get "lol'd". If the mechanic at its core is in contrast to the rest of the mechanics that go into game balancing then it is broken and there is no adapting. Sprinting in Halo is pretty much an "OP" ability that shouldn't be there, especially in competitive play.

But the problem is that you are not explaining why sprint is breaking balance. Your argument should be:
Sprint breaks balance because of X. If you try to do Y, it will not work because sprint causes Z.
Something like that. Give me a scenario, and tell me why potential counters will not work. You have not proven that sprint is overpowered, so you have no right to "lol" at the idea of adapting until we have established that fact.
---
Contrary to popular belief, the "M" on Mario's cap actually stands for Mario~FuzzY__
#225SpiduxLimitlessPosted 1/5/2013 10:20:41 AM
ssj3blade posted...

Anyone with real intelligence would see that Sprint is not a bad thing. See, I can make baseless claims too.

</coming from someone who doesn't understand balancing mechanics>
---
#226ssj3bladePosted 1/5/2013 10:33:57 AM
From: SpiduxLimitless | Posted: 1/5/2013 5:20:41 PM | #225
ssj3blade posted...

>implying I don't know about game balancing
>implying you know anything about game balancing
>implying
---
http://i46.tinypic.com/68tye8.jpg
~ ssj3blade || GT = finalfantastica
#227SpiduxLimitlessPosted 1/5/2013 10:34:15 AM
TheAdoringFan posted...

Sure I could. You didn't ask for specific examples though, so I didn't put them there. Do you want me to actually type a five paragraph essay on balance and mechanics?
Here's one at least:
Weapon balance. The effectiveness of a weapon is determined by factors such as ammo capacity, clip size, rate of fire, reload times, possible bullet magnetism, shots needed to kill, etc. If the weapon uses explosives, splash damage comes to mind. Also, how available is the weapon? Is it a loadout weapon or an ordinance? How available is its ammo? Also, many Halo weapons have "special effects" I guess you could say. Some weapons leave a trail like the sniper rifle, or have a laser like the Spartan Laser. This can allow people to pinpoint your location on the map. Other weapons, like the Lightrifle, function differently when zoomed in. Weapons like the needler have totally unique functions. The needler will cause death if the enemy is stuck with four needles, and the needles have a slight homing capacity. The plasma pistol will drop shields instantly or stop a vehicle from moving when overcharged, which makes it a useful secondary for maps with a lot of vehicles.
Those are examples of just the basic mechanics behind various weapons. Need I continue?

But the problem is that you are not explaining why sprint is breaking balance. Your argument should be:
Sprint breaks balance because of X. If you try to do Y, it will not work because sprint causes Z.
Something like that. Give me a scenario, and tell me why potential counters will not work. You have not proven that sprint is overpowered, so you have no right to "lol" at the idea of adapting until we have established that fact.

Sprint breaks damage balancing. 5 shot kills no longer matter if someone with any intelligence just sprints away. To balance the new ability to sprint out of danger the weapons must do more damage however that turns around and breaks weapon balancing (more than already *****ed about).

In other words, adding sprint needed to overhaul the ENTIRE system, a system that hasn't been overhauled but just continually added to. However they did not overhaul the entire system, with good reason, for if they did it would end up playing much more like CoD and not like Halo at all.

Halo did not need sprint, nor should it have ever been added. The most critically acclaimed versions of Halo never had sprint, and the competitive Reach plays with no sprint. Did you ever wonder why that was or did you chalk it up to elitism?

Again, if you don't understand balancing mechanics you will just assume the people that do are just ignorant elitists complaining for no reason. There is a reason why Sprint should not be included, there is a reason the people in the MLG community were upset that you cannot toggle it off.
---
#228SpiduxLimitlessPosted 1/5/2013 10:35:09 AM
ssj3blade posted...
From: SpiduxLimitless | Posted: 1/5/2013 5:20:41 PM | #225
ssj3blade posted...

>implying I don't know about game balancing
>implying you know anything about game balancing
>implying

I've read most of this topic and haven't seen a damn bit of good information come from you. I'm not implying you don't know about game balancing, I'm stating it as undisputed fact.
---
#229ssj3bladePosted 1/5/2013 10:37:53 AM
From: SpiduxLimitless | Posted: 1/5/2013 5:34:15 PM | #227
5 shot kills no longer matter if someone with any intelligence just sprints away

I love that this is the main reason being brought up. If the guy you're fighting is that close to cover he can just sprint away, then he was always going to get away. You're slowed when shot, meaning if you kept your shots on target he's not sprinting away anywhere. It's laughable that people actually try and say that sprinting away is a bad thing, yet how many people have you ever seen that actually manage to sprint away safely?
---
#230ssj3bladePosted 1/5/2013 10:38:49 AM
From: SpiduxLimitless | Posted: 1/5/2013 5:35:09 PM | #228
I've read most of this topic and haven't seen a damn bit of good information come from you.

I've posted maybe 3 times so far LOL but sure man, hope you feel better about yourself.
---