Why do people hate Sprint?

#241morpheus1138Posted 1/5/2013 12:51:05 PM
Halo isn't carving out new niches anymore. It's simply another derivative FPS now. Halo 4 didn't attempt to make any dramatic or even minor leaps forward. The developers did not break new ground. They simply imitated a formula that is already very profitable instead of tweaking their own formula.
---
--------------------------------------------------------------------
And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good - need we anyone to tell us these things?
#242MephystoPosted 1/5/2013 2:03:38 PM(edited)
morpheus1138 posted...
Halo isn't carving out new niches anymore. It's simply another derivative FPS now. Halo 4 didn't attempt to make any dramatic or even minor leaps forward. The developers did not break new ground. They simply imitated a formula that is already very profitable instead of tweaking their own formula.

I play Halo 4 more than i played Reach. I played Reach alot more than i played Halo 3. I didn't play Halo 3 / 2 / CE online much (and i go as far back as playing Halo CE online via tunneling software because it had no online multiplayer otherwise) because i wasn't much for the race-to-the-power-weapon-every-single-match-to-win formula. You sound like you preferred the previous formulas, i prefer the newer one. Opinion is opinion and it's all subjective.

Musical artists get this all the time. Change the sound, some fans inevitably won't like the new sound... but new fans come in to fill the void, and if the sound strikes a closer chord with mainstream than it did before, then ultimately, more fans end up being made than lost. And the formula with Halo 4 feels alot closer to the mainstream now than it did before, as you've pointed out above... so you'll probably find more fans coming in than leaving in the end... and i've never seen having more fans/profit being bad for any game.
#243Blaze0fGloryPosted 1/5/2013 5:30:59 PM
Because they always drop my phone calls.
#244iRGushPosted 1/5/2013 9:44:33 PM
Mephysto posted...
i wasn't much for the race-to-the-power-weapon-every-single-match-to-win formula. You sound like you preferred the previous formulas, i prefer the newer one. Opinion is opinion and it's all subjective.

so what youre trying to say is that you couldn't look at the game clock and count down 3 minutes and think its unfair other people can?
---
Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.
#245briman112Posted 1/6/2013 12:35:29 AM
iRGush posted...
so what youre trying to say is that you couldn't look at the game clock and count down 3 minutes and think its unfair other people can?

Sounds more like he wasn't a fan of having the sniper/shotgun/sword/rocket spawns that teams rush to, and if you're caught without a power weapon you are at a disadvantage. Halo 4's "infinity" playlists with the weapon drops get around the set weapon spawns on most maps (besides sniper on Ragnarok). After the initial spawn, weapon drops are somewhat randomized, and few maps have the initial weapons respawning in the same place.

I personally loathe that any random person can get a binary rifle, and that halfway through a game there will be snipers and rockets everywhere. To try and combat this (which I also loathe), if a weapon is dropped and no one is standing near it, it will spawn disappear in ~10 seconds. "Oh sweet, I killed their sniper, just let me run and grab tha-aaaand it's gone."

In terms of sprinting, it was overwhelmingly the favored armor ability in Halo: Reach, to the point where 343 just gave it to everyone as a default function. MLG in Halo: Reach had sprinting and evading until pretty recently. It was just removed in the transition from MLG v6 to MLG v7. How can it be OP to run away if both sides have that ability? Before sprinting, people would still try to "walk" away from engagements and behind corners. What about Halo 3 with it's bubble shields and regeneration fields?

For spawn killing, it may make holding the enemy spawn slightly harder, but I always find that shooting people instead of trying to run away is by far the easiest way to break a spawn trap.

The only real thing I agree with about the sprint-hate is that there should be an option to turn it off. Seriously, we should be able to turn it off. If 343 says "that's impossible" then we should be able to modify the speed increase sprint gives ( so it could be modified to a 0% increase, making it useless, and pretty much turned off).

How does sprinting "ruin" map design? It certainly changes it, and means you have to account for it, but by no means is that going to "ruin" design. If maps have to be bigger, that's just different, not ruined. And how does it "kill the flow of the game?" Bubble shields and regen fields broke up engagements, and many people hated them in Halo 3 because they weren't in Halo 2. People can run away with sprint (silly), and you can chase if you want (also silly). Guess what, everyone has the option to run. The "flow" has changed with every new game... it's always done that. Halo CE with the M6D pistol that everyone spawned with, to Halo 2 with its powerful magnetic melee, and Halo 3 with with new equipment. Halo: Reach changed a lot (gravity, speed, shields....everything) was pretty different... and I played that one the least because it just wasn't as fun for me, even though many people loved it. Halo 4 has yet again changed. Bungie was not out to make the same game every year, and neither is 343. If you want games that are incredibly.... consistent.... from game to game, look at the CoD series. Sure, there are changes, but everything feels pretty similar from game to game.

Instant spawn is far worse, and thankfully it's not in objective games too. It's silly that someone can kill me and I can respawn to kill them before their shields start recharging (usually followed by a teabag from me). I still see Halo 2 as the golden age of halo, before things changed, and that's exactly why I still play Halo 2 on the PC (although the removal of many glitches was sad, and the button combos are much easier on a pc imo). If you really hate sprint that much... stop playing Halo 4. Halo 3 is $5-$20 depending on where you look. Despite what some people say, I never have a hard time finding a match of slayer, big team, or social skirmish in Halo 3.
---
I'm probably better than you, sowwy :(
#246MephystoPosted 1/6/2013 9:45:55 AM
I think briman112 just totally summed up everything i could have hinted at plus more on top of that...
#247melvin343Posted 1/6/2013 10:32:56 AM
After reading all the ridiculousness post I have ever read since Halo Reach Armorlock meltdown topic I will say this, you guys need to address this issue to 343industries since they are new to the Halo series, they have work there buts to make Halo 4 as fun as possible, and let me ask you guys this, is Sprint really worst then Armorlock back in Halo Reach?
@Asherlee10 I have read your post and also @cowboybbt you guys have won this Topic and to me, I have play Halo since day-one and I find it funny that no one is pointing that every FPS game is now using Sprint.
---
Brad Pitt, There's no silencer on that shotgun. How are you supposed to kill anyone softly without a silencer?
XBOX GT: Player1mj117. PSN: playmaker45.
#248Mewtwo_soulPosted 1/6/2013 10:44:28 AM
Am I the only one who runs Spring /Mobility for for my Carbine class and makes a lot of drastic call outs still and more that these so called players are complaining about?

I'm by no means a casual when it comes to shooters, and I still haven't had that many problems against people running from me and or other wise.

Heck sprint [and add on to that mobility] even makes scouting easier within my Carbine class.

I'll give I don't like the size of most maps but I don't think that's based on one dependent factor.
---
Ignoring sheep. Best solution on CoD boards.
#249Kotor_JuhaniPosted 1/6/2013 1:00:48 PM
People who play Halo never go for a casual walk. The stride length is awful, there are speed mobility issues and everyone who isn't MLG does it....
#250Spade59Posted 1/6/2013 1:06:21 PM
Kpt_Kapowski posted...
hahahshshahshajahhahabs good one!

Oh wait, you're serious.

HAHSHABAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHSHAHSH

umad?