Never Played Halo Before, Yes or No?

#21franktheman1Posted 1/4/2013 2:01:48 PM
Cunningedge posted...
Just dive right in dude. You hit checkpoints and kill bad guys. The story can be followed if you played the past games or not. Campaign, Spartan oos, and multi provide more than enough gaming for your buck.

ops*
---
GT: Penguin Donut
#22EDarienPosted 1/4/2013 2:37:57 PM
dallas2256 posted...
Yep, traded in around 10 old games that came out in like 2008 an they were running a special where any trade in games you received double the amount they normally offer.

Wait, so 10 games at 2x the trade-in value added up to $52? So the trade-in value for each of those games, before the multiplicative "deal" was only $2.60? How is that not a rip-off? Admittedly, they don't -have- to give you anything, but the mark-up on their games (trust me, I used to work at an independent dealer and we paid more to our distributor than the chains do) combined with the video-game market as it is, plus competing with gamefly and online retailers ... Wow. I knew there were reasons I stopped going to Gamestop. Their ridiculous trade-in "values" was definitely one of them, but I hadn't realized it had gotten so bad.

Also, this game is fun. And if you've never played any Halo game, then you can either read up on the story of the other games (should take 20 minutes, tops, to go through all the wikis or play them. But that $30 deal for Hitman is a limited time, I'm sure. So jump on the $30 trade-in to at least get Halo 4, then decide whether or not to buy the rest, they're cheap now, at least online. But if you do get them, I suggest playing in order.

I myself never played Wars, just the demo and it was meh, ODST or Reach. I just played the numbered Halos, but I started back at number one when it came out. The anniversary edition is supposed to be pretty sweet, I heard, though. So enjoy.
---
Lali-ho!
#23GodeskianPosted 1/4/2013 2:41:17 PM
I did the same and started with Halo 4 having never played a Halo game.

Here's the skinny from a fellow new player.

The Campaign is short, too the point, and actually rather good. I've no doubt I'd enjoy it better if I'd played the previous 7 games and actually had a real emotional connection to the characters (especially the relationship between Cortana and Master Chief) but despite that the story does a good job of drawing you in, and really you don't need a great deal of exposition beyond what is given in the game

Spartan Ops: Meh. Sorry, but once you've beaten it there's not much else to do but hunt achievements.

All the creation modes: I've said it in WWE, I'll say it here. I am not a bleeping graphic designer. I want to spend my days playing the game, not trying to use some dumbed down development tool to build maps or gametypes or nonsense like that. However, if that is your bag, have at it.

War Games: Despite not being much of an FPS fan, the game is ridiculously easy to play so that even with minimal practice you can do well online. I have played I think less than 20 games online, and can do adequately if not great in online multiplayer. As with all things, practice will improve your skill. This is probably the mode where there is the most longevity in the game, and what you get out of it will be pretty close to what you put in.
---
I have taken all knowledge to be my province
#24majormPosted 1/7/2013 6:03:33 AM(edited)
Asherlee10 posted...
Do folks not rent games anymore they want to try?

Rent them from where??

Redbox NEVER has a game I want available. Same for Blockbuster online. All the BB stores in my area went out of business.

Gamefly is way too expensive in my opinion unless you play every game that comes out. I don't. I'll go months and months with no interest in any new games.

I WISH there was a good place to rent games from but options these days are few.
---
Five million Cybermen, easy. One Doctor...now you're scared.
#25docholliday504Posted 1/7/2013 5:58:16 AM
You could play 4 and not be totally lost, but halo has as rich a backstory as any game series out there and it heavily factors into 4. Not trying to discourage you. Just encourage you to buy at least the 1st 3 games on eBay and play through them (do it on easy and it'll take you little time at all).

I got into halo in 2008. Bought the 1st two games used and played them and I was really glad i did.
---
Wii Number: 2350 5528 3593 6022
PSN ID: docholliday504 Gamertag: docholliday504 Now Playing...Madden 2013, Dark Souls, Halo 4
#26_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 1/7/2013 6:06:24 AM
I love te Halo franchise. The single player campaign is always enjoyable, but the real appeal for me is the online multiplayer. And this is coming from someone who usually plays his FPS on PC.
---
I5 760 | GTX 560 Ti | 8GB RAM | 1TB 7200 rpm | Corsair VX 550w | CM Gladiator | Samsung S24A350H | Corsair K90 & M90 | Asus Xonar DGX | Sennheiser HD 518
#27DSquariusPosted 1/7/2013 6:13:15 AM
dallas2256 posted...
Yep, traded in around 10 old games that came out in like 2008 an they were running a special where any trade in games you received double the amount they normally offer.

Wait, so 10 games at 2x the trade-in value added up to $52? So the trade-in value for each of those games, before the multiplicative "deal" was only $2.60? How is that not a rip-off? Admittedly, they don't -have- to give you anything, but the mark-up on their games (trust me, I used to work at an independent dealer and we paid more to our distributor than the chains do) combined with the video-game market as it is, plus competing with gamefly and online retailers ... Wow. I knew there were reasons I stopped going to Gamestop. Their ridiculous trade-in "values" was definitely one of them, but I hadn't realized it had gotten so bad.

Also, this game is fun. And if you've never played any Halo game, then you can either read up on the story of the other games (should take 20 minutes, tops, to go through all the wikis or play them. But that $30 deal for Hitman is a limited time, I'm sure. So jump on the $30 trade-in to at least get Halo 4, then decide whether or not to buy the rest, they're cheap now, at least online. But if you do get them, I suggest playing in order.

I myself never played Wars, just the demo and it was meh, ODST or Reach. I just played the numbered Halos, but I started back at number one when it came out. The anniversary edition is supposed to be pretty sweet, I heard, though. So enjoy.

This was the point I was getting at but I forgot about this topic. You didn't get Hitman for $8. It cost you 10 games.

You traded 10 games for one and yet you still had to pay $8. That's awful and it's why I refuse to shop at EB / Gamestop unless there's a ridiculous sale on something or I can't find it anywhere else. It's not even about the money, It's the principle.
---
Karma Lost : 13
Xbox Live : DSquarius
#28infamous888Posted 1/7/2013 7:52:28 AM(edited)
(Pre-Post Edit) This is from probably one of the least biased people who play this Halo.
Well, really the only thing you need to know going into this game is that it's four years after Chief beats the Covenant and the Flood who are irrelevant now, and the people who say this game sucks are just, like I've ranted about before, trying to fit in the easiest way they can, so overall, yeah, give it a try. If I were in your shoes, I'd rent it (If anywhere still does that) or borrow it from a friend first, because you either love Halo or you hate it, and it'd be best to know which before actually buying one.
Overall, 4 isn't bad to start with, but if you're a Campaign buff or purist like you seem to be, or you've got OCD like me, it'd probably be best to start from the beginning. That would probably be best for you, since this has probably the best story in the series. Definitely try it somehow, though.
(P.S. When/If you try it, if the games aren't enough for you, there's loads and loads of extended universe. Start with Evolutions, and definitely watch Red vs. Blue, even though it's a third-party machinima.)
---
My sig WILL NOT change until RvB has an Agent Michigan. Followers: 4.
#29z_UndisplayedPosted 1/12/2013 11:19:57 PM
I've played all 7 FPS halo games, starting with
Halo 2
Halo CE
Halo 3
Halo Reach
Halo ODST
Halo CE Anniversary
Halo 4
Halo Wars didn't look fun.

From first to last is
Halo Combat Evolved