Is 343's initiative to "appeal to the masses" a bad thing?

#1DeathB2UPosted 1/5/2013 1:43:49 PM
I completely understand why pros would be miffed about ordinace drops, instant spawns, sprint, loadouts, etc...

But to the rest of us, is it a bad thing?!

It seems like to the pro/competitive community you're either a pro or you're a noob. I consider myself somewhere inbetween. My K/D is a 1.22, which I consider to be pretty good compared to most. I realize, as I've learned through the butt end of incessant flaming on these boards, that 1.22 may be laughable to an expert, IMO it's pretty good compared to the average gamer.

I've been playing Halo simce the time it launched. That said, I like the changes. It still feels like Halo to me with some fun new additions that makemthe game feel fresh. I'll admit it sometimes gets tiring knowing that in big team matches there's basically 8 "snipers" on the map taking shots with DMRs but I've adapted the way I play and it's not such a big deal.

Personally I've never really liked using the AR so the ability to start with something else makes the game more fun for me. I like the ability to sprint for the sole reason that I can navigate maps faster. I like that when I get killled, i dont have to sit there and wait to respawn and can sprint right back to where the action is. I like ordinance drops because I don't have to guard an area and wait for a weapon respawn. I can stay in the fight and still get a power weapon.

Perhaps this makes my thought process more in line with the average and less with the competitive and I'm okay with that. I realize these changes, in order to oreserve competitive balance, would essentially require a complete overhaul of the game mechanics and I'm glad they didn't do that. The game still feels like Halo to me and perhaps because I'm not amongst the Halo elite, the shift in blance feels subtle to me. So, from my perspective, I gladly accept the changes in light of some balance shift. If I wanted the game to play more like previous games, I'd just play the previous games. I bought Halo 4 because I wanted something new but with a familiar feel.

Now, from 343's standpoint, which is a greater indicator of success: appealing to the same group of core fans or growing the series in a manner that invites more in? If I ran 343, I would be trying to make the game in a manner that brings in the masses, because like anything else, the more people that like your product, the more successful your product is.

I give them a lot of props. Graphically, the game is beautiful. Maybe this is some kind of placebo effect but it feels better firing off a round. The campaign IMO was awesome and it was a lot of fun completing it solo on legendary with some skulls on.

If I had one complaint it would be the watchers. Cool concept but damn those things are annoying. Essentially I'm glad they're there... Just wish they'd engage in battle when fired upon rather than flying off behind a structure. Also I'd like the promethians if they didn't teleport behind somehting to recharge their shields so often. But that didn't ruin the game for me or anything.

Curious as to what happened to covenant Scarabs though?

Anyways just my two cents
---
If there were no god, man would have the need to create one.
GT: DontTaaazeMeBro
#2SunDevil77Posted 1/5/2013 1:50:39 PM
Way TL
DR
---
These people are meat virgins. They'll be taken by the grill and delicately and tenderly be shown the ways of flavorful meat love. The first time is beautiful.
#3lderivedxPosted 1/5/2013 1:51:07 PM
There's a difference between appealing to the masses and appealing solely to the masses. 343i has chosen the latter.
---
wait so you called final charming? i think your flirting. tc is also a pedo. aware child agencies immediately - Shrub
GT: i derive dx
#4NovaLevossidaPosted 1/5/2013 1:52:00 PM
Yeah, it's a bad thing. When you have a product that is unique but then make it play just like the industry's most popular FPS, why bother playing this one instead? If I wanted to play CoD, I'd go play it. I wonder how much more similar Halo 5 will play to CoD.
---
Invading world of the guilty as spirit of vengeance. The guilty pay the price.
"I cast Dia, then I strike." - A Final Fantasy XI Warrior / White Mage
#5nazacuckooPosted 1/5/2013 1:55:10 PM(edited)
I think people are just overreacting.
When a game borrows some elements from a more mainstream or popular game,
everyone rants about it being "dumbed down".
But these people don't seem to realise that these additions might have been needed.
For example, being able to crouch without holding down a button is a very good
thing. In previous Halo games crouching was so annoying and clunky that it was only really
used for T-bagging, but now that you don't have to permenantly hold down the stick,
you can use crouching more effectively, and it is actually useful now.

But of course, everyone complained about that because you could do that in CoD.

In previous Halo games, the maps (especially the big ones) where sometimes a pain
to move around on, due to your character moving so slowly.
Now, Sprint has fixed this.

But of course, again, everyone complained about that because you could do that in CoD.

Instant respawning, I can see why some would dislike this, but its only a minor issue,
and besides, you always have to keep your guard up because coming into contact with enemies is much more common now.

As I said, everyone is just overreacting, and soem of these apparently "dumbed down"
features where needed.
At its core, Halo 4 still feels like a Halo game. If you think Halo 4 plays like CoD just because of a few features, you really need to play more than 5 minutes of each.
---
If there is one thing I have learned from years of watching cartoons as a kid, its that you don't F*** with Shamans >:D
#6DeathB2U(Topic Creator)Posted 1/5/2013 1:56:57 PM
lderivedx posted...
There's a difference between appealing to the masses and appealing solely to the masses. 343i has chosen the latter.

just my opinion but I don't necessarily agree that they appealed solely to the masses. Afterall, most everyone that's complaining about this stuff is still playing the game so there must be some appeal there, i'd presume. No?
---
#7JackhammerM60Posted 1/5/2013 1:57:31 PM
lderivedx posted...

---
Visit Arashiboards.net for a friendly and knowledgeable Storm Community!
Official Owlman of the I:GAU and MK9 boards.
#8DeathB2U(Topic Creator)Posted 1/5/2013 2:00:50 PM
Nazacuckoo i couldn't agree more. While some features may have been borrowed from cod, this till entirely feels like halo to me. There's a reason i'm playing this and not cod.

And to be fair, i like both games so if there were some shared features it wouldn't bother me so long as either game didn't lose its identity. I don't at all feel that halo has
---
#9lderivedxPosted 1/5/2013 2:05:28 PM
Afterall, most everyone that's complaining about this stuff is still playing the game

Yeah because the people who aren't playing any more have stopped caring and lost hope.

I don't necessarily agree that they appealed solely to the masses

Forge is worse, no options to turn off instant respawns or sprint, random weapon drops and armor abilities/mods in almost all gametypes. If you want to play MM, 343i forces you to play the way they want you to play: with all these gimmicks they added.
---
If you still have any problems with my post I highly recommend you get over it. - Navex
GT: i derive dx
#10JackhammerM60Posted 1/5/2013 2:07:28 PM
nazacuckoo posted...
I think people are just overreacting.
When a game borrows some elements from a more mainstream or popular game,
everyone rants about it being "dumbed down".
But these people don't seem to realise that these additions might have been needed.
For example, being able to crouch without holding down a button is a very good
thing. In previous Halo games crouching was so annoying and clunky that it was only really
used for T-bagging, but now that you don't have to permenantly hold down the stick,
you can use crouching more effectively, and it is actually useful now.

But of course, everyone complained about that because you could do that in CoD.

In previous Halo games, the maps (especially the big ones) where sometimes a pain
to move around on, due to your character moving so slowly.
Now, Sprint has fixed this.

But of course, again, everyone complained about that because you could do that in CoD.

Instant respawning, I can see why some would dislike this, but its only a minor issue,
and besides, you always have to keep your guard up because coming into contact with enemies is much more common now.

As I said, everyone is just overreacting, and soem of these apparently "dumbed down"
features where needed.
At its core, Halo 4 still feels like a Halo game. If you think Halo 4 plays like CoD just because of a few features, you really need to play more than 5 minutes of each.

Until recently I would've agreed. However sprint, along with instant respawns have caused quite a few problems. I'm not too sure what these problems are since I'm still becoming familiar with the Halo 4 Meta, but I've been led to believe that they are pretty big problems that have more or less ruined Halo from a competitive view.
---
Visit Arashiboards.net for a friendly and knowledgeable Storm Community!
Official Owlman of the I:GAU and MK9 boards.