Do people age 40+ play Halo 4?

#11CunningedgePosted 1/8/2013 6:29:15 PM
LoneWolf4545 posted...
Even though I don't doubt that the average gamer is 30( seeing as its a fact), I can't help but think the average age of the online gamer is lower than that. I'm sure there are a bunch of older people that play online shooters but I gotta think that the majority are in there mid to early 20's.

It's not that far fetched. I started gaming late into Atari. I'm sadly closing in on 30 years old. All the kids that started with the first Nintendo are in that ballpark.

I do agree mostly the youth seem to use headsets. I much prefer using a headset with people I know, so unless I have friends online I'm mute. Only because I find most randoms to be terribly annoying.

The nice thing about all of us older guys gaming is being able to game with our kids. I could barely get my dad to figure out the 2 button Nintendo controller lol. I already have my 4 year old son handling the 360 controller fairly competently in Halo.
---
XBL: Crimson Mask
#12superg11Posted 1/14/2013 4:33:09 AM
Slick32373 posted...
Well I wonder if the age 40+ crowd that plays Halo have jobs, families etc and are not unemployed losers living in their mother's basement. I'm not saying they are...I'm just saying I wonder IF most of them are...

I'm 40 next month, fully employed and have a big family (4 boys). I've grown up with video games and although I only get a few hours a week to play, it's something I'll always do.
Most of my friends that play are 30+
#13BryanPS360Posted 1/14/2013 4:51:00 AM
My dad (52) has been playing Halo 4 consistently since he got his 360. I don't know if he actually plays War Games/Spartan Ops though.
---
XBGT:ABN THUG 210 PSN: ABNTHUG210
#14esprailePosted 1/14/2013 4:56:01 AM
enterthemadrox posted...
LoneWolf4545 posted...
Even though I don't doubt that the average gamer is 30( seeing as its a fact), I can't help but think the average age of the online gamer is lower than that. I'm sure there are a bunch of older people that play online shooters but I gotta think that the majority are in there mid to early 20's.

I'd say it's 50/50, just that the majority of online gamers who use mics and headsets seem to be between the ages of 13-24.

And the majority of online gamers who use mics and headsets seem to have a mental age between 9 - 13. With extra profanity.
---
Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.
#15PrintersChampPosted 1/14/2013 5:41:19 AM
RoneZoneFitness posted...
iRGush posted...
the average age of a gamer is in the 30's iirc

average?? wow. That seems so strange to me...I can't imagine gaming casually 8 years from now but then again........well no, yes i can, nevermind. :p

I'm 33 and there are a lot of us. We grew up playing Atari. I think most 30+ just aren't vocal on forums. We have jobs and marriages and kids now. But we still play.
---
xbl= PrintersChamp
#16SunDevil77Posted 1/14/2013 6:29:15 AM
iRGush posted...
the average age of a gamer is in the 30's iirc

Yup, 37 was the latest estimate.
---
Bro, when you tack on mass, you sacrifice flexibility. That's just a straight up fact
#17majormPosted 1/14/2013 7:08:33 AM(edited)
People over 50 play them!!!

Age is just a number. As you kids will discover when you get older and still want to play. It's stupid to assume that somebody older that plays must be a no life loser.

I'm 53, have a good job, a great marriage and 2 awesome kids. I get on mostly in the evening if I play during the week and early morning on the weekends. It's just one of my hobbies. I play with my 15 year-old son all the time. He started playing with me when he was 7. He's ridiculous now. Especially at Halo. And he plans on becoming a pastor so I don't want to hear about video games turning kids bad.

I play online a lot with a friend who is 45. We're both decent. My k/d in Halo 4 is around 1.2. I know nothing to brag about but I don't kill any team I'm on. It's about the same in Black Ops.

I never played games in my 20s. Of course if we'd have had the Xbox and PS back then I might have. I just got into them in the last 10 years since the Xbox came out. I'll play 'till I'm dead now.

Funny thing is, since I got into games more recently, I do NOT like the old school games like Mario. I have no nostalgic love for the N64 or anything like that. I'd much rather play Halo, Gears or Uncharted than some side scrolling junk.
---
Five million Cybermen, easy. One Doctor...now you're scared.
#18JediLinkPosted 1/14/2013 7:20:24 AM
I did a poll on this and it got modded for off topic posting

Around 35% were between 25-29, and 35% 30-40
---
xbox 360 gametag: JediLink
"only the dead have seen the end of war"-Plato
#19dubfirePosted 1/14/2013 7:40:26 AM
I'll be 37 in February and I don't see my gaming slowing down anytime soon.
---
BF3 - Dubfire33
Xbox - KyllSwych76
#20Cpt_of_IndustryPosted 1/14/2013 7:43:14 AM
I'm 26 and I feel pretty young on this board, so I'd say yeah definitely.
---
The Jersey Guy