Something I've wondered ever since Halo: Combat Evolved (SPOILERS!)

#1ItsYerBoyPosted 1/8/2013 10:16:57 PM
Why did the forerunners want to end all life in the galaxy in order to starve the flood? Even if it is the last resort, it still makes no sense to me. What is the point of exterminating the flood, if every single living thing that is going to be liberated from the flood dies as well?
---
http://www.reverbnation.com/Rasty
http://www.twitter.com/RastySaysHi
#2ODommPosted 1/8/2013 10:58:41 PM
It wasn't to starve the Flood, the Halo array would directly affect the Flood along with all other life.
But who knows, they'd think of something. The universe is infinite, somewhere life would begin again.
---
Looking for ODST players---PM me
~~Keep Calm and Chive On~~
#3BlueRunway05Posted 1/8/2013 11:15:00 PM
They had a plan to restart everything without the Flood. This was their purpose.
---
Water-It's good for you!-- Hard games are fun... Yes, you, Dark Souls.
#4AlphusUltimusPosted 1/8/2013 11:22:17 PM
it's like a virus in your computer. you back up anything you can (humans) and format the whole hard drive (halo).
---
X360 GT: AlphaUltima
PSN ID: AlphusUltimus
#5XioJenesisPosted 1/8/2013 11:37:56 PM
It's very simple.

If nothing was done, the Flood would go throughout the universe, killing everything, thus rendering it a Flood universe.

Halos activated, kill all food for Flood, they starve and die. Evolution does its thing, life returns, flood is gone.
---
Your God is as real as the Tooth Fairy. Deal with it.
#6forthnbackPosted 1/8/2013 11:46:42 PM
The plan was to wipe out all life that possessed sentient thought. The Halo pulse ignores most plants, mold, and things like that, and targets brain function. The Halo pulse would kill all the Flood, and render the galaxy incapable of sustaining the Flood if they were to arrive once more from outside the galaxy.

The plan was that the Forerunner fleets and lines of supply could be rebuilt while the Forerunner took use of the breathing room and, once the Flood was confirmed being destroyed and not lurking just beyond the galaxies edge, the life that was extinguished would be reseeded from all the genetic archives they had taken prior to.

Instead, the Flood came too close to winning so they fired it early. Everything died, including the Forerunner. Their automation kept all their stuff in repair, and reseeded all the life samples they harvested from all across the galaxy. Basically restarting everything with little loss of species.

But the Forerunner were never there to ensure the Flood were eliminated and continue guarding the galaxy. So all the species slowly evolved without the Forerunner watching over them, and what little if any info those species remembered became greatly distorted.....aka, the entire Covenant religion.
---
lizard_cops5771 - carbine should be called the space chugger
Urdnot_Runt - wat
#7BigCatFivePosted 1/9/2013 3:54:09 AM
Did you even play the campaigns? Or just MP?

It is a last resort. Not the opening salvo. They admitted defeat, and had to stop them since they could not win.

And, TC is right. It kills the food. Not the Flood. Along with killing all life, they also did their best to preserve it. Hence Earth.
#8CorndogburglarPosted 1/9/2013 4:59:11 AM
ItsYerBoy posted...
Why did the forerunners want to end all life in the galaxy in order to starve the flood? Even if it is the last resort, it still makes no sense to me. What is the point of exterminating the flood, if every single living thing that is going to be liberated from the flood dies as well?

Like others have already said, the Forerunners had taken genetic material from all the races in the galaxy. The plan was to use the Halo arrays to wipe out all life in the galaxy to starve the Flood, like you said. But after that, they took all the genetic material of all the other races, and reseeded all their homeworlds and restarted life in the galaxy.

The Forerunners did not really have much choice. They could not defeat the Flood, and if they did not use the Halo arrays to do what they did, then right now, the entire galaxy would be overrun with Flood, no other beings would be alive, and every race would be extinct. So its hard to say that what the Forerunners did doesn't make sense. They basically saved the galaxy, and every living race in it.
---
Everyone said it a was a miracle when Jesus hit that grand slam in the bottom of the 9th. I just thought it was a lucky shot.
#9ItsYerBoy(Topic Creator)Posted 1/9/2013 8:38:43 PM
Thanks guys. I never knew they had obtained the "seeds" to repopulate the earth/galaxy/whatever. I don't believe that part was specified in any of the games, but that makes the plot more understandable. Where is the source for this part of the story, btw?
---
http://www.reverbnation.com/Rasty
http://www.twitter.com/RastySaysHi
#10RAGEface14Posted 1/9/2013 8:43:02 PM
ItsYerBoy posted...

The flood would have eventually spread out across the universe and destroyed ALL sentient life. The Forerunners decided to stop it at the source.
---
GT: RAGEface14