What type of "highest" game difficulty do you prefer? (Explanation ahead)

#1majormPosted 1/10/2013 5:05:51 AM(edited)
For those that played the first Halo, remember the difference between Normal, Heroic and Legendary was the number and difficulty of the enemies. Legendary = SO MANY ELITES!! You basically took the same damage on all difficulties.

Then came Halo 2 and everything changed. Suddenly the number of enemies and their toughness were basically the same from one difficulty to the next. But YOU became weaker and took less damage as the difficulty went up.

Now it seems nearly every game has followed that pattern. Most of us have played a COD game on Veteran and know how ridiculous that can be because you just can't get hit at all. I think the toughest game I've ever played was the first R6 Vegas on "Realistic." So many instant deaths.

But I guess the idea was to make it seem more realistic. I mean in real life, you get shot a couple of times, you die. But personally, I'd much rather go back to the Halo style where the enemies get tougher and there are more of them as the difficulty goes up. That didn't seem nearly as frustrating as trying to play as this super-soldier that's basically wearing armor made of tissue paper.

What's your preference and what's the toughest game you've played?
---
Five million Cybermen, easy. One Doctor...now you're scared.
#2CorndogburglarPosted 1/10/2013 6:03:35 AM
majorm posted...
For those that played the first Halo, remember the difference between Normal, Heroic and Legendary was the number and difficulty of the enemies. Legendary = SO MANY ELITES!! You basically took the same damage on all difficulties.

Then came Halo 2 and everything changed. Suddenly the number of enemies and their toughness were basically the same from one difficulty to the next. But YOU became weaker and took less damage as the difficulty went up.

Now it seems nearly every game has followed that pattern. Most of us have played a COD game on Veteran and know how ridiculous that can be because you just can't get hit at all. I think the toughest game I've ever played was the first R6 Vegas on "Realistic." So many instant deaths.

But I guess the idea was to make it seem more realistic. I mean in real life, you get shot a couple of times, you die. But personally, I'd much rather go back to the Halo style where the enemies get tougher and there are more of them as the difficulty goes up. That didn't seem nearly as frustrating as trying to play as this super-soldier that's basically wearing armor made of tissue paper.

What's your preference and what's the toughest game you've played?

I actually prefer that it makes you weaker as well as adding more difficult enemies that are harder to kill.

It really makes you more aware of your surroundings, because it only takes a few shots to kill you. Also, if it still took as much damage to kill you, then it really wouldn't be as challenging because at the end of the day, the enemies are still able to be beaten the same way as on Normal, they just take more shots. But if you could still take the same amount of damage as in Normal, then you could still essentially just run out and fire at everything. Dying quicker make you really try to keep your distance and stay in cover, which, in the end, also helps you be a better player in Multiplayer Matchmaking.

As for the toughest game I've played? Its hard to say. There are games that are all around hard, but then there are games that just have a REALLY hard part in it. Like Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Not a very difficult game overall, but there is a boss fight where you have to fight a cyborg mercenary in this museum, and he has all the same powers as you, including this Plasma RIfle that kills you in one shot. He turns invisible and stalks you around the arena, throws flash bangs as distractions, and is just all around very tough to beat.

But then there are games like Ninja Gaiden that are just tough all around, but that boss from Deus Ex is harder than anything Ninja Gaiden has thrown at you. Good question, but very hard to answer!
---
Everyone said it a was a miracle when Jesus hit that grand slam in the bottom of the 9th. I just thought it was a lucky shot.
#3ssj3bladePosted 1/10/2013 6:14:49 AM
I would prefer myself staying weak, but I don't like doing low damage to enemies. That's why I loved Gruntpoc from Reach, if you got mobbed you'd die but you can still skillshot everything with one headshot.
---
http://i.imgur.com/CqnIz.png
~ ssj3blade || Gamertag = finalfantastica
#4majorm(Topic Creator)Posted 1/10/2013 7:32:33 AM
BUMP
---
#5Oblivion_HeroPosted 1/10/2013 8:56:01 AM
Good question.

I'll have to say "you get comparatively" weaker, since that's just what I'm used to now and it makes for good practice for multiplayer.
---
You can't call him out for being wrong when he never intended to be right - Stephen Colbert
"Bad Mojo" is not a diagnosis - Dr. Foreman, House, M.D.
#6docholliday504Posted 1/10/2013 9:37:45 AM
I want both. Player is Weaker and Tougher enemies. At the highest difficulty level you should die after a few shots and be bombarded by Elites and Knights.

That said, I found Halo 4 Legendary to be sufficiently challenging and rewarding without being unfair or frustrating. Harder than the last 3 Veteran Campains in COD (MW 2-3 and Blops--Haven't played Blops 2 yet)
---
Wii Number: 2350 5528 3593 6022
PSN ID: docholliday504 Gamertag: docholliday504 Now Playing...Madden 2013, Dark Souls, Halo 4
#7majorm(Topic Creator)Posted 1/10/2013 4:34:08 PM
I would agree about Halo 4. Legendary was tough without ever feeling cheap.

I remember when I first took on Legendary on Halo 2, I thought it was ridiculous and I would never beat it.

COD games can just get stupid on Veteran. I remember COD 3 was just nuts in a couple of spots. There were some of those awesome parts where you had to reach a certain place to get a checkpoint and the enemies just kept coming. You were forced to charge ahead into a ton of enemies and you can't get hit. That was fun.
---
#8Phoenixmon2Posted 1/10/2013 4:41:56 PM
In a perfect world, all games would increase difficulty through things like smarter enemy AI, less powerful weapon ammo, or just anything other than taking away options from the player.

It's not a fault of the player many times when he dies on Legendary difficulty - there was just nothing he could do, he had to try something and it didn't work. In a perfect world, you would always die directly because of your actions, not because of numbers.
#9lderivedxPosted 1/10/2013 4:44:25 PM
On legendary in CE, you took less damage from your own grenades than you did on other difficulties.
#10Ultima_WraithPosted 1/10/2013 4:46:06 PM
lderivedx posted...
On legendary in CE, you took less damage from your own grenades than you did on other difficulties.

You also get grenades earlier in the first stage than in other difficulties.
---
Pokemon Black 2 FC: 5372-8212-5739 | 3DS Friend Code 0430-8284-1167 | Gamertag: UltimaWraith