Swat=CoD?

#1PruetteBoyTJPosted 1/24/2013 2:06:24 PM
I've seen this comparison made a few times from a couple different people. I'm curious if you think that way, if you could explain what the really means, and why you say that. I'll go ahead and say I love Swat, its basically the only gametype I play anymore.

I'll also say that I believe it to be more of a test of skill than the other games. No power weapons, no AA, either BR or DMR and quick twitch skills. Imo it combines distance and CQB in a way that's unique in Halo. One to the head, that's all. It makes one on one battles more even, and left more up to who's better, rather than who has the sword/shotgun/sniper/etc.

Opinions?

Just want a discussion, not to change anybody's mind or convert more players to Swat. Hell, up until the Forge list dropped, Swat was only second to Infinity Slayer in #s.
---
hit share demo...Choose a friend and hit send... Easy as pooping.-DrJoe90
#2SpiduxxudipSPosted 1/24/2013 2:07:56 PM
I'll also say that I believe it to be more of a test of skill than the other games. No power weapons, no AA, either BR or DMR and quick twitch skills

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
---
They call me Spoke Wrecker...
Thizz iz what it iz GT-Spidux
#3enterthemadroxPosted 1/24/2013 2:15:45 PM
PruetteBoyTJ posted...
I've seen this comparison made a few times from a couple different people. I'm curious if you think that way, if you could explain what the really means, and why you say that. I'll go ahead and say I love Swat, its basically the only gametype I play anymore.

I'll also say that I believe it to be more of a test of skill than the other games. No power weapons, no AA, either BR or DMR and quick twitch skills. Imo it combines distance and CQB in a way that's unique in Halo. One to the head, that's all. It makes one on one battles more even, and left more up to who's better, rather than who has the sword/shotgun/sniper/etc.

Opinions?

Just want a discussion, not to change anybody's mind or convert more players to Swat. Hell, up until the Forge list dropped, Swat was only second to Infinity Slayer in #s.

When I played today, the numbers were:

1. Big Team Infinity Slayer
2. Infinity Slayer
3. SWAT
4. Forge Test

Anyway, I enjoy SWAT, it's fun actually looking around corners in case of an enemy ambush and only carrying either a DMR/Magnum or BR (depending on your loadout).
---
Getting awfully tired of GameFAQs mods removing my posts for being "offensive" when I've done nothing wrong
#4forthnbackPosted 1/24/2013 2:21:41 PM
CoD is similar to SWAT, yes. Firing first is a huge step to winning, as everyone dies in a second of gunfire.

As to your other point. Twitch-aim is definately a skill, but really the only skill that SWAT requires. Lets assume two people are equal marksmen, and able to reliably land their DMR or BR shots. The person who notices the other person and fires first is the person who wins. Very low-skill.

If you round a corner and get the drop on three people, three rapid headshots later and they are all dead. Conversely, if you round the corner and run into three people in regular Slayer and fire off three shots, you've killed no one. And now you must deal with three players at once. It forces you to be less brash, as depressing the firing button first doesn't net you a win. It forces you to utilize a broad swathe of skills that take a very deep deep second place in CoD/SWAT.

There is no way it requires more skill. You might certainly enjoy and prefer it more, but it takes signfigantly less skills to be good at it.
---
lizard_cops5771 - carbine should be called the space chugger
Urdnot_Runt - wat
#5enterthemadroxPosted 1/24/2013 2:23:02 PM
forthnback posted...
CoD is similar to SWAT, yes. Firing first is a huge step to winning, as everyone dies in a second of gunfire.

Describing all FPS games ever FTW
---
Getting awfully tired of GameFAQs mods removing my posts for being "offensive" when I've done nothing wrong
#6bearded_moosePosted 1/24/2013 2:43:03 PM
i made the comment that "swat is where you go to practice CoD" earlier today on another topic, and i stand by it. Halo is not about accuracy, it's about precision (if you're unclear, look up the definitions of both words) and the precision factor goes out the window in swat. it all becomes about who shoots first, or, if the player can't get a headshot, it becomes about who can hide better and empty a Magnum clip into their unsuspecting opponent faster.
---
-Every fanboy needs a troll to keep him disillusioned.
PirateSwordsman is my new favorite.1/18/13
#7forthnbackPosted 1/24/2013 2:43:39 PM
enterthemadrox posted...
forthnback posted...

Describing all FPS games ever FTW

Yes, all FPS require firing. Very good.
---
lizard_cops5771 - carbine should be called the space chugger
Urdnot_Runt - wat
#8phillyeagles123Posted 1/24/2013 6:47:01 PM
SWAT requires quick reaction time and seeing the enemy before the enemy sees you. That's pretty much how COD plays. Both also have pretty much instantaneous kill times.
#9originlucario9Posted 1/24/2013 6:53:28 PM
Swat is mostly for headshots and quick reaction time. Before I usually play btb and slayer I play swat to quick up my headshot skills.then play what I like to play. Though I also play swat for boredom or headshot commendation.
#10deimos91Posted 1/24/2013 9:28:50 PM
the old maps maybe because so many have huge sight lines that make it into a sniper fest but the forge maps are balanced with it all really well shutout is perfect way to do longer sight lines
---
steam:fartman91/3DSFC:3265-5740-7951