Long time Halo player, what should I expect going into Halo 4 online?

#1HaloODSTDPosted 1/26/2013 9:19:29 AM
Played every Halo since launch, just put +600 hrs into Halo Reach alone..I played maybe 4 hours of Halo 4 at my friend's house and it was a lot different than Reach (I hear it's closer to Halo 2/3?)

I really want to be the best player online.

GT: Jessica Jung xo
http://youtu.be/YolyXg1270M
---
Playstation 3.
PSP.
#2SunDevil77Posted 1/26/2013 9:21:20 AM
To be killed by me, ODSTD!
---
Bro, when you tack on mass, you sacrifice flexibility. That's just a straight up fact
#3yoshiisbackPosted 1/26/2013 9:23:51 AM
If your gt is your gfs name, you are quite a scrub.
---
XBL GT: Yoshi eats
#4KamickasPosted 1/26/2013 9:50:35 AM
Only play with friends. If you play with randoms, expect teamkilling, faffing about, and being sabotaged the entire match because you "took my [insert-power-weapon-here]".

I remember the days when I could play randoms and only get the occasional douchebag, but that has sadly long since passed. Seems like if I try to do anything other than rush the enemy with default weapons, I get a teammate trying to screw me over or take my crap...regardless of whether i'm actually doing well or not. I've had many matches where i'm leading the team, sometimes arguably carrying them, and get accused of doing nothing despite my scores being available for anyone to see. Hell, the last match I played I had more than the combined total of points in a CTF match than my entire team from flag defense bonuses, and was teamkilled "because I wasn't contributing".
#5D3NZ1987Posted 1/26/2013 10:01:55 AM
Kamickas posted...
Only play with friends. If you play with randoms, expect teamkilling, faffing about, and being sabotaged the entire match because you "took my [insert-power-weapon-here]".

I remember the days when I could play randoms and only get the occasional douchebag, but that has sadly long since passed. Seems like if I try to do anything other than rush the enemy with default weapons, I get a teammate trying to screw me over or take my crap...regardless of whether i'm actually doing well or not. I've had many matches where i'm leading the team, sometimes arguably carrying them, and get accused of doing nothing despite my scores being available for anyone to see. Hell, the last match I played I had more than the combined total of points in a CTF match than my entire team from flag defense bonuses, and was teamkilled "because I wasn't contributing".

Riveting tale, my boy.
---
Remember this, if you see someone doing something but at the same time watching you... then he is a cop.
#6SpiduxxudipSPosted 1/26/2013 10:15:49 AM
(I hear it's closer to Halo 2/3?)

No. The physics of the game are pretty strong, but everything else is kinda lame. Instant respawns ruin map flow, default sprinting doesn't help because when you couple those two things get pretty ****ed up - You start a fire fight with someone and kill them, before your shields can recharge there is a strong probability that the person you just killed will be on your ass.

Starting weapons make what was common place in every other halo obsolete. There is no more hunting for a good weapon, controlling a map for a weapon or any of that. Since map default weapons are on random spawns there is a strong probability that a power weapon will magically appear in front of the enemy team (or your team) at the worst possible times. "Hey, we pushed the enemy back into their base and we have total map control-OH WAIT they just had an Incin cannon spawn in front of them and our whole team is dead AWESOME!".

Basically Halo 4 isn't like any other Halo. The new additions are, well in my opinion, crap. You can still have fun, sure, but don't expect this to be like Halo (the only similarities are the fact that you play as a Spartan with shields and have Halo guns, that's it). I have more fun getting my ass stomped with the good players here in customs than I do winning games in MM teamed with randoms - Some of the MLG/ALG custom settings return Halo to what it was, but it's still not quite right IMO.

Wow, this was a long ranting post and I'm not even sure if it makes sense. Too early in the morning and not enough caffeine in my system yet.
---
They call me Spoke Wrecker...
Thizz iz what it iz GT-Spidux
#7HaloODSTD(Topic Creator)Posted 1/26/2013 10:33:52 AM
SpiduxxudipS posted...
Since map default weapons are on random spawns there is a strong probability that a power weapon will magically appear in front of the enemy team (or your team) at the worst possible times. "Hey, we pushed the enemy back into their base and we have total map control-OH WAIT they just had an Incin cannon spawn in front of them and our whole team is dead AWESOME!".

But from what I remember playing, don't you get ordinance drops by killing people? So if you are pretty much dominating a team, those players have less of chance of getting power weapons? (correct me if I'm wrong, not sure how ordinance drops work)

Kamickas posted...
Only play with friends. If you play with randoms, expect teamkilling, faffing about, and being sabotaged the entire match because you "took my [insert-power-weapon-here]"..

After putting in roughly +1600 hours into Halo 2, 3, and Reach online, I've come to always expect to not expect anything resembling teamwork from randoms..
---
Playstation 3.
PSP.
#8bd0g5Posted 1/26/2013 10:35:47 AM
if you play flag, multiple people will sit with camo and their pocket shotguns.
---
OOOH LAWD JESUS OH JESUS GET DA WATER *****! IT GOING DOWN! DEM MOTHER******* BOOTLEG FIREWORK ****! OH ****! wooo
#9HaloODSTD(Topic Creator)Posted 1/26/2013 10:37:34 AM
bd0g5 posted...
if you play flag, multiple people will sit with camo and their pocket shotguns.

does Promethean vision see dudes in camo?

btw, I'm one of those guys that use camo and shotgun in Reach :P
---
Playstation 3.
PSP.
#10SpiduxxudipSPosted 1/26/2013 10:39:47 AM
SpiduxxudipS posted...
Since map default weapons are on random spawns there is a strong probability that a power weapon will magically appear in front of the enemy team (or your team) at the worst possible times. "Hey, we pushed the enemy back into their base and we have total map control-OH WAIT they just had an Incin cannon spawn in front of them and our whole team is dead AWESOME!".

But from what I remember playing, don't you get ordinance drops by killing people? So if you are pretty much dominating a team, those players have less of chance of getting power weapons? (correct me if I'm wrong, not sure how ordinance drops work)

You do, but it's random. You get 7 kills and get an ordnance that could be plasma nades, a needler, and speed boost while someone on the opposing team that gets 14 assists might get a Binary Rifle, Damage Boost and Rockets. Not very fair IMO.

They should have based the personal ordnance on how well you were doing so far; I.E. if you got 7 kills with no deaths in the first 2 minutes of the game you should get a decent choice for your ordnance where as someone who takes half the match to get the ordnance with assists should get a crappier selection. That makes people actually try harder to do better, something Halo has always been about. Now, it just seems that it rewards mediocre gameplay.

Couple that with the DMR, Camo and Boltshot starts and a lot of n00bish players don't want to do anything except camp around a corner or in their base the whole map. Why not? Assists and other medals like that can and will get you the same things as someone actually trying the whole match.
---
They call me Spoke Wrecker...
Thizz iz what it iz GT-Spidux