So what is Bloom?

#31That1GuyyPosted 1/27/2013 5:05:48 PM
Phoenixmon2 posted...
My only point in any of these arguments is that bloom had NOTHING to do with it. It's a visual mechanic for the HUD. If you turned the HUD off, the DMR would still be working the same exact way.

Um, okay? You're free to say that, but there is absolutely no reason to not also call the system through which guns lose accuracy by the same name as the visual representation of said loss in accuracy. You are jumping through a series of semantic hoops that is irrelevant to what anyone else is talking about.

You act like everyone is upset that they are seeing their reticle expand, when, in reality, every time people mention bloom they are actually talking about the loss in accuracy. No precision weapon in previous Halos were ever as innacurrate as the DMR when bloom was enabled, which is what people were upset about.
---
Perfection. Where everyone fails.
If you expect nothing you can be happy for everything.
#32lderivedxPosted 1/27/2013 5:31:16 PM
My only point in any of these arguments is that bloom had NOTHING to do with it. It's a visual mechanic for the HUD. If you turned the HUD off, the DMR would still be working the same exact way.

What scares me is that people like you exist.
---
You hate even numbers? Are you one of those people that only eats certain colors of M&Ms? -skiergamer23
GT: i derive dx
#33jats605Posted 1/27/2013 5:37:03 PM
I haven't seen a gun in Halo 4 that shoots at 45 degree angles, being held at 90. That's quite the exaggeration.

Then you haven't shot the DMR.
---
Jets on runways with people in them can't be destroyed. Except sometimes they can but not most of the time. --it_r_over9000
#34Phoenixmon2Posted 1/27/2013 5:41:57 PM
That1Guyy posted...
Phoenixmon2 posted...

Um, okay? You're free to say that, but there is absolutely no reason to not also call the system through which guns lose accuracy by the same name as the visual representation of said loss in accuracy.

There's already a name for it! Spread! Or just accuracy to refer to the weapon's characteristics in general!

You act like everyone is upset that they are seeing their reticle expand, when, in reality, every time people mention bloom they are actually talking about the loss in accuracy. No precision weapon in previous Halos were ever as innacurrate as the DMR when bloom was enabled, which is what people were upset about.

Nope, I'm well aware people were upset because they couldn't get kills when they thought they should have. All I've ever tried to do is tell people "It's the gun, not the reticle bloom".
#35That1GuyyPosted 1/27/2013 5:45:46 PM
Phoenixmon2 posted...
There's already a name for it! Spread! Or just accuracy to refer to the weapon's characteristics in general!

Spread is not the same thing as bloom. Spread is the area where a bullet can randomly land when a gun fires. Bloom is an increase in spread due to continuous firing. Spread and bloom are related, but they are not the same thing.

Phoenixmon2 posted...
Nope, I'm well aware people were upset because they couldn't get kills when they thought they should have. All I've ever tried to do is tell people "It's the gun, not the reticle bloom".

Once again, you are arguing semantics. This doesn't address anything that anyone cares about.
---
Perfection. Where everyone fails.
If you expect nothing you can be happy for everything.
#36jats605Posted 1/27/2013 5:47:56 PM(edited)

There zero bloom DMR was pinpoint accurate actually.

QED
---
Jets on runways with people in them can't be destroyed. Except sometimes they can but not most of the time. --it_r_over9000
#37Phoenixmon2Posted 1/27/2013 5:54:57 PM
That1Guyy posted...
Phoenixmon2 posted...

Spread is not the same thing as bloom. Spread is the area where a bullet can randomly land when a gun fires. Bloom is an increase in spread due to continuous firing. Spread and bloom are related, but they are not the same thing.

If you want to argue about terms for first person shooters, you're going to have to pull up the video game terminology dictionary. I think what the reticle does is called bloom, and where the bullets go when you fire the weapon is called spread. Is there an authority on this topic? I don't think there is.

Once again, you are arguing semantics. This doesn't address anything that anyone cares about.

If I'm not addressing the argument, then we're not on the same page...which seemed to happen a lot in any other discussion on this topic. I think I'm ready to give up.
#38lderivedxPosted 1/27/2013 5:58:20 PM
Is there an authority on this topic? I don't think there is.

At least here, those are the generally accepted terms. Saying "everyone else is wrong because I have decided to use a different definition than them" makes no sense and is only a waste of time.
---
technically [bloom] adds to the game. but only in the same way cabbage adds to a bowl of froot loops. - ILikeJumpin
GT: i derive dx
#39jats605Posted 1/27/2013 6:00:07 PM
I think what the reticle does is called bloom, and where the bullets go when you fire the weapon is called spread.

Well then you're just wrong.
Spread implies a fixed reticle in which the bullets must land, bloom implies a gun with an expanding reticle where the bullets may land.
---
#40Phoenixmon2Posted 1/27/2013 6:59:18 PM
jats605 posted...
I think what the reticle does is called bloom, and where the bullets go when you fire the weapon is called spread.

Well then you're just wrong.
Spread implies a fixed reticle in which the bullets must land, bloom implies a gun with an expanding reticle where the bullets may land.

Nope, still not buying it. A reticle that doesn't expand will still have an area in which the bullets may land. And even if a reticle is blooming, at the exact point in time when you fire your weapon, it's no different than a reticle that doesn't expand. They are both reticles, and the bullets will fall somewhere within that reticle.

This is really stupid. And I bet we've gone off the rails.