So what is Bloom?

#41iRGushPosted 1/27/2013 7:01:41 PM
Phoenixmon2 posted...
jats605 posted...
I think what the reticle does is called bloom, and where the bullets go when you fire the weapon is called spread.

Well then you're just wrong.
Spread implies a fixed reticle in which the bullets must land, bloom implies a gun with an expanding reticle where the bullets may land.

Nope, still not buying it. A reticle that doesn't expand will still have an area in which the bullets may land. And even if a reticle is blooming, at the exact point in time when you fire your weapon, it's no different than a reticle that doesn't expand. They are both reticles, and the bullets will fall somewhere within that reticle.

This is really stupid. And I bet we've gone off the rails.

confirmed for stupid
---
Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.
#42lderivedxPosted 1/27/2013 7:02:31 PM
Spread refers to the bullets landing randomly.
Bloom refers to the are in which the bullets can land changing sizes.
---
this is a shining example of why people with alternating caps in their names are treated like special children. - Sin
GT: i derive dx
#43jats605Posted 1/27/2013 7:04:02 PM
Phoenixmon2 posted...
jats605 posted...
I think what the reticle does is called bloom, and where the bullets go when you fire the weapon is called spread.

Well then you're just wrong.
Spread implies a fixed reticle in which the bullets must land, bloom implies a gun with an expanding reticle where the bullets may land.

Nope, still not buying it. A reticle that doesn't expand will still have an area in which the bullets may land. And even if a reticle is blooming, at the exact point in time when you fire your weapon, it's no different than a reticle that doesn't expand. They are both reticles, and the bullets will fall somewhere within that reticle.

This is really stupid. And I bet we've gone off the rails.

Admittedly, my post was poorly explained.
Answer me this: If what you say is true, why was the DMR in Zero Bloom playlists in Reach 100% accurate?
---
Jets on runways with people in them can't be destroyed. Except sometimes they can but not most of the time. -- it_r_over9000
#44Phoenixmon2Posted 1/27/2013 7:16:01 PM
Was it actually titled "Zero Bloom Playlist"?
#45lderivedxPosted 1/27/2013 7:20:09 PM
Gametype is ZB Slayer DMRs
---
wait so you called final charming? i think your flirting. tc is also a pedo. aware child agencies immediately - Shrub
GT: i derive dx
#46jats605Posted 1/27/2013 7:22:52 PM(edited)
Phoenixmon2 posted...
Was it actually titled "Zero Bloom Playlist"?

Zero Bloom (or ZB, both were/are used) Slayer (among other gametypes, yes.

Point being, Zero Bloom was in the title.
By your logic, the DMR should have still been worthless.
---
Jets on runways with people in them can't be destroyed. Except sometimes they can but not most of the time. -- it_r_over9000
#47Phoenixmon2Posted 1/27/2013 7:22:04 PM
And didn't 343 take over Reach at that point? Were they the ones who instituted that change?
#48jats605Posted 1/27/2013 7:24:07 PM
Phoenixmon2 posted...
And didn't 343 take over Reach at that point? Were they the ones who instituted that change?

Yes.
---
#49Phoenixmon2Posted 1/27/2013 7:28:04 PM
Okay, then here's a post from Bungie's forums that words this whole thing pretty succinctly. The first part is just the guy quoting another guy.

Posted by: eraseme
its the mechanism by which instead of just missing and losing the fight, noobs are now able to pull the trigger more and hit their targets with some of the extra bullets they get to spew out.

Reticule bloom would be the mechanism that automatically adjusts the reticule to visually represent the separate, behind the scenes, mechanism that you described (which are a couple of spread modifier values to be precise). Noobs use the terms interchangeably, which has led to 343 using the word 'bloom' to encompass all of those things at once.
#50LethalbuttersPosted 1/27/2013 7:28:12 PM
Considering im in a hi tech suit, my gun shouldn't move therefore shouldn't be any bloom. And real life bloom doesn't exsist, it's the recoil.

Bloom in games is recoil without it moving your screen. If you hooked up a machine gun to something stable and shot a full clip, the bullets would stay in the same area, otherwise your gun is messed up.
---
It won't budge.