Why the CSR being hidden may be a good thing, but why it will ultimately fail.

#1help1Posted 1/27/2013 11:18:21 AM
You see, many of you weren't here when Halo 2 came out, but in Halo 2, you could see your rank in the game, but you could also see online on your PC how far you were into your level as represented by a blue bar. So if you were a level 35, you could kind of estimate how many wins you needed to get a 36. This wasn't as annoying as you'd think, which means this smartphone model will work well.

It WILL make high ranks less desirable and thus make significantly less people derank or boost. Anyone who played Halo 2 or Halo 3 saw that at the higher ranks, there was always a significant amount of gaming the system. There was nothing more annoying than being one win away from ranking up, to then joining a game where your three teammate commit suicide 10 times and then quit.

However, this is why it will ultimately fail:

1. It's coming too late! The key to having a good ranking system is to have a large sample size. The population of this game is too small, and by April will dwindle further. If the past Team Slayer Pro playlist is any indication, there will very few players in this ranked playlist. This means people will be rank locked early, and either look for other means of exploiting the system, or just not playing ranked.

2. Out of sight out of mind. The problem with it being hard to see the CSR means that people might just not care about winning, and just quit games early when they are down. This essentially replaces any benefit of avoiding derankers and boosters, since people quitting games instead of playing them through for possible comebacks hurts the ranking system. It's hard to assess how many people have smart phones or computers near by to see their up to the minute ranking system, but from reading complaints, it seems like there is still a sizeable amount of people without that luxury.

3. Halo Waypoint is a clunky piece of crap. This is a HUGE problem. Halo Waypoint on the iPhone is hard to navigate, and it updates SLOWLY. 15-20 minutes may elapse until stats from previous games show up. So the CSR being displayed on the waypoint app will be outdated.

4. 343 is dumb. Lets face it. They get it wrong more often than they get it right. They drop and fumble just about every ball we pass to them. Changes are the ranking algorithm will have some unforseen nuances that make it effectively meaningless. I can see the ranking system either being too lenient and making it even easier to get 50's just to stroke everyone's egos, OR I see them being extremely stupid and making it way too easy to get rank locked.
---
# of people who have said "Hi help1!" to me on Gamefaqs: 7
Last person to say hi: Alex_Sage and Azrael0206
#2supermoc10Posted 1/27/2013 11:29:15 AM
help1 posted...
You see, many of you weren't here when Halo 2 came out, but in Halo 2, you could see your rank in the game, but you could also see online on your PC how far you were into your level as represented by a blue bar. So if you were a level 35, you could kind of estimate how many wins you needed to get a 36. This wasn't as annoying as you'd think, which means this smartphone model will work well.

It WILL make high ranks less desirable and thus make significantly less people derank or boost. Anyone who played Halo 2 or Halo 3 saw that at the higher ranks, there was always a significant amount of gaming the system. There was nothing more annoying than being one win away from ranking up, to then joining a game where your three teammate commit suicide 10 times and then quit.

However, this is why it will ultimately fail:

1. It's coming too late! The key to having a good ranking system is to have a large sample size. The population of this game is too small, and by April will dwindle further. If the past Team Slayer Pro playlist is any indication, there will very few players in this ranked playlist. This means people will be rank locked early, and either look for other means of exploiting the system, or just not playing ranked.

2. Out of sight out of mind. The problem with it being hard to see the CSR means that people might just not care about winning, and just quit games early when they are down. This essentially replaces any benefit of avoiding derankers and boosters, since people quitting games instead of playing them through for possible comebacks hurts the ranking system. It's hard to assess how many people have smart phones or computers near by to see their up to the minute ranking system, but from reading complaints, it seems like there is still a sizeable amount of people without that luxury.

3. Halo Waypoint is a clunky piece of crap. This is a HUGE problem. Halo Waypoint on the iPhone is hard to navigate, and it updates SLOWLY. 15-20 minutes may elapse until stats from previous games show up. So the CSR being displayed on the waypoint app will be outdated.

4. 343 is dumb. Lets face it. They get it wrong more often than they get it right. They drop and fumble just about every ball we pass to them. Changes are the ranking algorithm will have some unforseen nuances that make it effectively meaningless. I can see the ranking system either being too lenient and making it even easier to get 50's just to stroke everyone's egos, OR I see them being extremely stupid and making it way too easy to get rank locked.

1. It'll be hard to get those players that have left but I think some advertisements on the Dashboard and on the internet about the CSR would definitely bring some of those players back.

2. Well a lot of people have smartphones/tablets (mostly phones) next to them when they're playing.

3. Nothing an update can't fix.

4. They're working on that CSR with Bravo so I think it'll turn out well.
---
PSN & Xbox Live: supermoc10
"Mr Zurkon does NOT come in peace"
#3iRGushPosted 1/27/2013 11:37:41 AM
I have a feeling a lot of random players like xjohnny413 or something wouldn't even know ranks exist
---
Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.
#4SpiduxxudipSPosted 1/27/2013 11:40:03 AM
The Smartphone/tablet thing has me a little confused. We'll be able to view the information on a standard PC right? I'm too poor (lol) to own a tablet right now and I, well, I hate smartphones. Stupid touch screen crap, I hate it! HATE IT! Yeah, there are non-touch screen smartphones but those suck too.
---
They call me Spoke Wrecker...
Thizz iz what it iz GT-Spidux
#5elitewarrior500Posted 1/27/2013 11:40:25 AM
or cheeseyboy 4477
---
E=mc^(OMG)/wtf
GT: Ceph Falco
#6feudelPosted 1/27/2013 11:40:47 AM
quit playing if it bothers you this much and shave the neckbeard nerd
---
Now Playing: Halo Reach Dead Rising 2 and Sonic 4
#7SpiduxxudipSPosted 1/27/2013 11:42:58 AM
*calls someone a nerd on a video game message board

*has a sig with games currently playing including Halo Reach and Sonic 4

IRON-IIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
---
They call me Spoke Wrecker...
Thizz iz what it iz GT-Spidux
#8KageNoSenshiPosted 1/27/2013 11:44:00 AM
LOL Sonic 4.
---
MvC3 Mains - Spidey(Y)/Deadpool(B)/Doom(B) | Experimenting: Phoenix(A)/Dante/(Y)/Doom(B)
XBL GT: KageSenshi ------ Chikara - Chie - Yuuki
#9help1(Topic Creator)Posted 1/27/2013 11:56:02 AM
feudel posted...
quit playing if it bothers you this much and shave the neckbeard nerd

*Looks at signature....* Yea, lets just never speak again, okay?
---
#10help1(Topic Creator)Posted 1/27/2013 11:56:44 AM
iRGush posted...
I have a feeling a lot of random players like xjohnny413 or something wouldn't even know ranks exist

Yup. They won't. If this had been included from Day one of release, then it probably would have been quite successful.
---