Any *EARLY* tips for a long time Halo player, first time Halo 4 player?

#1HaloODSTDPosted 1/28/2013 9:52:47 AM
I say early because I know you don't start out with the best weapons/abilities from SR1-10ish, I think. Anyway, I played as a guest over my friend's house (I think he's a SR-37) so many of the weapons/abilities are unlocked, but I'm not used to playing as the lowest ranks.

Also, will finding a match be hard if I'm a SR1-10ish and my friends are in the upper 30, low 40s?
---
Playstation 3.
PSP.
#2EDarienPosted 1/28/2013 10:04:06 AM
You'll be fine. Statistically the DMR is the best loadout weapon. Some prefer the Carbine, though. Take your pick. It's only I think 2 or 3 [currency] to unlock either. So grab one, unlock whichever perks/armor abilities sound useful to you and have fun.

Finding matches is never hard, no matter your SR. SR has no bearing on your "trueskill" or "CSR" they're calling it now. The more you play, the more the algorithm is able to detect about your skill level and match you appropriately with similar skill levels. However, it does go by playlist. So being really good and doing a lot in CTF won't carry your stats over the Slayer, if memory serves. So if you go to a new playlist, you'll be playing with similarly low-skilled/new to the playlist people.
---
Lali-ho!
#3HaloODSTD(Topic Creator)Posted 1/28/2013 10:06:25 AM
EDarien posted...
You'll be fine. Statistically the DMR is the best loadout weapon. Some prefer the Carbine, though. Take your pick..

don't you start out with the assault rifle/pistol? what are the best early abilities to use?
---
Playstation 3.
PSP.
#4elitewarrior500Posted 1/28/2013 10:17:18 AM
you only are forced to use AR for one game then you can unlock the DMR OR battle rifle
---
E=mc^(OMG)/wtf
GT: Ceph Falco
#5EDarienPosted 1/28/2013 10:17:23 AM
HaloODSTD posted...
EDarien posted...
You'll be fine. Statistically the DMR is the best loadout weapon. Some prefer the Carbine, though. Take your pick..

don't you start out with the assault rifle/pistol? what are the best early abilities to use?

Yes, you do. But you earn I think it's 2 currency per level for the first few levels, then it goes to 1 per level. Even if it's 1 per level from the beginning, then you can still buy the DMR or Carbine by level 4 guaranteed. The AAs and perks really depend on your playstyle. If you end up using say the Storm Rifle and Plasma Pistol (bad combo, by the way but just useful for my point) then you won't want Dexterity, as it speeds up reloading/weapon swapping. Using a DMR/Carbine with any secondary, Dexterity gets some use. Using say Plasma Pistol with DMR/BR will allow you to, sort of, "noob combo" if you have Dexterity. You'll use the PP to EMP the shields and DMR/BR to headshot. Of course, this is only effective at EMP ranges.

Boltshot is another secondary that a lot of people hate. It's effectively a shotgun 1 shot kill inside of 9 meters. It also only takes just under 2 seconds to charge it for the 1 shot kill. So that's an option if you like camping/1shotting. Otherwise, you've played the game, so you know about sprinting. That's a big change. Jetpack is a very useful AA. Hard to beat its versatility, so I'd suggest that for your first one. By level 50, though, you'll have enough currency to unlock everything so it's just he first few levels that are annoying.

Oh!! Also, I leveled up solely through the vs MP like SWAT, Slayer, CTF, etc. for the first 40-45 levels. That was a HUGE mistake. If you want to level quickly, do it in Spartan Ops. That will allow you the quicker leveling to buy all your weapon/perk options to test out and when you find some combos you like, take those into the multiplayer. You get, optimally, like 7700 XP for every mission run in Sp Ops in Matchmaking. If it takes over 8:30 to run it and you get at least 5 kills, you'll get the full amount. Wish I'd known about that when I started playing, heh. You only get like 2000 XP per CTF, etc. game. And that's if you win. It's closer to 1500 if you lose.
---
Lali-ho!
#6Asherlee10Posted 1/28/2013 10:20:14 AM
When I first started playing Halo 4, I went into Forge and learned all the maps before I started playing. It really helped me in the beginning so I didn't run into areas and not know how to get back somewhere.

I would also practice the timing of pulling the trigger on the DMR. It slightly rewards those with timing, versus the rapid trigger pulling.
---
"Opinions should be a result of a thought, not a substitute for it."
#7HaloODSTD(Topic Creator)Posted 1/28/2013 10:50:37 AM
Asherlee10 posted...
I would also practice the timing of pulling the trigger on the DMR. It slightly rewards those with timing, versus the rapid trigger pulling.

lol don't worry, I put over 600+ hours in Halo Reach.

Thing is, I'll be a low level player and my friends are already in the SR30s-40s, so I won't have many weapon/ability options as they do, which also means the enemy will be around the same range, so I don't want to be too overwhelmed.
---
Playstation 3.
PSP.
#8SunDevil77Posted 1/28/2013 11:33:58 AM
Wanna play with me ODSTD?
---
Bro, when you tack on mass, you sacrifice flexibility. That's just a straight up fact
#9HaloODSTD(Topic Creator)Posted 1/28/2013 11:36:51 AM
SunDevil77 posted...

Have we played before? I played with some people on the Reach boards, anyway my GT is "Jessica Jung xo"
---
Playstation 3.
PSP.
#10SunDevil77Posted 1/28/2013 11:38:54 AM
HaloODSTD posted...
SunDevil77 posted...

Have we played before? I played with some people on the Reach boards, anyway my GT is "Jessica Jung xo"

We have not...yet
---
Bro, when you tack on mass, you sacrifice flexibility. That's just a straight up fact