Question about Halo

#1denniedarkoPosted 1/31/2013 9:21:02 PM
Since this seems to be the most active of the Halo boards.

I recently started playing through all the Halo games and finished Reach last night. I started up the first Halo today and when Master Chief is on the bridge with Keyes and Cortana, it seems as though they know each other.

Isn't this their first time meeting? Speaking of Master Chief and Cortana that is.

Is there something I missed while playing Reach?

Just wondering. I appreciate any response.
---
Now Playing: Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch, Halo (series)
Last Played: Mass Effect (9/10), Mass Effect 2 (10/10), Mass Effect 3 (9/10)
#2EasygoingBirdPosted 1/31/2013 9:22:25 PM
Cortana and Chief meet earlier, it's described in one of the books. Though at this point they haven't known each other very long. If you like the lore, I'd high recommend reading the Fall of Reach. Even by itself, it's a very exceptional book and if you've played the games it's that much better.
---
Going to Mcdonalds with heart disease. Heavy risk, but the FRIIIIES
GT: Dr Chowder
#3denniedarko(Topic Creator)Posted 1/31/2013 9:24:25 PM
EasygoingBird posted...
Cortana and Chief meet earlier, it's described in one of the books. Though at this point they haven't known each other very long. If you like the lore, I'd high recommend reading the Fall of Reach. Even by itself, it's a very exceptional book and if you've played the games it's that much better.

That book isn't the same story from the game, Reach?
---
#4EasygoingBirdPosted 1/31/2013 9:31:17 PM
No, in fact if you read very closely they kind of conflict a bit. The book (The Fall of Reach) tells how Spartans were trained, some of their actions in the war with the covenant (the war has been going on for about 27 years before Halo 1, MC is biologically about 41 years old at the time of Halo 1) right up to where Halo 1 starts. So it's more like a prequel to both Halo Reach and Halo 1. Though mostly Halo 1 since most of the series concerns the Master Chief.
---
#5denniedarko(Topic Creator)Posted 1/31/2013 9:34:10 PM
EasygoingBird posted...
No, in fact if you read very closely they kind of conflict a bit. The book (The Fall of Reach) tells how Spartans were trained, some of their actions in the war with the covenant (the war has been going on for about 27 years before Halo 1, MC is biologically about 41 years old at the time of Halo 1) right up to where Halo 1 starts. So it's more like a prequel to both Halo Reach and Halo 1. Though mostly Halo 1 since most of the series concerns the Master Chief.

Alright, I'll check it out. Any of the other books worth checking out?
---
#6EasygoingBirdPosted 1/31/2013 9:42:06 PM
Most of them are actually very good. Definitely read Fall of Reach, and DO NOT read The Flood, it just follows the plot of the first game, and not in any sort of interesting way. First Strike is OK, worth reading if you really like Fall of Reach.

Ghosts of Onyx is also superb, follows a new storyline without the MC.
Don't really remember Contact Harvest or Cole Protocol so can't say much about those.

There are also books about the Forerunners that take place 100,000 years before the games. If you finish playing through the first trilogy (Halo 1-3), I'd really recommend reading Halo: Cryptum. The second book, Primordium, is pretty slow though, but it does introduce some things that happen in Halo 4.

In summary, definitely read Fall of Reach and Ghosts of Onyx. And Cryptum when you finish the main trilogy. Then you can read the others if you find it interesting, they're all pretty good (except for The Flood. Don't read it. Seriously.)
---
#7denniedarko(Topic Creator)Posted 1/31/2013 9:45:20 PM
EasygoingBird posted...
Most of them are actually very good. Definitely read Fall of Reach, and DO NOT read The Flood, it just follows the plot of the first game, and not in any sort of interesting way. First Strike is OK, worth reading if you really like Fall of Reach.

Ghosts of Onyx is also superb, follows a new storyline without the MC.
Don't really remember Contact Harvest or Cole Protocol so can't say much about those.

There are also books about the Forerunners that take place 100,000 years before the games. If you finish playing through the first trilogy (Halo 1-3), I'd really recommend reading Halo: Cryptum. The second book, Primordium, is pretty slow though, but it does introduce some things that happen in Halo 4.

In summary, definitely read Fall of Reach and Ghosts of Onyx. And Cryptum when you finish the main trilogy. Then you can read the others if you find it interesting, they're all pretty good (except for The Flood. Don't read it. Seriously.)

Thanks, I appreciate it. I know a local used book store had Fall of Reach for like 1.65 the other day. I'll have to see if it is still there and hunt down the other ones.

Thanks again.
---
#8EasygoingBirdPosted 1/31/2013 9:52:22 PM
Sure thing, I hope you enjoy the series. Glad I could help. You can check halopedia for any questions too, but watch out for spoilers, they're not marked very well.
---
#9denniedarko(Topic Creator)Posted 2/1/2013 9:22:27 AM
I ordered those three books. Been looking for something new to read. I really appreciate it. Looks like I now have plenty of lore to dive into.
---