*Spoilers* Do you think Master Chief will undergo Spartan IV conversion?

#41duckfreekPosted 2/3/2013 9:15:54 PM
This is slightly off topic, but I had a thought while reading the responses about S4s just being super b.a. marines upgraded, how cool would it be if Buck came back in a future title as a Spartan 4? The series could use more Nathan Fillion anyway
---
?
#42forthnbackPosted 2/4/2013 12:47:19 AM(edited)
dean407 posted...
I feel like this comes up so often, but where exactly does it explicitly state that III's are just as strong as II's. their training was more focused but I'm pretty sure III's are still not as physically advanced as II's. there horribly invasive procedures are part of what made them stronger, by switching methods of enhancements they made them more survivable but less effective. also there were apparently psychological problems associated with the chemical treatments that required adjusting to also. that's part of the reason they were sent on one way missions. Carter was selected for Noble because he just had above average potential.

even though the existence of Noble team blatantly retcons prior information but whatever, most of Reach was a massive retcon.

They state, explicitely, in Ghosts of Onxy that the III's had a superior training regime. This was stated by Kurt, an S2, who was trainer of the S3's alongside Mendez, who helped put the program together. If you are really particular, I'll provide a page and paragraph number.

The II's were not made tougher by their painful augmentation as opposed to safe augmentation. That's like saying a crappy doctor that painfully fixes your leg 40% of the time makes your leg stronger than a good doctor who fixes your leg 100% of the time. There were zero pysch problems associated with the S3's. What you refer to exists only in the experimental class of Gamma Generation, where Kurt added three chemicals to the procedure. It allowed the S3's of Gamma to, in times of intense trauma, flip a switch and berserk in a sense, pushing on long past the time another Spartan would drop of his wounds. This required constant treatments to offset the mental problems that came along with it. The S2's, however, found the Gamma S3's "twitchy."

Their use as suicidal supermen was determined from the very outset, not as any type of result from their augments. The program was meant to trade lives for time, in the words of ONI, from day 1.

Reach the game retcons only, and exactly, two things. The battle itself now takes place over a month's time, instead of a few days. The second is that the Pillar docks planetside towards the end of that month, and then jumps away to Halo 1. Cortana being there is not an issue, as it is only part of Cortana. The other part is with John. The part you deliver is the part that was working on all of the Forerunner research at the Latchkey project with Halsey......or did you think the Forerunner were running Windows 8? Cortana had to have learned their operating system prior to.

Finally, Noble Team retcons nothing. Halsey believed that the Nobles (sans Jorge) were from a second class of S2's, proposed by her and mothballed. She wondered if someone restarted her program. She finds out later that they were in fact S3, and an entirely new program.

Not to be rude, Dean, but I feel like you are extremely rusty on your knowledge. You are, no offense, incorrect on a number of points.
---
lizard_cops5771 - carbine should be called the space chugger
Urdnot_Runt - wat . . . . . . . . . [[GT: Burns Like Dawn]]
#43forthnbackPosted 2/4/2013 12:42:54 AM(edited)
Information comes from Ghosts of Onyx, Halsey's Journal from the Limited Edition of Reach, Bungie's Intel section of Reach.

And finally, Carter and the rest of Noble were better than "above average." There is an in-universe perspective letter, from Kurt to Mendez, about how some of the S3's they get meet the S2 genetic standards. And how these S3 are being extracted from the suicide pushes, given MJOLNIR, and used as proper Spartan. AKA Noble, Rosenda, and likely the unexplained teams of Gauntlet and Echo, that fought alongside Red.
---
#44forthnbackPosted 2/4/2013 1:06:30 AM(edited)
AoENIAC posted...
Their augmentations are physically not as extensive, as evident by Master Chief, who was not the tallest Spartan II by a long shot....

Master Chief did become a Spartan IV....

They're not going to remove his Spartan II augments just to give him inferior Spartan IV augments,....

John is exactly 1 inch taller than Palmer is, if both were out of armor. Palmer is not the tallest of the S4, with most of the Majestic males being taller. I do understand that the Epilogue video for H4 makes her seem much smaller, but thats due to angle and her being helmetless.

Master Chief can never be anything other than a Spartan II. The numerical "II" signifies he is a Spartan in the second iteration of the Spartan Program. He may very well be transfered out from Navy (his current branch) and into the Spartan branch, to work with the S4. But he can never be an S4, as he did not enlist and get trained in the fourth generation of the Spartan program.

A Spartan, regardless of generation (excluding Orion), is physically and mentally augmented to identical end results. Super strength, speed, heightened growth, etc. The S2's accomplished this surgical, and this method was prone to failure. The S3 method was chemically induced, and built upon the S2 method to eliminate most fatalities. The S4 use gene therapy (as its members are not growing children but already grown adults) to induce changes, but beyond that we do not know the specifics. The methods are different, and the years of active service and military childhood vs mundane childhood sets the S4 on a much lower playing field, but strictly physically they are identical in augmentation results. The method of augmentation may differ, but the end result is the same.
---
#45forthnbackPosted 2/4/2013 1:01:05 AM
duckfreek posted...
This is slightly off topic, but I had a thought while reading the responses about S4s just being super b.a. marines upgraded, how cool would it be if Buck came back in a future title as a Spartan 4? The series could use more Nathan Fillion anyway

I would love to see the squad be S4's, but we may never actually see this happen. First, they'd have to pay him again to use his voice/likeness. And.....well, that's my only real reason. I agree though, it would be 400% amazing.
---
#46Jakobs_FodderPosted 2/4/2013 1:05:07 AM
The Halo franchise is in serious need of *Redacted*.
---
The official Sheogorath of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.
The right and Righteous hand of Whatnos
#47forthnbackPosted 2/4/2013 1:06:54 AM
Jakobs_Fodder posted...

Not at all.
---
#48Jakobs_FodderPosted 2/4/2013 1:10:34 AM
forthnback posted...
Jakobs_Fodder posted...

Not at all.

How can this be? "Not at all."
---
#49forthnbackPosted 2/4/2013 1:25:45 AM
Mainly because I don't think you are using the word properly. For example.....

I am eating pretzels, with some juice because I'm thirsty.

That sentence has redacted portions, aka obscured. You likely mean retconned, which is erased and rewritten. Literally, a retroactive continuity. But there is no reason whatsoever for that, if you read all the lore. It makes sense, including the skewed Spartan numbers. I can explain that particular issue, if you like.
---
#50Jakobs_FodderPosted 2/4/2013 1:41:27 AM
forthnback posted...
Mainly because I don't think you are using the word properly. For example.....

I am eating pretzels, with some juice because I'm thirsty.

That sentence has redacted portions, aka obscured. You likely mean retconned, which is erased and rewritten. Literally, a retroactive continuity. But there is no reason whatsoever for that, if you read all the lore. It makes sense, including the skewed Spartan numbers. I can explain that particular issue, if you like.

All well and good, save for redaction of my own post in which I was going to place an explitive and a few personal opinions.

But no, I am content with the lore, and my knowledge of it.

Thank you, however.
---