So, good people, when you win a 1v1, or any match up for that matter...

#1COG_KillaPosted 2/4/2013 3:55:57 AM
is it because you're a better shot or because you have better map knowledge? You see, I know this person who says he wins money at tourneys. His stats aren't particularly much better than mine, he's got a 45% win rate and a 1.14 K/D (likely due to not giving a damn during MM, honestly). I was facing off against him, and I noticed something peculiar: We were pretty much evenly matched when it came to a BR duel, but he was ALWAYS timing the weapon spawns, he'd always have sniper and overshields and sticky detonator. Since I wasn't knowledgeable on the weapon spawns, I, naturally, lost. Multiple times.

In short, is knowledge really the secret here? I bet you guys always win because you're smarter than us casuals think you are, not because you have godly thumbs or what-have-you. The people who challenge you guys seem incredibly dumb when they expect to win on sheer strafe-and-aim skills (or lack of any skill) alone.
---
I think with my dipstick, because engine lubrication is important.
#2Blaze0fGloryPosted 2/4/2013 4:18:06 AM
It's both. When your really good you can run the maps backwards n stuff. Know where cover is without having to look for it. And of course awareness. Know what the opponents gonna do before he knows he's gonna do it.
---
Gangsta Walkin
#3Killean_NuggetsPosted 2/4/2013 4:39:04 AM
Being a smart player > having good aim.

And I doubt your friend makes money through halo.
---
vBlite
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pw5x_bc9Lvo&feature=plcp
#4VegnawarriorPosted 2/4/2013 4:44:27 AM
'Know what the opponent's going to do before he knows he's going to do it.'

What the hell does that mean?
---
It sounds reasonable. Why would someone go to the trouble of posting a lie on an internet message board? - Differential Equation
#5COG_Killa(Topic Creator)Posted 2/4/2013 4:51:49 AM
Killean_Nuggets posted...
And I doubt your friend makes money through halo.

He's very laid back when he's not in a competitive environment. I heard he usually lets in any old casual into scrimmages or whatever and he's not very serious in matchmaking. But yeah, maybe it's just small local stuff, I don't know.
---
#6Blaze0fGloryPosted 2/4/2013 6:00:03 AM
Vegnawarrior posted...
'Know what the opponent's going to do before he knows he's going to do it.'

What the hell does that mean?

Say you know rockets are gonna spawn. Wait for it. Ambush them on the way to rockets. Take rockets.
---
Gangsta Walkin
#7Asherlee10Posted 2/4/2013 6:46:46 AM
Killean_Nuggets posted...
Being a smart player > having good aim.

This is the answer.

Not only in 1v1, but all match ups. A smart player can predict what the enemy will do and be 1 step ahead.

For instance, it's easy to spot predictable behavior on Haven. Most people take the same pathways and run in the same direction.
---
"Opinions should be a result of a thought, not a substitute for it."
#8COG_Killa(Topic Creator)Posted 2/4/2013 6:33:10 PM
I gotta say, vBlite is the only poster that seems.... relevant? Is that the word? Who are you other people?
---
#9BillyBob_21Posted 2/4/2013 6:44:44 PM
Being able to know what someone is going to do before they do it is probably the best advice that I've seen so far. And I would also agree that being a smart player is more important that having great aim. Though you do need to at least have decent aim.

Anyway, once you play Halo for awhile, you can get good at predicting what your opponent is going to do. And if you are right, 9/10 times you are going to kill them. Always be a step ahead. If you are a step behind, you are going to have a very hard time.
---
GT: reallypoopyface
#10Bigtymer113Posted 2/4/2013 6:56:27 PM
The foundation of being a good player is map/spawn knowledge and positioning

Having good aim is what separates the good players from the great
---
Poetic Justice
GT: Swizzy Dangles