Spartan Ops Episode 8 discussions (spoilers)

#1Demigod_ElessarPosted 2/7/2013 1:03:12 AM
Didn't see any other topics mentioning this. Have any of you read Glasslands and/or The Thursday War? Didn't know if you noticed or not, but the woman Lasky reports to on the monitor is Serin Osman herself! I had such a huge smile on my face as I watched that cutscene. I love how 343 Industries is following up on their novels.

So, I'm assuming Parangosky has died sometime between 2553-58, and Osman has become the new head of ONI?

I was also very surprised she ordered Halsey to be executed, and Lasky didn't seem to take that order very well. Does anyone else get a feeling Osman/ONI may be being set up as a possible future villain? Or maybe like a neutral antagonist?

Also, what was the deal exactly with the artifact Glassman was working on for Jul? Does that portal (that Halsey takes) lead to the Librarian? I believe that was the whole deal on why Jul was interested in that... something to do with the Librarian.

Just wanted to discuss the story, and where it may be going. Episodes 6-8 have been absolutely fantastic!
---
IRON MAIDEN IS MY RELIGION!
Gamertag: Demigod Elessar
#2Famine_10f4Posted 2/7/2013 1:16:02 AM
Is anyone else finding these episodes extremely cheesy? Compared to the campaigns this episodic content has a completely different feel... I don't even want to call it Halo, and I CAN ****ING STAND MRS. EGGHEADS GIRL!!!
---
In an insane world, a sane man must appear insane.
#3RakesusPosted 2/7/2013 1:51:58 AM
They've really stepped up their game on these newest SpOps. I never read the novels (Traviss will forever remain as the woman who ruined Star Wars to me), but from what I could tell, Lasky looked quite pleased to have Halsey killed.

It would be kind of nice if all the supplementary crap was... a little more obvious and a lot more apparent in the actual game itself. Outside novels should be just that - outside, and not critical to understanding and enjoying the source itself. Having read the Silmarillion, I enjoyed LotR a lot more whenever they spoke of Valinor or Beren or Numenor; but I loved LotR as it was, without knowing anything about these things beyond the deep rich sense of history they brought.

Halo 4... tried that and missed badly. The terminals had the most interesting part of the story, but you couldn't even access those without using 343's miserable Waypoint. In the prior Halos, I didn't need this outside stuff to easily get the Covenant, their basic beliefs and motivations, and knowing why it was important to stop them. In 4, the creepy old alien guy we don't know anything about wants to exterminate humanity... because? Even with the terminals, it doesn't make too much sense. The Forerunner are more than gone (one heavily mutated old fart a species does not make), the Flood fully contained (as much as we know or are hinted at knowing), and humans have survived the concept of the Mantle the best of all the species readily apparent in the Haloverse. There's a case for Revenge, but even at that the Didact falls flat. Every human he ever could have had beef with is millenia dead, and their descendants show few enough signs of following their footsteps.

Sorry about the rant, just was hoping for a much better game than I got.
---
Back from the dead.... or maybe just Tokyo.
#4forthnbackPosted 2/7/2013 2:14:04 AM
I did a double take when I heard him address 'Admiral Osman.' Also, since they clearly won't be eliminating Halsey as a character, I can't help but wonder if she will be going rogue for a while. Possibly being the one who finds the Librarian and her Lifeworkers (believed by Gulity Spark to be alive on Installation 07, which is where he and his hijacked ONI Prowler are headed.)

I do believe that the Librarian and her Lifeworkers will be the counterpart to the Didact and his Prometheans. Her and the UNSC, and him with the Covenant, for round 2. We'll have to wait and see though.
---
lizard_cops5771 - carbine should be called the space chugger
Urdnot_Runt - wat . . . . . . . . . [[GT: Burns Like Dawn]]
#5Demigod_Elessar(Topic Creator)Posted 2/8/2013 2:59:25 PM(edited)
forthnback posted...
I did a double take when I heard him address 'Admiral Osman.' Also, since they clearly won't be eliminating Halsey as a character, I can't help but wonder if she will be going rogue for a while. Possibly being the one who finds the Librarian and her Lifeworkers (believed by Gulity Spark to be alive on Installation 07, which is where he and his hijacked ONI Prowler are headed.)

I do believe that the Librarian and her Lifeworkers will be the counterpart to the Didact and his Prometheans. Her and the UNSC, and him with the Covenant, for round 2. We'll have to wait and see though.

If you've watched the "Next on Spartan Ops" video, it indicates that Halsey has found the Librarian (hopefully it's the real one, and not another archive). Can't wait to see what results from all of this.

And I am kind of disappointed more people didn't discuss this. Well, after all, this topic is actually relevant to Halo 4; and doesn't involve trading, bragging, complaining, or LOLZ halotracker. I should have known better.
---
#6enterthemadroxPosted 2/8/2013 3:05:03 PM
Rakesus posted...
(Traviss will forever remain as the woman who ruined Star Wars to me)

Karen Traviss?

Yeah, she ruined Gears Of War 3 for me, wrote a horrible campaign story and made sure to throw enough references to the books she wrote to confuse people like me who hate the idea of having to buy books and such to know the full story when it could just be added in game with no problems.

I have enjoyed Spartan Ops though so far, just can't wait to see where Halsey went and why.
---
Getting awfully tired of GameFAQs mods removing my posts for being "offensive" when I've done nothing wrong
#7forthnbackPosted 2/9/2013 1:03:15 AM
If you've watched the "Next on Spartan Ops" video, it indicates that Halsey has found the Librarian (hopefully it's the real one, and not another archive). Can't wait to see what results from all of this.

Same here. Although, I don't think it will be the actual Librarian. Mainly because that would screw up the plothook they left us with GS and Installation 07. Its probably going to be the Librarian archive that MC met on Requiem, that the Didact slapped into lockdown.

Either way, almost upon us! I'm gonna be really sad when its over. I'd totally pay for a season 2.
---
#8Demigod_Elessar(Topic Creator)Posted 2/9/2013 1:48:40 AM(edited)
forthnback posted...

Same here. Although, I don't think it will be the actual Librarian. Mainly because that would screw up the plothook they left us with GS and Installation 07. Its probably going to be the Librarian archive that MC met on Requiem, that the Didact slapped into lockdown.

Either way, almost upon us! I'm gonna be really sad when its over. I'd totally pay for a season 2.

It still could be the real Librarian. Maybe she is on Installation 07 and that is where Halsey was teleported? But yeah, you're probably right about it being the archive. Heh, guess we'll have to wait and see...
---
#9forthnbackPosted 2/9/2013 1:52:15 AM
I really hope Palmer survives. Same with Majestic. Thye're the faces of the 4's, really.
---
#10Demigod_Elessar(Topic Creator)Posted 2/9/2013 2:00:30 AM
Yeah, I'm curious as to how they're going to close out the season? Are we finally going to encounter Jul? I'm sure they wouldn't kill him off so sudden, seems like he could be a big villain for the entirety of Spartan Ops (or even Halo 5/6 themselves).

One thing I've been wondering is, are they going to wrap up Requiem anytime soon? Is every season of Spartan Ops going to take place on Requiem, or will we explore other environments as well?

I picture Episode 10 ending with a glimpse of the Didact, an encounter with Jul, Jul and his Covenant fleeing Requiem, Palmer's death, or a cameo from the Chief (or any combination of the five).
---