after this generation, are DLC maps even worth it any more, in any game?

#1195_EclipsePosted 2/9/2013 1:35:24 PM
Link43130 posted...
Mr_arizona posted...
I just hope they don't force all playlists to require DLC like they did with Halo 3. Because I didn't buy ODST I could only play Social Slayer and nothing else. I bought Mythic pack 1 when it came out and still was locked out of everything so I just skipped it at that point. Also skipped Reach.

I hope they do force it. People in Halo 3 bought the maps because they had to if they wanted to play (also because they dropped the price after a few months) so I got to play on all the maps I paid for. In Reach and 4 they're not required outside of a few playlists and I never play on them as a result.

That is a perfect example of the self entitled attitude of gamers these days lol. "You should be forced to buy the maps to play the game because I bought them!"
---
Favorite game to date - Xenogears \/-/-/-/\
#12Mr_arizonaPosted 2/9/2013 1:57:18 PM
95_Eclipse posted...
Link43130 posted...
Mr_arizona posted...
I just hope they don't force all playlists to require DLC like they did with Halo 3. Because I didn't buy ODST I could only play Social Slayer and nothing else. I bought Mythic pack 1 when it came out and still was locked out of everything so I just skipped it at that point. Also skipped Reach.

I hope they do force it. People in Halo 3 bought the maps because they had to if they wanted to play (also because they dropped the price after a few months) so I got to play on all the maps I paid for. In Reach and 4 they're not required outside of a few playlists and I never play on them as a result.

That is a perfect example of the self entitled attitude of gamers these days lol. "You should be forced to buy the maps to play the game because I bought them!"

I'm not gonna get into that whole debate I'm just saying I bought the game and some time down the road I'm just no longer allowed to play 80% of the playlists cause I didn't buy ODST. Even with Mythic pack 1 it still locked me out of everything.

If possible I wish they had a search preference option for people with DLC. If you have all the up to date DLC the game will prioritize other players who also have it this way you can do big team or doubles with the DLC if you choose without forcing others out of the playlists cause they didn't spend more money.
---
http://i.imgur.com/HLzCM.gif
#13WebsandWigsPosted 2/9/2013 3:59:03 PM
I agree with TC, when you charge for new maps, you break up the community between people who pay for em (a small percentage) and everyone else. Also, I think maps packs should be free after a certain time.
#14YellowPurplePosted 2/9/2013 3:59:20 PM
Map packs in general are just overpriced nowadays, especially when you consider most of the maps in the map packs end up sucking. I'll gladly pay 15 bucks for 5 good maps, but you never know what you're getting when you throw that 15 bucks down. I remember when map packs were free or costed like 5 bucks.

I don't mind paying for the BF3 maps cus you get guns and stuff and most of the DLC maps are pretty good(Especially Karkand and Aftermath) so it's money well spent.
#15enterthemadroxPosted 2/9/2013 4:02:34 PM
Link43130 posted...
Mr_arizona posted...

That's a great way to lose potential players, lock them out of playlists and force them to buy extra content they don't really need.
---
Getting awfully tired of GameFAQs mods removing my posts for being "offensive" when I've done nothing wrong
#16KageNoSenshiPosted 2/10/2013 4:21:09 AM
DLC maps are rarely ever worth it. Especially since the only reason most people pay for them is that they either feel compelled to have the latest thing, or they don't want to feel left out from what everyone else is playing. That's why the whole DLC system works so well, especially when DLC stands for "Disc-Locked Content".

To put it even more plainly: with the amount of content that goes into a $60 game (which even then is often intentionally withdrawn), up to $3 per map is an asinine asking price.
---
MvC3 Mains - Spidey(Y)/Deadpool(B)/Doom(B) | Experimenting: Phoenix(A)/Dante/(Y)/Doom(B)
XBL GT: KageSenshi ------ Chikara - Chie - Yuuki
#17jihadwarriorPosted 2/10/2013 5:45:18 AM
KageNoSenshi posted...
DLC maps are rarely ever worth it. Especially since the only reason most people pay for them is that they either feel compelled to have the latest thing, or they don't want to feel left out from what everyone else is playing. That's why the whole DLC system works so well, especially when DLC stands for "Disc-Locked Content".

To put it even more plainly: with the amount of content that goes into a $60 game (which even then is often intentionally withdrawn), up to $3 per map is an asinine asking price.

Not even on the disc, but withheld from development to be shipped as DLC at a later date. The ultimate jack move.
---
Now if you'll excuse me, Im goin scuba diving with Chris Tucker and Aqua Man.---
D3 Hero Profile-http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Rambro-1133/hero/4077328