I'm sick of everything becoming casualized

#1Minjo26Posted 2/10/2013 12:59:35 PM
Why does it seem like every single outlet of mainstream media is becoming completely casualized? This already happened to music and movies in the 90s, but I'm surprised the video game industry is now leaning in this direction too.

My two favourite competitive console games (SSBM and Halo 2/3) were completely ruined in their future instalments due to the skill curve being cut in half and the addition of random crutch gameplay mechanisms (Bloom on Reach's DMR, tripping in Brawl.)
Halo 4 took things to an all time low with the loadout system and power weapons.

The quality of console gaming after the SNES-N64 generations is on a clear decline, and I fear what the next generation of console gaming will be like.
#2jakethenoobPosted 2/10/2013 1:13:40 PM
Money is the only reason it happens. Any fool can play CoD, that's why it's so popular.
---
Game collection: http://postimage.org/gallery/1tqkmeku/
#3enterthemadroxPosted 2/10/2013 1:14:41 PM
Um....ok?

I don't see how the Smash Bros series became "casual" any more than it already was. I hate the term "casual" anyway because it's only used by elitists (who tend to be obnoxious and have a "you can't like this, I liked it first!" mentality).

Isn't it good that people who weren't gamers before are coming into our world thanks to the easy games that get them sucked in and turn them into people like us who have played a lot of videogames since the 80s? Otherwise, videogames would be a dying medium due to lack of sales.

Think about it. COD games are considered the cool thing to play for whatever reason so people who wouldn't have played a videogame before picks it up, enjoys it and seeks out other games, discovering Halo for the first time and then moving onto other genres too.

My first videogame was Super Mario Bros when I was a kid and I assume there would've been complaints about that being "too casual" if we had an internet and the obnoxious idiots that inhabit it back then like we do now.

Maybe you think games are too easy because you're at a point where there's nothing left for you to improve on (which is doubtful)?

Say someone masters Street Fighter IV, they easily get through Super SF IV and complain that it's "too casual" because they conquered the previous game and are up against people who started out on Super SF IV and need to learn and improve to be able to match you in MP?
---
Getting awfully tired of GameFAQs mods removing my posts for being "offensive" when I've done nothing wrong
#4Blue_ChevalierPosted 2/10/2013 1:18:00 PM
enterthemadrox posted...
Um....ok?

I don't see how the Smash Bros series became "casual" any more than it already was. I hate the term "casual" anyway because it's only used by elitists (who tend to be obnoxious and have a "you can't like this, I liked it first!" mentality).

Isn't it good that people who weren't gamers before are coming into our world thanks to the easy games that get them sucked in and turn them into people like us who have played a lot of videogames since the 80s? Otherwise, videogames would be a dying medium due to lack of sales.

Think about it. COD games are considered the cool thing to play for whatever reason so people who wouldn't have played a videogame before picks it up, enjoys it and seeks out other games, discovering Halo for the first time and then moving onto other genres too.

My first videogame was Super Mario Bros when I was a kid and I assume there would've been complaints about that being "too casual" if we had an internet and the obnoxious idiots that inhabit it back then like we do now.

Maybe you think games are too easy because you're at a point where there's nothing left for you to improve on (which is doubtful)?

Say someone masters Street Fighter IV, they easily get through Super SF IV and complain that it's "too casual" because they conquered the previous game and are up against people who started out on Super SF IV and need to learn and improve to be able to match you in MP?

You obviously work for EA and you are trying to skew opinions in your favor, so that your stock prices may rise by a 8.87632%.

You can't stop the 99 percent, FAT CAT!
---
GT: Blue Pellasiwe.
Look me up and laugh at my terrible misfortune.
#5catdog97Posted 2/10/2013 1:21:47 PM
enterthemadrox posted...
Um....ok?

yeeeeeeeeees

let the butthurt flow
---
i love gwen stefani so much xD shes bananas
b-a-n-a-n-a-s
#6Minjo26(Topic Creator)Posted 2/10/2013 1:23:11 PM
enterthemadrox posted...
Um....ok?

You raise a few good points, but I still think you are overall incorrect. I'm nothing near an elitist, so maybe causal the wrong word to use. But let's use music for an example... you can't deny that Justin Bieber puts out better music, then let's say a band like Radiohead... but Bieber's has over a hundredfold popularity due to it's easy listening and mass appeal.

It's not just that games are becoming to easy, it's moreso they are sacrificing creativity in place of mass appeal (competitiveness is only one end of the spectrum, creativity is more important, so yes, "casual" was probably a bad term to use)

Anyways, I doubt a game like Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Donkey Kong Country 2 or Banjo Kazooie will every be released again... that's all I'm getting at.
#7YellowPurplePosted 2/10/2013 1:23:40 PM
Video games, like any other product, are trying to attract more customers. That's why you might feel like games are a bit easier or have features that hold your hand a bit now.
#8YellowPurplePosted 2/10/2013 1:28:53 PM
I do agree that games aren't creative as they used to be, though. Too many games just try to copy other games. Pretty much every shooter released now is a Modern Warfare setting cus of how big CoD4 got a few years ago.
#9catdog97Posted 2/10/2013 1:31:43 PM
its like

when mcdonald got big doin what he does why does EVERYONE else have burgers + dollar menu its stupid only them should
---
i love gwen stefani so much xD shes bananas
b-a-n-a-n-a-s
#10Pro7oPosted 2/10/2013 1:32:43 PM
Back in the day, when you used to go to your friends houses instead of playing online, we used to get real competitive with games on the N64 like Turok: Seeds, This one FPS shooting minigame on Banjo Game, and the original smash Bros. The Next generation of consoles brought that to a whole new level. We were playing Melee with intensity even though we didnt know about advanced techniques like wave dashing and spiking. The Xbox was in full effect and Halo 2 was a monster. We were creating clans and befriending other cats online, striving to get our level up. Halo 2, with its auto-updates and metagame changes (read: Battle Rifle) took a year or two to reach the competitive plateau, but the end product was ridiculously fun.

This past summer I met some cool cats who were gamers and a few times we would have at it on the one dude's Brawl game. Being the first time I played it, I thought it was super gimmicky, from the characters to the general mechanics. Now, the guy had mastered the game and would serve me up with any character he chose, I usually play Fox. I would tell him "Man, this don't count let's go on Melee, I am unbeatable." The game was never available to us though.

When I first bought Halo 4 I sat there thinking, Damn Should Have bought Black Ops2. This game can still be fun, you have to make it fun. I prefer playing CTF at all times since there is no ordnance rewards, or random drops (I think). The Objective is based more on teamwork than mindless slaying. Now that they have introduced Team Doubles, I am starting to like this game again. I've been streaking in Doubles with two different pals, haven't lost yet. The funny thing is one day we played almost all Players with Guests. Only one Guest team challenged us. Then we got down to the actual players, leveled 80+ (I'm 69) and they can't handle me. The score was 110 to 60 and both players dropped. I'm sitting there like Seriously?! You don't think you can overcome a five point defecit?? You have over Ten thousand kills and you just drop out.

Also read: More from GameSpot: MLG-produced game inevitable.
---
"Guys Like You Make Us Look Bad"