I'm sick of everything becoming casualized

#11H3YGUYS34Posted 2/10/2013 1:41:54 PM
Minjo26 posted...
enterthemadrox posted...
Um....ok?

I don't see how the Smash Bros series became "casual" any more than it already was. I hate the term "casual" anyway because it's only used by elitists (who tend to be obnoxious and have a "you can't like this, I liked it first!" mentality).

Isn't it good that people who weren't gamers before are coming into our world thanks to the easy games that get them sucked in and turn them into people like us who have played a lot of videogames since the 80s? Otherwise, videogames would be a dying medium due to lack of sales.

Think about it. COD games are considered the cool thing to play for whatever reason so people who wouldn't have played a videogame before picks it up, enjoys it and seeks out other games, discovering Halo for the first time and then moving onto other genres too.

My first videogame was Super Mario Bros when I was a kid and I assume there would've been complaints about that being "too casual" if we had an internet and the obnoxious idiots that inhabit it back then like we do now.

Maybe you think games are too easy because you're at a point where there's nothing left for you to improve on (which is doubtful)?

Say someone masters Street Fighter IV, they easily get through Super SF IV and complain that it's "too casual" because they conquered the previous game and are up against people who started out on Super SF IV and need to learn and improve to be able to match you in MP?

You raise a few good points, but I still think you are overall incorrect. I'm nothing near an elitist, so maybe causal the wrong word to use. But let's use music for an example... you can't deny that Justin Bieber puts out better music, then let's say a band like Radiohead... but Bieber's has over a hundredfold popularity due to it's easy listening and mass appeal.

It's not just that games are becoming to easy, it's moreso they are sacrificing creativity in place of mass appeal (competitiveness is only one end of the spectrum, creativity is more important, so yes, "casual" was probably a bad term to use)

Anyways, I doubt a game like Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Donkey Kong Country 2 or Banjo Kazooie will every be released again... that's all I'm getting at.

I miss banjo and kazooie don't like nuts and bolt though to building focused.
---
If tomorrow is yesterday and today is tomorrow then tomorrow is today. Gt: G4MECRUSHER101(all caps).
#12ODommPosted 2/10/2013 1:57:17 PM
you can't deny that Justin Bieber puts out better music, then let's say a band like Radiohead

Credibility lost
---
The mind of the subject will desperately struggle to create memories where none exist...
~~AND DO THE HARLEM SHAKE~~
#13metroidman92Posted 2/10/2013 2:09:31 PM
Halo 1 was a casualized Marathon. Come at me.
---
Xbox Kinect. Works better as a MoCap tool for amateur animators than it does as a gaming gimmick.
#14spindler01Posted 2/10/2013 2:12:39 PM
Minjo26 posted...
you can't deny that Justin Bieber puts out better music, then let's say a band like Radiohead.

Ouch
#15Frumpy88Posted 2/10/2013 2:29:20 PM
If u sold a product and only 10 people bought it while 1000 others would buy it if it was changed a little, what would u do? Not change anything and only have 10 customers, or change the product and sell 100 times more than before?
Companies want more money. Period. Everyone does.
If u have a problem with the way video games are heading then start your own video game company.
That's how Lamborghini started making cars and look at them
---
B BAKD
#16SpiduxxudipSPosted 2/10/2013 2:31:04 PM
But let's use music for an example... you can't deny that Justin Bieber puts out better music, then let's say a band like Radiohead...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya2TlGvY6nM
---
What do I look like, Mr Frank-****-For-Free? No Doe, Hoe? You can't **** with me
Thizz iz what it iz -- GT - Spidux
#17ssj3bladePosted 2/10/2013 2:33:11 PM
I play mainly CTF for that reason, it's objective and there's no stupid ordinance. But now they've added Infinity CTF and Exile and now those are the only options that get picked, along with Infinity Valhalla.

It's like how the playlist with the highest population is the unbearably casual BTB. Gamers these days feel this sense of entitlement which makes them rage if someone is better than them without any crutch mechanics.
---
http://i46.tinypic.com/68tye8.jpg
~ ssj3blade || GT = finalfantastica
#18SpiduxxudipSPosted 2/10/2013 2:35:33 PM
To this day I don't see how someone can go negative in Big Team.

Yet it happens.
---
What do I look like, Mr Frank-****-For-Free? No Doe, Hoe? You can't **** with me
Thizz iz what it iz -- GT - Spidux
#19DarkGam3rPosted 2/10/2013 2:38:45 PM
Casual + Hardcore players = Wider Audience = $$$

In other words, companies like having money.
---
"I'm no hero."
#20Minjo26(Topic Creator)Posted 2/10/2013 4:03:51 PM
ODomm posted...
you can't deny that Justin Bieber puts out better music, then let's say a band like Radiohead

Credibility lost

lol! sorry, worded completely wrong way... meant to say you can't deny that a band like Radiohead puts out better music than Bieber...
If you read the whole thing you should have got the idea...