Was/Is the Didact 'evil'?

#1OEIO999Posted 2/10/2013 11:53:49 PM
I can't help, but feel sympathy for the guy. I know that he hates humanity, but he does it so passionately that its hard for me to not try and understand his reasoning.
#2RAGEface14Posted 2/10/2013 11:55:26 PM
In this case, evil is quite subjective. No one can decide but you.
---
"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens."
GT: RAGEface14
#3forthnbackPosted 2/11/2013 12:31:36 AM
He isn't, not really.

Over a hundred thousand years ago, ancient humanity got into a war with the Flood when it first arrived. It consumed over a third of their territory, but they managed to defeat it and drive it from the galaxy. During this time, they began rapidly expanding for resources to fight the enemy. They encroached on, and into, Forerunner territory. They also descended on Forerunner-controlled worlds that the parasite had gotten to, and eradicated them to prevent the spread.

The Ecumene Council had no idea why humanity was expanding so rapidly and violently, and why they were burning some Forerunner worlds. So they responded. A thousand year long war began, and despite humanity fighting and beating the Flood (and enduring terrible losses), they managed to really give the Forerunners a run for their money. They killed countless Forerunner, burned countless worlds. The final battle at humanity's capital lasted 50 years alone. The Didact lost all of his children in that battle to human forces.

He always maintained that humans were bigoted, aggressive, and warlike. But over the years of battle, he gained a respect for them as warriors. However, humanity destroyed every piece of evidence they had about the Flood, and the methods they used to defeat it prior to being defeated. And when the Flood came back, due to that and their weakened state from a prolonged war with humanity, he watched his entire culture and the galaxy slowly get subsumed and overrun. Finally, he was forced to eradicate everything in opposition to the Mantle, to stop the Flood.

So, really, he lost everything in every way, and most of it is (from a warped point of view) humanity's fault.
---
lizard_cops5771 - carbine should be called the space chugger
Urdnot_Runt - wat . . . . . . . . . [[GT: Burns Like Dawn]]
#4WrathofAchillesPosted 2/11/2013 2:22:26 AM
To expand on forthnback's post...

Diadact then began to use the composer as a way to stop the flood since they produced the perfect soldiers. They were neither organic nor fully digital and so could not be consumed and turned by the flood whereas all other forces you lost double; the soldier who died and who then was turned into a flood warrior.

And so he began to harvest humanity to be his soldiers because in his view... it was their way of "redemption" for all the crimes they had committed.
---
Sum unum Halorum deorum, tangam te irrumatione.
#5Doubleglock18Posted 2/11/2013 5:12:42 AM
basically he is only evil by virtue of being on the other side. though he should probably let old conflicts die by now. and he isn't.
---
Colt 45 and two zig-zags, Baby that's all we need
We can go to the park, after dark, smoke that tumbleweed!
#6Mr_arizonaPosted 2/11/2013 6:56:42 AM
He is punishing us for the Sins of our ancestors. He blew up a city for something that happened thousands and thousands of years. You'd be mad if someone tried to kill your family cause your great, great, great Grandfather was a war criminal.

So he IS evil this time around. Just cause you understand his POV doesn't mean it makes him less of an ass.
---
http://i.imgur.com/HLzCM.gif
#7TwinmoldPosted 2/11/2013 7:00:09 AM
He's evil. He may have motivations that go beyond, "I like being evil," but he's evil.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheCptDecaf
#8combat_wombat6Posted 2/11/2013 7:12:05 AM
He is evil, not by creation, but by experience. He directly defied the wishes of his own people, Using Prometheans and shield worlds to fight the flood rather than help with the Halo project. Turning humans into Prometheans against the wishes of his own wife. He refused to see anything good in humans and even more refused to ever give up the mantle.
---
XBL GT: Combatwombat6
#9ChariloePosted 2/11/2013 7:40:33 AM
I wouldn't say he's entirely evil, he's just monumentally stubborn.
---
Chariloe http://www.youtube.com/user/Chariloe?feature=mhee
C2 FC: 0175-1657-6468 [BPB]Char: 4986-1275-1328
#10AoENIACPosted 2/11/2013 10:28:13 AM
You know, I never liked this story. The one about how the Forerunners and Humans got into a war because the Humans were expanding in order to fight the Flood. Because the way it is told, by the Librarian, it makes it seem like there was absolutely no communication. Not even a warning. Now these are two races who had prior contact with each other and who both knew the other was civilized and had language. Are you seriously telling me that none of the Forerunners spoke any Human dialects and that none of the Humans spoke Forerunner dialects? I mean, the ancient Humans bothered to learn how to speak the Prophet's language, why didn't they learn how to speak the Forerunner language?

Did the Humans seriously just waltz onto Forerunner worlds, start colonizing and/or burning them and not a single Forerunner sent them a message saying, "EXPLAIN THIS BULL****!" and the Humans didn't even bother replying "NOT NOW, FIGHTING WAR WITH PARASITES!"

And let's suspend our disbelief really far now, let's say that Humans and Forerunners really didn't speak each other's languages... what was stopping them from learning them during the war? It was a ****ing war! You learn your enemy's language during a war! For decoding transmissions, for espionage, and for diplomacy, and so forth. We learned the ****ing Covenant languages when we were fighting them, why not Forerunner?
---
Is there something about the way I type that makes it sound angry? Maybe it's just something about the way you read.