Was/Is the Didact 'evil'?

#11forthnbackPosted 2/11/2013 11:39:22 AM
Did the Humans seriously just waltz onto Forerunner worlds, start colonizing and/or burning them and not a single Forerunner sent them a message saying, "EXPLAIN THIS BULL****!" and the Humans didn't even bother replying "NOT NOW, FIGHTING WAR WITH PARASITES!"

Would read again, lol
---
lizard_cops5771 - carbine should be called the space chugger
Urdnot_Runt - wat . . . . . . . . . [[GT: Burns Like Dawn]]
#12Lord_SpiduxPosted 2/11/2013 11:55:38 AM
You know, I never liked this story. The one about how the Forerunners and Humans got into a war because the Humans were expanding in order to fight the Flood. Because the way it is told, by the Librarian, it makes it seem like there was absolutely no communication. Not even a warning. Now these are two races who had prior contact with each other and who both knew the other was civilized and had language. Are you seriously telling me that none of the Forerunners spoke any Human dialects and that none of the Humans spoke Forerunner dialects? I mean, the ancient Humans bothered to learn how to speak the Prophet's language, why didn't they learn how to speak the Forerunner language?

Did the Humans seriously just waltz onto Forerunner worlds, start colonizing and/or burning them and not a single Forerunner sent them a message saying, "EXPLAIN THIS BULL****!" and the Humans didn't even bother replying "NOT NOW, FIGHTING WAR WITH PARASITES!"

And let's suspend our disbelief really far now, let's say that Humans and Forerunners really didn't speak each other's languages... what was stopping them from learning them during the war? It was a ****ing war! You learn your enemy's language during a war! For decoding transmissions, for espionage, and for diplomacy, and so forth. We learned the ****ing Covenant languages when we were fighting them, why not Forerunner?

I think (could be wrong) that the reason why no communication was given between the two is because the Humans moved on into more territory to escape the flood and get more resources to fight them, in turn the Forerunners pretty much attacked without asking questions, and the Humans took this (I'm guessing) as a sign of disrespect or unwillingness to help so they didn't warn the Forerunners of the flood.

Or maybe they figured if they (Humans+Prophets) could kill off the flood themselves maybe they would become the dominate species in the Galaxy, something the Forerunners had been since humankind had been around.

Again, could be wrong, I dropped out of the lore right around the end of Halo 3, been meaning to get back into it.
---
What do I look like, Mr Frank-****-For-Free? No Doe, Hoe? You can't **** with me
Thizz iz what it iz -- GT - Spidux
#13forthnbackPosted 2/11/2013 12:23:21 PM
If you scroll up a few posts, I've posted a semi-lengthy answer to all of your questions save one; why humanity didn't share their information on the Flood with the Forerunner.

Truth be told, we don't -really- know. Its likely a combination of two things, based on the Forerunner novels. The first, when the Forerunners went to war they did so completely. Victory resulted in the de-evolution of your species or in its total elimination, and either way you were entirely wiped off the galactic map. No sign of your previous culture would remain standing. When faced with this genocide, and when it became clear they were losing, they likely resolved to take the Forerunner with them in case the Flood did indeed come back.

Also, because they learned that the last Precursor they discovered was a Gravemind, and that it claimed the Precursor and the Flood were one and the same. That the Precursor created both humanity and the Forerunner, to see who would inherit the Mantle (they invented many races, and tested them for this purpose. We were just the current stars of the hour). The Forerunner were found wanting, and would be eliminated to allow room for another race to rise to prominence. Humanity would be selected next. The Forerunner were appalled by that, and no one likes genocide, so they rose up in rebellion in ages past and slaughtered the Precursor. All of this, amoungst other secrets it told that the author didn't specify, drove its listeners to kill themselves in despair. So they might have done it so that no one backtracked to the location of the Precursor. He was entrapped in technology they couldn't pierce, so killing him wasn't an option. They could only communicate.
---
lizard_cops5771 - carbine should be called the space chugger
Urdnot_Runt - wat . . . . . . . . . [[GT: Burns Like Dawn]]