"Well, if you've read the books..."

#1thehelpfulgamerPosted 2/11/2013 1:24:26 PM
NO! No. No. Stop right there. I shouldn't have to go outside of the game to understand the non-sense that's going on. I didn't finish school hoping my ****ing video games would start giving me homework. And I could maybe, just MAYBE forgiving them if the game told me what books I should be reading, along with where I can find the latest batch of action figures and other Halo merchandise, you know, not trying to hide the fact that they want you to buy more Halo stuff.

But they don't.

You just walk in and it's all, "Hey Librarian, got an exposition dump for me?" "Sure thing, Chief!" *ploop* "Did you get all that, player? Don't worry, I know you did, but like any true Halo fan you've read the books, am I right? If you haven't, well, too bad. Also, you don't fight a Scarab because that would be somewhat exciting. And we've taken care of the usual annoying final boss fight." *wink*

And while I'm ranting, why does John instantly know how to drive a Mantis? Are the controls the same as an Atari 2600, or something? So simple you can't screw it up?

/rant
---
Bowser: Keeping it real for over 25 years.
#2enterthemadroxPosted 2/11/2013 1:29:39 PM
That's what I hated about Gears Of War 3.

They got Karen Traviss to write the campaign's plot and not only was it a total mess that forced you to go to various different locations just for the hell of it, there were also characters, events and hints at things that you could only know about if you read her Gears Of War books previously with zero explanation in game.

Like you, I buy videogames to have fun, enjoy myself when I have a little free time and sometimes lose myself in a plot if it's a videogame that has one but when you need to own a library of material between games to know what's going on, that's when I switch off mentally.

I'm seriously hoping that Halo 5 and 6 explain things that happened in 4 (campaign and Spartan Ops when it's done) in more detail rather than giving a bibliography of where to find additional material.
---
Getting awfully tired of GameFAQs mods removing my posts for being "offensive" when I've done nothing wrong
#3Lord_SpiduxPosted 2/11/2013 1:34:15 PM
From: enterthemadrox | Posted: 2/11/2013 12:29:39 PM | #002
They got Karen Traviss

She is Satan.
---
What do I look like, Mr Frank-****-For-Free? No Doe, Hoe? You can't **** with me
Thizz iz what it iz -- GT - Spidux
#4BryanPS360Posted 2/11/2013 1:38:34 PM
I understand your frustration, TC.
---
XBGT:ABN THUG 210 PSN: ABNTHUG210
#5Jashin_SamaPosted 2/11/2013 1:40:23 PM
You guys didn't notice you need to read the books and comics to figure out Halo when Halo 3 picked up exactly where Halo 2 didn't leave off?

enterthemadrox posted...
That's what I hated about Gears Of War 3.

They got Karen Traviss to write the campaign's plot and not only was it a total mess that forced you to go to various different locations just for the hell of it, there were also characters, events and hints at things that you could only know about if you read her Gears Of War books previously with zero explanation in game.

Like you, I buy videogames to have fun, enjoy myself when I have a little free time and sometimes lose myself in a plot if it's a videogame that has one but when you need to own a library of material between games to know what's going on, that's when I switch off mentally.

I'm seriously hoping that Halo 5 and 6 explain things that happened in 4 (campaign and Spartan Ops when it's done) in more detail rather than giving a bibliography of where to find additional material.

I'm so sorry for you GoW fans. I'll never rag on you or your game again, knowing the pain you endure.
---
Who the hell is Zilong17? Probably Black Chaos Soldier's alt. - MegaSTV
#6SunDevil77Posted 2/11/2013 1:50:49 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#7Cpt_of_IndustryPosted 2/11/2013 1:52:36 PM
I invested in Wendy's today because Wendy's is awesome. People will see one day soon...

Wendy's all the way.
---
The Jersey Guy
#8enterthemadroxPosted 2/11/2013 1:54:16 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#9VectorChaosPosted 2/11/2013 2:16:03 PM
Jashin_Sama posted...
You guys didn't notice you need to read the books and comics to figure out Halo when Halo 3 picked up exactly where Halo 2 didn't leave off?

If only I didn't have to read the entire book though. If only there was a place that just had all this information, summarized by others for quick reading if neccessary... like some... interconnected... network... of people...
---
PSN: VectorChaos || WTF || XBL: Vector Chaos
I'm the best there is, plain and simple, I mean I wake up in the mornin' and I piss excellence.
#10Demigod_ElessarPosted 2/11/2013 3:06:23 PM
There's a bunch of "Waaaaaah" in this topic.

Even if you don't read books (which I'm assuming is the whole point of this argument?), just look up the plot summaries on Halopedia. There you go, problem solved. You could know and understand the story/info on any of the novels in maybe 5 minutes.

Seriously people, it's not *that* hard.

In the argument's defense... you can't expect them to put EVERY SINGLE THING that happens in Halo fiction in the games? Do you actually expect that to happen? Are you saying, just because it is an inconvenience for you (of having to read a book), the rest of us (who actually do read) shouldn't be able to delve deep into a universe's lore? Because not everything is in the game?

Do you really expect 343 Industries to have explained EVERYTHING that has happened since Halo 3's campaign, all in Halo 4? It's just not going to happen, so you may as well stop expecting it to.

There is nothing wrong with using other forms of media. Halo: Glasslands and Halo: The Thursday War, while leading to Halo 4's plot, have absolutely nothing to do with Halo 4 itself. How strange would it be if Lasky sat down and randomly explained to the Chief everything that happened in those two books, in a cutscene? Hell, Lasky probably doesn't even know of half of those events. It wouldn't make any sense, and would have nothing to do with the plot at that time. That's the whole reason of the books.
---
IRON MAIDEN IS MY RELIGION!
Gamertag: Demigod Elessar