"Well, if you've read the books..."

#21mattdartPosted 2/11/2013 4:50:49 PM
Books are fun to read. Most people don't give them a chance. If you are honestly interested in the story then you should give the books a shot.
#22SrgtStalkerPosted 2/11/2013 4:53:48 PM
mattdart posted...
Books are fun to read. Most people don't give them a chance. If you are honestly interested in the story then you should give the books a shot.

There are some books that I can just not stand to read, but a lot of scifi books I will, especially if they go along with a game.
---
Yeah I'm a stalker what about it?
#23thedeerzordPosted 2/11/2013 4:57:22 PM
SrgtStalker posted...
mattdart posted...

There are some books that I can just not stand to read, but a lot of scifi books I will, especially if they go along with a game.

When you say you can't stand some of the novels. Do you mean Glasslands and Thursday war?
---
I WILL DESTROY ALL OF YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
#24SrgtStalkerPosted 2/11/2013 5:02:10 PM
thedeerzord posted...
SrgtStalker posted...
mattdart posted...

When you say you can't stand some of the novels. Do you mean Glasslands and Thursday war?

There are some books that I just can't to read* and no haha I loved those books actually, I just meant books in general.
---
Yeah I'm a stalker what about it?
#25Jashin_SamaPosted 2/11/2013 5:27:05 PM
Demigod_Elessar posted...
In the argument's defense... you can't expect them to put EVERY SINGLE THING that happens in Halo fiction in the games? Do you actually expect that to happen? Are you saying, just because it is an inconvenience for you (of having to read a book), the rest of us (who actually do read) shouldn't be able to delve deep into a universe's lore? Because not everything is in the game?

Alternatively, they could cram as much information into the game as they can and then make a story based around what they can fit. Or, you know... just provide the most basic of information for the player. Would it have been impossibly difficult to toss in even two lines of dialogue of Chief asking why the Covenant (as far as he sees it) are back in Purge Humanity Mode and getting a solid answer? I don't need them to tell me what happened to the Arbiter or how many people showed up to Johnson's funeral, how many people are on the Infinity, or precisely how many rounds of Assault Rifle ammunition the Infinity carries... but why am I wrong for not wanting to refer to the internet or a book to find out why I'm fighting someone? The Didact explains himself solidly enough, yes... but the Storm Covenant is just kinda there in your face for no reason as far as the player knows.

There's a point where "Refer to the books/comics!" is the answer of a lazy developer who couldn't be bothered to provide the most basic of information in a story. The books are supposed to expand the world and story, not tell the whole story. Remember: Halo is a game first, and a book second. This isn't a series that started as books, and one can be expected to read the books to get the whole story.

I don't even mind books and comics expanding the story or world or lore of a series. I actually love it. I'm really big on the Star Wars EU for this reason. But I don't need the EU to explain to me what happens in the movies; it expands on what happens, and fills in gaps. Those gaps have never, however, been so jarringly large that I needed the books. Which is the issue with Halo; the books carried absolutely essential details to the plot and the story made no sense without these details.
---
Who the hell is Zilong17? Probably Black Chaos Soldier's alt. - MegaSTV
#26Xcalibur02Posted 2/11/2013 5:54:41 PM
I don't get this complaint. I didn't read the book, and I understood what was going on. Am I just not putting that much thought into it?
---
Grammar: The difference between knowing your **** and knowing you're ****
#27Xcalibur02Posted 2/11/2013 5:56:19 PM
Cpt_of_Industry posted...
I invested in Wendy's today because Wendy's is awesome. People will see one day soon...

Wendy's all the way.

Wendy's > McDonalds
---
Grammar: The difference between knowing your **** and knowing you're ****
#28Leighton04Posted 2/11/2013 6:24:28 PM
Jashin_Sama posted...
Demigod_Elessar posted...
In the argument's defense... you can't expect them to put EVERY SINGLE THING that happens in Halo fiction in the games? Do you actually expect that to happen? Are you saying, just because it is an inconvenience for you (of having to read a book), the rest of us (who actually do read) shouldn't be able to delve deep into a universe's lore? Because not everything is in the game?

Alternatively, they could cram as much information into the game as they can and then make a story based around what they can fit. Or, you know... just provide the most basic of information for the player. Would it have been impossibly difficult to toss in even two lines of dialogue of Chief asking why the Covenant (as far as he sees it) are back in Purge Humanity Mode and getting a solid answer? I don't need them to tell me what happened to the Arbiter or how many people showed up to Johnson's funeral, how many people are on the Infinity, or precisely how many rounds of Assault Rifle ammunition the Infinity carries... but why am I wrong for not wanting to refer to the internet or a book to find out why I'm fighting someone? The Didact explains himself solidly enough, yes... but the Storm Covenant is just kinda there in your face for no reason as far as the player knows.

There's a point where "Refer to the books/comics!" is the answer of a lazy developer who couldn't be bothered to provide the most basic of information in a story. The books are supposed to expand the world and story, not tell the whole story. Remember: Halo is a game first, and a book second. This isn't a series that started as books, and one can be expected to read the books to get the whole story.

I don't even mind books and comics expanding the story or world or lore of a series. I actually love it. I'm really big on the Star Wars EU for this reason. But I don't need the EU to explain to me what happens in the movies; it expands on what happens, and fills in gaps. Those gaps have never, however, been so jarringly large that I needed the books. Which is the issue with Halo; the books carried absolutely essential details to the plot and the story made no sense without these details.

In the first mission Cortana even says something to the effect of "They're not the Covenant, they're a splinter group."
---
I am the law
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yLFYJrirzQ&feature=related
#29Kazuma_YagamiPosted 2/11/2013 6:48:25 PM
Who cares why you kill aliens just do it because its fun.
#30EDarienPosted 2/11/2013 7:08:20 PM
SrgtStalker posted...
To the comment regarding the Didact having the force,

As an immensely powerful Forerunner with incredibly advanced technologies at his disposal, the Didact has a number of extraordinary abilities. He has the capability to generate and control powerful constraint fields at will,[26] in effect granting him the power of telekinesis to restrain or physically harm his opponents. This was demonstrated when he used this ability on John-117, immobilizing him and causing him to float helplessly in the air, before throwing him against a wall.[15] Later, during the confrontation aboard his ship, he inflicted direct physical harm on the Spartan, who was only saved by Cortana's intervention.[27]
He can also manipulate the architecture of areas under his control, such as within Requiem or his ship. For example, he disintegrated a wall John-117 was taking cover behind,[15] and later manipulated the platforms inside a tower on Requiem to hinder the Master Chief's progress.[28] He has direct control over his mechanical Promethean armies, and was capable of returning them to his command with a mere gesture.[15] The Didact was also capable of speaking to John-117 via a form of telepathy after the latter received the Librarian's genetic modifications; whether this is an innate biological ability or one facilitated by technology remains unknown.[28]

The amazing things you can do with the internet.

Absolutely nothing you put answers my comment about the Force. You can copy and paste anything you want about what his powers are, but none of that explained why he had it. They don't say that the Forerunners all had this power, which is very unlikely considering how well the humans were doing in the war despite fighting the Forerunner and the Flood.

Be condescending all you like, but you didn't answer anything, you ignored that I already said I read up on the wiki and your entire post is moot.
---
Lali-ho!