DAE cringe when people say "I shouldn't have to read books to get the story,"?

#11thehelpfulgamerPosted 2/12/2013 11:37:19 PM
Lol. This guy.

I shouldn't have to read books to get the story. I shouldn't have to read books to get the story. I shouldn't have to read books to get the story. I shouldn't have to read books to get the story. I shouldn't have to read books to get the story. I shouldn't have to read books to get the story. I shouldn't have to read books to get the story. I shouldn't have to read books to get the story...
---
Bowser: Keeping it real for over 25 years.
#12KageNoSenshiPosted 2/13/2013 2:55:12 AM
#10 AlphusUltimus Posted
halo you can still get from just the game. gears however you need to read to books to find out half the characters and backstory. they never even tell you why the queen of the locusts looks human.

Because she was human?
---
MvC3 Mains - Spidey(Y)/Deadpool(B)/Doom(B) | Experimenting: Phoenix(A)/Dante/(Y)/Doom(B)
XBL GT: KageSenshi ------ Chikara - Chie - Yuuki
#13rincewind1990Posted 2/13/2013 3:22:24 AM
KageNoSenshi posted...
#10 AlphusUltimus Posted
halo you can still get from just the game. gears however you need to read to books to find out half the characters and backstory. they never even tell you why the queen of the locusts looks human.

Because she was human?

It was never confirmed one way or the other in game or in any of the other media but apparently comments made by Dave Nash and reinforced by Karen Traviss and Cliff Bleszinski on Epics forums confirmed that she is a human.
#14KageNoSenshiPosted 2/13/2013 3:36:32 AM
Does that really need to be said though?
---
MvC3 Mains - Spidey(Y)/Deadpool(B)/Doom(B) | Experimenting: Phoenix(A)/Dante/(Y)/Doom(B)
XBL GT: KageSenshi ------ Chikara - Chie - Yuuki
#15VauntXPosted 2/13/2013 4:01:18 AM
I want to know what comes after the comma...
#16enterthemadroxPosted 2/13/2013 11:36:23 AM
Wookie_Is_Back posted...
The last Halo book I read was Ghosts of Onyx and Halo 4 didn't confuse me a single bit. Whatever questions I have, I know will be answered. That's the point of a damn story arc across 2 future games and who knows how many seasons of Spartan Ops.

I honestly cringe when people say those words simply because I know it's some adolescent random that one, shouldn't even own the game to play, and two, keep screaming for instant gratification and have zero patience. Game companies listen to these people sometimes and it's NEVER good.

I'm not an adolescent at all so throw that accusation right out. I also have tons of patience too, I'd just rather not have a game that features characters and situations that follow on from a book and doesn't explain things to people who would rather not go out of their way to hunt down extra material down to know who people are and what their motivations are.

Gears 3 did this with the main campaign by giving us the Jace character and not explaining him, where he came from, anything about him. Idiots threw out the "lol, u should read the books then" response but if it's a franchise I never cared about like Gears or Halo then why should I?

Then you have morons with the "it only took me a few minutes to look online". Sure, there is that but again, why should you have to go on a laptop or computer in the middle of a gaming session just to find out who someone is?

Just stop being lazy and put a nugget of information in the game because not everyone can or wants to go reading elsewhere when they just wanna play a game for 30 minutes now and then.

It's worse when you have a franchise end (like Gears) and apparently still have unanswered questions because the games never explained things from previous entries in the series.
---
"If you don't like something, don't watch it again. Why whinge about it on a forum to a load of divs? Don't worry about it." - Karl Pilkington
#17PoppadopPosted 2/13/2013 2:13:01 PM
SunDevil77 posted...
The books are actually quite good, too. More people should read 'em.

Well, most of them are good anyway *eyes Traviss-ty's novels*

enterthemadrox posted...
Just stop being lazy and put a nugget of information in the game because not everyone can or wants to go reading elsewhere when they just wanna play a game for 30 minutes now and then.

So, you care about the story enough to complain that some elements aren't in the games, but not so much to read other media?
You know, Mass Effect actually does have exposition for stuff that happens in its books. Then again, it's an RPG. FPSs [and their fans] aren't really known for excessive story focus.
---
"Today, science fiction - tomorrow, science fact." ~ Isaac Asimov
"What's the point of living if you don't believe in anything?" ~ Me
#18lderivedxPosted 2/13/2013 2:16:33 PM
The bad storytelling apologists are hilarious.
---
I was never aiming to be mature though. I was aiming to be right and dammit, I've got good aim. - MrSty GT: i derive dx
#19FrankWest2008Posted 2/13/2013 2:19:21 PM(edited)
Reading the books may shed a little more light on some aspects of the story, but are by no means necessary to understand or enjoy the plot of any Halo game. Most of the books are great reads and entertaining, but don't add much at this point that isn't already shown in the games or the terminals.
---
GT:ChuckGreene2011
"It's not over yet!"- Liquid Snake, MGS1
#20FrankWest2008Posted 2/13/2013 2:18:36 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]