i hate that k/d thing they have it shouldnt be in halo

#11Mr_arizonaPosted 2/14/2013 3:09:50 PM
2 kinds of the same one can intertwine with the curve of uh... Huh...?
---
http://i.imgur.com/HLzCM.gif
#12elitewarrior500Posted 2/14/2013 3:39:14 PM
now post it in english?
---
E=mc^(OMG)/wtf
GT: Ceph Falco
#13KageNoSenshiPosted 2/15/2013 2:07:50 AM
#9 EDarien Posted
Kage, always nice to have you randomly jump in, give an opinion without clarification or purpose and then flutter off again.

Time wasn't exactly plentiful for me at the time... I can certainly pick that post apart though...

"In a game like CoD K/D is actually very easy to inflate through camping and other "cheap" tactics."
Unless putting "cheap" represented sarcasm on your end, this was fail #1.

"My K/D on record is horrible. Let me get that out of the way. However, when I do play MM it's often Objective and SWAT."
Making excuses. Probably more like you mostly play Objective and SWAT because your K/D is bad.

"The reason I bring this up is that SWAT plays a lot like CoD simply by not having shields. One pistol shot from across the map is instant-death. That's how all the guns work in CoD."
Actually, very few weapons in CoD can kill in one shot from across the map. Pretty sure there aren't any pistols at all that can do it.

Unless you're talking about hardcore. But that's where all the bad people play anyway so it's not really relevant.

"Arcade-style games like that have no business with stats. It's all just random running and gunning for the sake of "I shot you in the FACE!" Which is fun and can help decompress after a long day, but brings nothing to gaming in the regards of skill or competitive play. Halo is a game of skill and stats help keep track of that."
Halo is arcade. Contradictory much?

"I feel like if I only played regular Slayer, my K/D would likely hover 1.5-2.0."
Doubtful. By the admission that your K/D is "horrible", I'd imagine your current K/D is no more than 0.8. Your K/D has to be bad for even you to think you're not even "decent" or "not that bad." And somehow I find it very difficult that your K/D is about 1/2 (or possibly even nearly 1/3) of what it "should" be if you only played Slayer.

"However, I would like to see things like K/D and win% be shown more in context of gametypes."
W/L and K/D already are tracked separately across gametypes.

"again randoms can dump a 5:1 player into 20% win rate with nothing he can do."
If you are actually good enough to consistently manage to be a significant positive factor when you play, you will still win more often than you lose unless your luck is SO bad that you almost always run into competent enemy parties.

As proof of concept, I'll post my game history in Reach from earlier in the month: http://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/players/kagesenshi/haloreach/gamehistory. I'm not sure if waypoint is just broken for me or what but the individual game histories seem to only work when they want to. However, there many games where my KDS was +15 or more. Even one where my KDS was +29, which means that I had about 3/5 of my team's total score by myself. And iirc there are games (I know there's at least one) where I was the only person on my team w/ a KDS > 1 and my team still won.

And even disregarding the fact that I hadn't played Reach in months, I'm not even that good in the first place. So if I can do it, I know all the people who are better than I can do it too.

Bad post is bad.
---
MvC3 Mains - Spidey(Y)/Deadpool(B)/Doom(B) | Experimenting: Phoenix(A)/Dante/(Y)/Doom(B)
XBL GT: KageSenshi ------ Chikara - Chie - Yuuki
#14winged_weltallPosted 2/15/2013 7:11:33 AM
^I'm not going to post arguments against what you said, I respectfully disagree with a few things you said but agree with other things you said...

But the guy you quoted, when he said:

"again randoms can dump a 5:1 player into 20% win rate with nothing he can do."

I haven't got a bad K/D in Halo 4, but for some reason I still lose more than I win in Halo 4. I honestly can't explain this, does Halo 4 try to put people with good K/Ds in worse teams? I usually play BTB. I've had K/D spreads of over +30 but most of those games I lost. I've been playing online matchmaking since Halo 2 and never experienced this before, to me, in every single Halo game for someone to have a good K/D automatically meant his W/L ratio was good too. Halo 4 seems to be an exception though, to me it seems like players got worse with every installment in the series, Halo 4 players seem to be horrible.

I'd be interested to hear what you have in response to that, because it really is beyond me. The fact that I got better and that's why everyone seems worse, I don't think that's the case. If I watch people play, doing stupid s*** seems a common practice for almost every player. I've played with people who've had a K/D spread of -40 or more so many times, and they were actually trying their best considering what I saw in theater mode right after.
---
Gamertag: Private Filth
#15Asherlee10Posted 2/15/2013 7:19:34 AM
winged_weltall posted...
I haven't got a bad K/D in Halo 4, but for some reason I still lose more than I win in Halo 4. I honestly can't explain this, does Halo 4 try to put people with good K/Ds in worse teams?

I understand 100%. It's the same thing with me, too. I rarely play with friends and mostly play with randoms and my Win percentage is only 51%. I am one of the few people that try to use teamwork and help fellow teammates that may be in trouble. I've gotten a lot of Avenger/Protector medals.

I just don't get it. My slayer K/D is something like 2.44.
---
"Opinions should be a result of a thought, not a substitute for it."
#16KageNoSenshiPosted 2/15/2013 7:40:13 AM
#14 winged_weltall Posted
[stuff]

There are two possible explanations I can think of when it comes to this.

This first is kinda complicated. The theory is this: just because you have a positive KDS doesn't mean you're being a positive factor for your team. It certainly means you're not hurting your team, but it doesn't necessarily mean that you're exactly hurting the other team's chances of winning either. You have to be able to put the enemy in disadvantageous situations and kill their momentum. Also, killing more than you die may not be as significant if you're not engaging the better players on the other team.

My other theory is a lot simpler: instant respawn likely amplifies bad players' badness. Not having to wait to respawn gives people more chances to die. Given your example, I would imagine that it's a lot harder to go -40 if have to wait 5 or more seconds to get back into the action everytime you die. But the system gives them that much more of an opportunity to hurt their team w/ repeated and unnecessary deaths.
---
MvC3 Mains - Spidey(Y)/Deadpool(B)/Doom(B) | Experimenting: Phoenix(A)/Dante/(Y)/Doom(B)
#17Asherlee10Posted 2/15/2013 7:41:57 AM
KageNoSenshi posted...
My other theory is a lot simpler: instant respawn likely amplifies bad players' badness

I think this is it. I will notice the bottom half of my team generally looks like this:

6 - 22
4 - 15
---
#18KageNoSenshiPosted 2/15/2013 7:44:23 AM
I must be tired because I'm skipping a lot of words in my posts...
---
#19Asherlee10Posted 2/15/2013 7:44:57 AM
It was still legible, unlike a lot folks around here.
---
#20winged_weltallPosted 2/15/2013 8:17:01 AM
KageNoSenshi posted...
#14 winged_weltall Posted
[stuff]

My other theory is a lot simpler: instant respawn likely amplifies bad players' badness. Not having to wait to respawn gives people more chances to die. Given your example, I would imagine that it's a lot harder to go -40 if have to wait 5 or more seconds to get back into the action everytime you die. But the system gives them that much more of an opportunity to hurt their team w/ repeated and unnecessary deaths.

Actually that does make a lot of sense, really didn't think about it. I can see what you mean in your first theory, but I do try to win every single game I play by being a positive factor for the team. I try to ignore my K/D as much as possible, not dying used to be my first priority, until I noticed I'd up my chances if I tried to make my team mates not die by saving their asses as much as I can.
---
Gamertag: Private Filth