i hate that k/d thing they have it shouldnt be in halo

#21yoshiisbackPosted 2/15/2013 7:59:10 AM
Kage, stop acting like you know anything about competitive halo. You're too bad to be making these assertions.
---
XBL GT: Yoshi eats
#22EDarienPosted 2/15/2013 8:46:37 AM
So you're saying that camping isn't a cheap tactic, but simply a unique strategy employed by skilled players?

You can call excuses if you like. But I know my history. The first game of actual Infinity Slayer I can think of that I've played was a few days ago. Up until then I, as I said, only played objectives and SWAT. Oh, and when I first started playing, I got some Flood in there just to see how it was. My K/D, overall hovered .8-.9 when those were the only gametypes I was playing. Since playing IS, I've noticed that my K/D in those matches is averaging somewhere between 1.5-2.0, usually in the 1.8-1.9 area.

In CoD, automatic weapons are king. A single trigger pull, firing 4-5 bullets in a VERY tight grouping from across the map is very common. This is the same as a single pistol bullet in SWAT as it takes the same amount of time to fire the one shot from the magnum as it does the 4-5 from any random automatic, pinpoint accurate gun in CoD.

That you consistently say certain game-modes are where the bad players play really just speaks to your own skill in them. Although I've stopped playing CoD, I liked both the regular and the hardcore. What's nice about Hardcore was that it made some of the "precision" weapons more realistic in being able to kill with a headshot. Otherwise it was just more of the same with faster-paced play in an already overly-paced game.

Halo is arcade but employs mechanics to negate, in their standard playlists, the "I saw you first, so I win" style of gameplay that defines the CoD MP. Many times have I both been able to escape and kill my ambusher in Halo, as well as I've fallen for an enemy tactic which gets me killed. This is called strategy and is only possible when it takes longer than 1.5 seconds to kill someone. Yes, they're both "arcade" but with vastly different mechanics which encourage different styles of gameplay.

I've already addressed my K/D in your other point.

They are, but I've actually been myself looking mostly at Halotracker for a quick synopsis of how I've been doing in IS opposed to previously where I was only playing other gametypes. I haven't actually taken any time to dissect my data, but you're right that it can be viewed that way on waypoint.

You're pre-supposing that bad luck can't string together and cause an otherwise good player to end up on bad teams. The two posters after both pointed out their own anecdotes to the same of being positive players, but that not being enough to carry a team. I do agree that instant respawn is the major culprit in exacerbating this situation, though. As someone pointed out the bottom tier of the team looking like 5-20. I've ran into a lot of similar. Heck, yesterday I had two players on the same console and one did ok, the other went 1-20+.

Your anecdotal evidence of carrying a team doesn't negate anecdotal evidence that someone's win% is low from bad luck in teammates vs opponents. It's a case by case basis and while I'm sure the whole of the Halo population spreads in a nice curve, as all statistics of the sort do, outliers will always exist. I am not saying that it's the common, I'm saying that it's possible. There's a pretty big difference.

"Bad post is bad."

You may not agree with what I've said, but almost all of your points were assumptions or speculation. Mine are observations and possibilities. I don't pretend my experience is the norm, simply that it's my experience. Your simple assertion that "bad post is bad" is a judgement of opinion with, again, no facts to back up your claim.

TL;DR : My anecdotes are used to argue possibility. Your anecdotes are cited as if they're universal fact. The 'If I can do it, it must be true for everyone,' argument never works in actual debate.
---
Lali-ho!
#23Asherlee10Posted 2/15/2013 8:48:53 AM
*claps*

EDarien swoops in with the winning post. Dayum.
---
"Opinions should be a result of a thought, not a substitute for it."
#24thehelpfulgamerPosted 2/15/2013 1:55:32 PM
MR_NEEDLER posted...
what

---
Bowser: Keeping it real for over 25 years.
#25lderivedxPosted 2/15/2013 2:05:06 PM
In CoD, automatic weapons are king.

FAL would like a word.

Since playing IS, I've noticed that my K/D in those matches is averaging somewhere between 1.5-2.0, usually in the 1.8-1.9 area.

If you're just started playing IS, then your swat and IS kd are not comparable since your trueskill on IS is likely much lower.

A single trigger pull, firing 4-5 bullets in a VERY tight grouping from across the map is very common.

No, not really.
---
Derive's posts are like orgasms... that actually revolve around logic and reasoning. I enjoy reading them. - MIxeD
#26EDarienPosted 2/15/2013 5:03:09 PM
lderivedx posted...
In CoD, automatic weapons are king.

FAL would like a word.

Since playing IS, I've noticed that my K/D in those matches is averaging somewhere between 1.5-2.0, usually in the 1.8-1.9 area.

If you're just started playing IS, then your swat and IS kd are not comparable since your trueskill on IS is likely much lower.

A single trigger pull, firing 4-5 bullets in a VERY tight grouping from across the map is very common.

No, not really.

I was wondering when you'd chime in, Derive. FAL was actually my weapon of choice in the older CoD MW that I played. I wish I could remember which one(s), but it's been a few years and, as I said, I stopped playing them at MW 3 and have no intention of buying them as they come out anymore. Perhaps in a bargain bin if I'm bored, but I'm done supporting CoD. The FAL was statistically inferior to various automatics, though. I even went and looked it up on the FAQs here for whichever game(s) I was playing because I was consistently disappointed in what I felt should have been a better gun. In HC mode, however, it was viable for headshots. And only HC mode, which I addressed in my post, if you'll notice I said I preferred precision weapons and FAL was my favorite.

SWAT gets calculated as Slayer, so I'm not sure about the TS, actually. I noted that Waypoint does actually separate your K/D by playlist, however after I posted I went to check it out and noted Slayer and BTB are included in Slayer. They're all considered the same as far as stats are concerned it looks like, so I see no reason for them to combine them all for your stats but somehow maintain a separate TS. Especially noting that I've played both with and against organized teams I've noticed. So, unless those teams also just started, I have to stick w/ thinking it's all combined unless I see otherwise.

"No, not really," once again not an argument. I won't sit here and get into an "Uh-huh," "Nuh-uh," with you, though.
---
Lali-ho!
#27lderivedxPosted 2/15/2013 6:54:22 PM(edited)
"No, not really," once again not an argument

And likewise asserting something to be true does not make it so. You're not going to commonly hit someone with the required 4-5 bullets from across the map unless they're not moving.

all for your stats but somehow maintain a separate TS.

It has to be by playlist instead of gametype else doubles, objective, and forge maps would have issues. Your version involves exceptions and is thus less likely (and more complex) than keeping trueskill per playlist, and the only reason to believe your version would be because it's possible.

The FAL was statistically inferior to various automatics, though.

No. The only ARs to beat its ttk were the two 3burst rifles, which are not considered automatics (and oddly enough also support the falsity of your claim that autos are king.)

You had made the claim that automatic weapons were king in CoD, however in each iteration (except W@W as I have not played it), the semiautos have been excellent and exempting perhaps the MW3 M16 pre-patch (and maybe post as well, I'm not sure), definitely not the worst AR. Notice this is not the same as claiming the best weapon is an automatic weapon.

I generally choose my arguments carefully so feel free not to respond.
---
I bet you're one of those people who ruin my mainslaying by going -15 so stop saying that other people ruin gaming.-im r awful gt:i derive dx
#28EDarienPosted 2/15/2013 7:31:13 PM
True and possible are two different things. I've seen the autos, played the game. Gotten killed across maps, albeit their maps aren't as big as Halo 4 maps, but still across their maps with those guns. Killcams in those games are actually good, unlike Halo's. So, if they're to be believed, I saw the autos and what they're capable of doing. Again, anecdotal backed up only by what the FAQs at the time were saying the stats of damage, TTK, RPM, and spread were for each of the weapons.

No, it doesn't have to be playlist. Again, your certainties by opinion. The stats for SWAT, BTB and Slayer are all combined. So why would it be such a leap to predict TS is different? Your way of having TS by playlist alone does make sense, intuitively, but the evidence of where the numbers are currently being combined leads one to believe otherwise. Again, I'm not asserting that I'm definitely right, but evidence says it's more likely that stats are kept together. If stats for various playlists are being combined, for whatever reason they choose, so would the TS stat that's determined by those stats. I'm, unlike you, not speaking of a certainty that I can't confirm. I'm speaking of probability based on the data at hand.

You can tout a theoretical TTK, but Carbine in this game has a better TTK than the DMR, but doesn't make it the better gun. There are other factors, such as holding the trigger for 1.5 seconds or pressing it twice while keeping crosshairs over target over 1.3 seconds. The numbers are imaginary, but used to demonstrate the point. A slightly faster TTK on a weapon that requires more effort and timing to use doesn't make it a better weapon overall. Human and technological limitations need to be factored in, including but not limited to reaction time, muscle response and lag/connection speed.

Not carefully enough, perhaps. You can cite one piece of evidence in your entire post, the TTK. And even that, in Halo's weapons, shows that it alone is not a deciding factor for best weapon.
---
Lali-ho!
#29Scooby510Posted 2/15/2013 8:31:15 PM
EDarien posted...
So you're saying that camping isn't a cheap tactic, but simply a unique strategy employed by skilled players?

You can call excuses if you like. But I know my history. The first game of actual Infinity Slayer I can think of that I've played was a few days ago. Up until then I, as I said, only played objectives and SWAT. Oh, and when I first started playing, I got some Flood in there just to see how it was. My K/D, overall hovered .8-.9 when those were the only gametypes I was playing. Since playing IS, I've noticed that my K/D in those matches is averaging somewhere between 1.5-2.0, usually in the 1.8-1.9 area.

In CoD, automatic weapons are king. A single trigger pull, firing 4-5 bullets in a VERY tight grouping from across the map is very common. This is the same as a single pistol bullet in SWAT as it takes the same amount of time to fire the one shot from the magnum as it does the 4-5 from any random automatic, pinpoint accurate gun in CoD.

That you consistently say certain game-modes are where the bad players play really just speaks to your own skill in them. Although I've stopped playing CoD, I liked both the regular and the hardcore. What's nice about Hardcore was that it made some of the "precision" weapons more realistic in being able to kill with a headshot. Otherwise it was just more of the same with faster-paced play in an already overly-paced game.

Halo is arcade but employs mechanics to negate, in their standard playlists, the "I saw you first, so I win" style of gameplay that defines the CoD MP. Many times have I both been able to escape and kill my ambusher in Halo, as well as I've fallen for an enemy tactic which gets me killed. This is called strategy and is only possible when it takes longer than 1.5 seconds to kill someone. Yes, they're both "arcade" but with vastly different mechanics which encourage different styles of gameplay.

I've already addressed my K/D in your other point.

They are, but I've actually been myself looking mostly at Halotracker for a quick synopsis of how I've been doing in IS opposed to previously where I was only playing other gametypes. I haven't actually taken any time to dissect my data, but you're right that it can be viewed that way on waypoint.

You're pre-supposing that bad luck can't string together and cause an otherwise good player to end up on bad teams. The two posters after both pointed out their own anecdotes to the same of being positive players, but that not being enough to carry a team. I do agree that instant respawn is the major culprit in exacerbating this situation, though. As someone pointed out the bottom tier of the team looking like 5-20. I've ran into a lot of similar. Heck, yesterday I had two players on the same console and one did ok, the other went 1-20+.

Your anecdotal evidence of carrying a team doesn't negate anecdotal evidence that someone's win% is low from bad luck in teammates vs opponents. It's a case by case basis and while I'm sure the whole of the Halo population spreads in a nice curve, as all statistics of the sort do, outliers will always exist. I am not saying that it's the common, I'm saying that it's possible. There's a pretty big difference.

"Bad post is bad."

You may not agree with what I've said, but almost all of your points were assumptions or speculation. Mine are observations and possibilities. I don't pretend my experience is the norm, simply that it's my experience. Your simple assertion that "bad post is bad" is a judgement of opinion with, again, no facts to back up your claim.

TL;DR : My anecdotes are used to argue possibility. Your anecdotes are cited as if they're universal fact. The 'If I can do it, it must be true for everyone,' argument never works in actual debate.

nerd
---
Lil B is my friend.
#30lderivedxPosted 2/15/2013 9:58:40 PM
No, it doesn't have to be playlist

Doubles, forge, and objective all have different gametypes. If it doesn't have to be by playlist, then it's by gametype. Since the gametype isn't decided until you've already matched players, the trueskill can not be stored by gametype. So what about these gametypes?

The rest of your post is a joke.
---
in PvP... the Grammardin is invincible. But in PvM I find the Mathazon to be much stronger... as long as you've maxed out Derivatives.-wing